MKIIc+ Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had EL34’s in my DR and DRG but now I prefer Sovtek 5881’s with nos Chinese 12ax7’s. The 5881’s tame some of the brightness.

MESA branded Sylvania STR-416's are the way to go. Yes they are expensive and hard to find, but WELL worth it. Nothing compares in my opinion. I have a pair of Phillips 7581A's that do the job nicely, as well.

Thanx for the replies.... I purchased 2 EL34's to try, first to try in my 2:90 based on a u tube demo, but when i got em , i put them in C+. Since the head is my starting point. After a few days, i put the original tubes back in head ( which are 415's... very old ) They seem to be the most reliable. I'm a picky sob, im always doin this , that and the other. Even tho the 415's are 20 + yrs. old, shud I worry? Peace to everyone, James

Henz said:
Even tho the 415's are 20 + yrs. old, shud I worry? Peace to everyone, James
As long as the 415 works, age doesn't matter, they're probably better than anything you can buy, and as Joey says as well. the 416 is also the best EL34 in my experience. Other tubes just doesn't come close.

Thanx for the reply. Yep , i will. The 415 s have always been there, reliable for me. Blessings, James

the Mesa STR-416 was made by Sylvania (as were the 415's).
That said if you can find some old Sylvania EL-34's in the correct bias range get them as they are the same tube.
The beauty of the 416's is they give you the chime of an EL34 but seem to have the fullness and bottom end of the STR-415's (aka 6L6's).
They are simply amazing tubes!

After getting my first pair I was so stunned by how the C+ sounded I played through it using only Class-A for months.
I still love the way it sounds in Class-A with 416's/ Sylvania El-34's!

Thanx for the reply. Are the EL34( 416's)( if i am understanding this correctly, the 416's are EL34's?) still on the market? Man, that sounds like thats what I need. I also usually only play in class A. Blessings to all, James

Henz said:
Are the EL34( 416's)( if i am understanding this correctly, the 416's are EL34's?) still on the market?

Yes the Mesa StR-416's are relabeled Sylvania EL-34's. Same tune different label.
They haven't been made for years.
The only way to get them is to find and buy some used ones or find/ buy New Old Stock (NOS) tubes.

These are long lasting tubes (10,000 hour tube) so buying used shouldn't be of concerns.
Do your homework, ask the seller for whatever info they on on the tubes and you should be fine with a used pair.

I have two pair of NOS and they cost a pretty penny. :shock:
But those in my C+'s were bought used and have been going strong for a few years now.

Latest posts

Back