Replace the grill cloth

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Post Reply
Zen
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Replace the grill cloth

Post by Zen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:02 pm

I'd like to change the grill cloth on my 5:50Ex+. I've read up on it some but I hoped someone here would have some advice about removing the grill and replacing it. I'll even build a new frame and stretch new fabric to preserve the original. Thanks

Zen
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Zen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Something's I'd appreciate clarification on:

Is the grill fabric wrapped around the baffle or is it a separate frame that's wrapped with fabric

What are the 4 screws threw the front of the grill?

I'd prefer not to remove the baffle if possible an only deal with the fabric and piping.

User avatar
Authorized Boogie
Mark IV
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: Petaluma, California
Contact:

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Authorized Boogie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:26 pm

Zen wrote:Something's I'd appreciate clarification on:

Is the grill fabric wrapped around the baffle or is it a separate frame that's wrapped with fabric

What are the 4 screws threw the front of the grill?

I'd prefer not to remove the baffle if possible an only deal with the fabric and piping.
The Grille frame is separate from the Baffle (which is dado'd, nailed and glued in place)

Thanks
MESA/Boogie - Product Specialist/Customer Service - http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/index.html

Zen
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Zen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:04 pm

That's great news and what I hoped for.

- What are the 4 screws through the front of the grill doing, do you know?
- Any tips on pulling the grill without messing with the baffle?

User avatar
Authorized Boogie
Mark IV
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: Petaluma, California
Contact:

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Authorized Boogie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Zen wrote:That's great news and what I hoped for.

- What are the 4 screws through the front of the grill doing, do you know?
- Any tips on pulling the grill without messing with the baffle?
The 4 screws are holding the Grille to the Baffle. Simply remove the 4 screws and the Baffle is free.
MESA/Boogie - Product Specialist/Customer Service - http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/index.html

Zen
Bottle Rocket
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 pm

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Zen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Wait. First you said the baffle is "dado'd, nailed and glued in place". Then you said "remove the 4 screws and the baffle is free". My hope is to remove the grill without effecting the baffle at all. More precisely, if I remove the grill, is the baffle still secured to the amp case? Hopefully it is so that when I remove the 4 front screws the grill will come away with the piping and then I'll fabricate a new grill with a different fabric.

The schematics I've found only show the amp, tube, and speaker components. There's really nothing about the case construction or the grill. IS there anything like that that you can refer me too. It would be a help.

Thanks for your time.

User avatar
Authorized Boogie
Mark IV
Posts: 679
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:12 pm
Location: Petaluma, California
Contact:

Re: Replace the grill cloth

Post by Authorized Boogie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:57 am

Zen wrote:Wait. First you said the baffle is "dado'd, nailed and glued in place". Then you said "remove the 4 screws and the baffle is free". My hope is to remove the grill without effecting the baffle at all. More precisely, if I remove the grill, is the baffle still secured to the amp case? Hopefully it is so that when I remove the 4 front screws the grill will come away with the piping and then I'll fabricate a new grill with a different fabric.

The schematics I've found only show the amp, tube, and speaker components. There's really nothing about the case construction or the grill. IS there anything like that that you can refer me too. It would be a help.

Thanks for your time.
Sorry, remove the 4 screws and the Grille is free.

There are no "schematics" for cabinet assembly...simply remove the 4 screws and you're good to go!
MESA/Boogie - Product Specialist/Customer Service - http://www.mesaboogie.com/support/index.html

Post Reply