mark 3 serial numbers

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up a Black Dot/X MkIII s/n 160XX, dated sept '85. It's fully loaded, and has the X-101 transformer; plus, it came with three STR 415s and an oddball Chinese 6L6...

Best sounding MkIII I've ever owned, in terms of sweetness to the singing tone on the lead channel. It's definitely that much closer to the MkIIC+ than my much-loved but very aggressive old Blue stripes - now all gone to new homes.

tonyelbatal said:
Wyzard said:
Don't worry yet - the actual stripe colour is a matter of taste for a lot of us, and doesn't affect the value much.

Post the panel pics first, and we'll get on it.... When you find a way to hold the chassis while unscrewing the retainer bolts (I use a slave/faithful assistant to help me, as I have a dodgy hand), you can then slide the chassis out for more pics.

Hi again Wyzard,

What does the above images tell you? I have an update, I contacted MesaBoogie and Mike B. sent me the following by email (I shared the images with him) and also asked him about the mods. and that I play Metallica:
It appears this amp was updated to BLUE dot. As far as mods I can do the 3+ mod ($200 to me plus mesa svc) and in this case, the Brighter Simul Class Version is likely best to get to the Metallica tones. If extreme gain is wanted the 3++ mod ($300 to me plus mesa svc) is the ticket. Neither of theses is as bright as that BLUE dot is right now. I do recommend including the R2 master on rear.

That being said, would it be even possible to convert a purple stripe to blue stripe, like Mike B. said? And it seems like modding the amp (to 3+ or 3++) is not a good option if I want to play Metallica type of sound.

Thanks again!

I recently picked up one just like this. Serial in the purple range, but blue stripe. Opened it up and there are notes on it being converted to blue in 1989. Pretty sure it was done at Mesa based on the names in there. From a layman mine does look factory.

I just picked up a red stripe DRG long head SN 220XX, 1/88. Best sounding III I've played. Way better than my old too bright blue stripes.

Side note, my factory IIC+ has a D at the end of the serial number. Always wondered about that.

I have a Mark3 simul class serial 22671. can anyone tell me exactly what it is. Green, black blue purple stripe. I know they sound similar as I read. I recently inherited it from my best friend. I am a drummer and lost when it comes to amps. Any help is greatly appreciated

pictures posted at

www.julioblancoart.com/mark3

Blue stripe, and your power tubes are most likely installed wrong. There should be an outer pair, and an inner pair.

GJgo said:
Blue stripe, and your power tubes are most likely installed wrong. There should be an outer pair, and an inner pair.

Technically they were probably right at some point, but then someone replaced the right two incorrectly. Not sure how well it is going to function as it sits, you have three 6L6s and one EL34 installed which doesn't seem like good idea. That STR-416 EL34 is a pretty rare tube!

Great forum, has helped me so much in getting the best out of the great Mesa's . Finally joined. My Red Stripe is #19,592

Adding my info to this thread:

1985 Mesa Boogie Mark III, #1543X. No-stripe, DRG, with the 105 power transformer and IIC+ faceplate. Imbuia cab with wicker grill. Electro Voice EVM-12L speaker.

Mesa factory serviced, including a cap job, with Mike Bendinelli upgrades... III+/IIIC+/IIC+ circuit upgrade, R2 volume addition, reverb fix, and pentode/triode toggle switch.

Blue stripe 60w Combo with serial #24595

R2 is absolutely perfect on this amp - R1 is a bit aggressive but rolling the guitar volume off a tad seems to really help... R3 is just awesome!

I have the earliest Green long head I've seen mentioned anywhere. Sn 24701, date is 04/89.

Just bought a blue stripe combo, 60w export with reverb and GEQ, chassis labelled 11/90 with s/n 270xx

Just picked up another MkIII, and it may be the latest production one anyone here has ever seen.
- Blue stripe SRG combo, S/N 2837x, dated 7/99. The cap dates & speaker date all check out.

Checking my old photos against your S/N list I only had one other outlier:
- Red stripe DRG long head, S/N 2202x, dated 1/88

Last edited:
19895 Red Stripe DRG

boogie 2.jpg

Back