Mark V (AT7) vs JP2C - Metallica video (with GEQ)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaymz

Reaction score
Hi

A little while back I did some recording of Metallica riffs running through the V (AT7). Today I re-ran some of those tracks through the JP2C to A/B them. Both sound great, but the JP has a bit more thump and authority.

Link
https://youtu.be/uogjYHozXKw

Mark V: has the Jan Philips AT7 tube in V4
JP2C Power amp: 60w
V Power amp (45w, variac, tube)
JP2C: Gain pushed
JP2C: Presence Pulled
JP2C: Shred not engaged
GEQ: Both On (Varied depending on song)
Cab: Mesa 2x12 Vertical Rectifier
Mic: Shure SM57
No post processing

I think I prefer the JP. Which do you prefer?

Hi,

Both sound great. I too preferred the JP-2C in your clip. Have you tried the Mark V in Mark iV mode? I find that the added pull deep that that mode offers gives the bottom end thump you want for the Metallica crunch. Gonna post up a pic in the Saturation mod thread in a bit of the settings i was using tonight to jam to some Metallica. Sounded pretty close to me with my EMG equipped Schecter. Give them a whirl and see what you think. Very low master volume so they probably wont translate well if you crank it but sounded great to me at the volume i was using.

Thanks,

Wayno

Wayno said:
Hi,

Both sound great. I too preferred the JP-2C in your clip. Have you tried the Mark V in Mark iV mode? I find that the added pull deep that that mode offers gives the bottom end thump you want for the Metallica crunch. Gonna post up a pic in the Saturation mod thread in a bit of the settings i was using tonight to jam to some Metallica. Sounded pretty close to me with my EMG equipped Schecter. Give them a whirl and see what you think. Very low master volume so they probably wont translate well if you crank it but sounded great to me at the volume i was using.

Thanks,

Wayno

Hi Wayno

I love IV mode. You are right, it probably is closer to the JP and adds the thump but I find it can sound a little 'wet' sounding. To me it also has the most gain out of all the modes on the V and as it happens I try not to get used to it so I've got somewhere to go when I want more gain. It might sound stupid, but if I get used to it, would ruin the c+ mode for me. Likewise on the JP I keep the gain known pushed on Channel 2 so I can pull when I need more. This recording was with an Ibanez RG570 with EMG 81 in the bridge.

Thaymz said:
Hi

A little while back I did some recording of Metallica riffs running through the V (AT7). Today I re-ran some of those tracks through the JP2C to A/B them. Both sound great, but the JP has a bit more thump and authority.

Link

Very nice comparison which I just saw for the first time just now. Question: For the Mark V, why variac mode and why tube rectified? Wouldn’t normal power, even 90W (which is diode rect.) be a more apples to apples comparison?

mace said:
Thaymz said:
Hi

Link

Very nice comparison which I just saw for the first time just now. Question: For the Mark V, why variac mode and why tube rectified? Wouldn’t normal power, even 90W (which is diode rect.) be a more apples to apples comparison?

Thank you, and funny you ask that now as I'm now experimenting with some of the other power settings. The variac / Triode is just a matter of preference. I like the liquid feel of the triode and find the pentode a bit stiff. I like the bounce character that is added in variac which initially I thought more closely matches the JP. I remember reading somewhere the original c+'s were wired in triode, but you are right.. a fairer comparison would've been through pentode non variac which is what I'm trying out at the moment. It's definitely a lot closer in tone, thump and power, especially in the IV mode.

That said, I recorded the DI tracks, so if you'd like to hear any other settings, happy to run through the amp.

Very nice video, thank you for sharing.

Thaymz said:
That said, I recorded the DI tracks, so if you'd like to hear any other settings, happy to run through the amp.

I hope you still have these amps. As the JP2C is not simulclass and the Mark V is, why not trying this :

DI tracks -> JP2C -> Effect send of JP2C -> Effect Return of Mark V

Do you think the result will be closer to a real DRG IIC+ ?

Thanks Thaymz

Hi Decker

Unfortunately I don't have the V any more. I have a IIC+ DRG, so if you're wanting to see how the JP's preamp sounds into the IIC+ DRG power amp, I can put something like that together.

Thank you for your answer Thaymz.

Yes, if you do this, it would be really interesting because you could tell us the differencies you hear/feel between the two power amp sections when you compare them with the same preamp.

Thanks Thaymz.

Back