Mini Rec cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick79

Reaction score
Hi guys, i'm seriously considering laying out for one these. I usually use a 4x12 but there are occasions when it's just too big/too much hassle to gig it (Not often but it happens). The little Mini Rec cab would be an ideal size for those gigs, but it's expensive...

Can anyone who uses one let me know what you think of it? I know it won't stand up to a big 4x12 but is it pretty loud? Does it project well? I have no problems with volume with the big cab but we are a pretty loud rock band.
Thanks.

It's plenty loud, though limited to 60W max due to the single V30 speaker. It is very focused and will cut very well.

My only issue with them is that the air volume is quite low, so the low end gets cut off at a fairly high frequency. No thump. That can actually be an advantage, though, where the mix is muddy or you are trying to find a place in the mix.

It's got a strong mid focus making it cut through very well. And 25W into 8ohm is freaking loud. In bedroom situations even at 10W it sounds great. I love mine. And the portability is out of this world. The recessed handles make it easy grab n go. When I first got mine I was shocked at how much mids the speaker/cab has. It allows you to scoop mids if playing modern metal but still retain enough mids for some punch.

I run a Mesa 5 band in the loop of my Mini Rectifier so it does give it some bass. In fact I've turned down the bass on some occasions.

I play metal through my Mini 1x12: Metallica, Slayer, Lamb of God, Gojira, etc.

Thanks guys, i reckon i'll get one soon. They are a lot of money here in the uk but quality costs... If i'm lucky i'll find one used but they don't come up often so it will more than likely be new.

I would love to hear what your experience was. I have found that I am missing something with my 1x12 slant so much that I ordered a second 1x12 straight cab (that is arriving today). I hope that this will even it out a bit and I will post results and of course snap a few pics as there are limited pics of the mini full stacks.

Well my second cab is here and I played for about 20 minutes through it and its a mixed bag for me. It did widen the sound but it still lacks bottom end and has a boxy sound at high volumes. I also own the vertical 2x12 and it is a better solution in my opinion. I have both now though so unless I decide to take a hit and sell both 1x12 cabs I will just have to learn to love them. It does look cool though lol. :p

apSUeZdl.jpg

So what Elvis said above is dead on. They are great cabs. Built well, look good, etc., but you can't mess with science. Well you can....

These cabs aren't deep. Because of that, they wont' have the depth of bottom of a deeper cab. I said a couple years ago that I was going to try to fool with science some but haven't yet because I bought the 2x12 Recto. But you could try some sound insulating material inside the cab and see if that helps. It "should" make it sound bigger, although it will also deaden some resonances which you may not like, or you may love. Try a couple inches of polyfil on the back only first if you try it. Way cheaper than buying more cabs.

Good advice, I moved the setup to my studio which is sound treated and it sounds so much better. So I guess the room can make a big difference. Now it looks like a short Fat chick next to a tall skinny dude :lol:

4VktCSCl.jpg

Thanks guys, some interesting observations... I haven't bought one yet, purely as i want to try one first. The nearest Boogie dealer is 30 miles away and i just haven't had chance yet to get there. Truth be told i am wondering if its the right way to go - I do tend to like a fair amount of depth to my sound so i'm thinking maybe a vertical 2x12.

Hopefully soon enough i'll try a few out.
Thanks again.

I have one and it's a good sounding cab - I mostly use it with my Mini Rec, when I'm too lazy to fire up the Dual Rectifier and just want to fiddle around or test something in the practice space without over-penetrating my ears :)

That said, I think the observations here are correct: it will not have the bottom end of a 4x12 ... especially when paired with a smaller amp like the Mini. On the other hand, this is also probably not what it was made for. Most people dial the bass out anyway or put a tube-screamer in front of the amp ... I miked it up recently for some testing and even with an OD in front I still cut the bass at 100Hz when playing over the PA. So, there might be some bass missing in the room, but by itself, it still should have enough, only on a smaller, more controllable volume level.

I recently picked up a Recto 1x12, the standard one not the "Mini" - it's more square and has a regular handle on top instead of the recessed grab handles on the sides. Still has the Mesa V-30.

mesa-boogie-mini-recto-1x12-straight-892876.jpg

http://www.mesaboogie.com/cabinets--simulators/guitar-cabinets--simulators/rectifier-series/1x12-recto.html

I compared it to the mini and it sounded much more like my 4x12 than the mini, just "smaller." It was a lot less boxy sounding too. So far I am really impressed with it using both my Mini Rec and Mark 5:25 heads (the mark in particular). I think being deeper than the mini cab, like a 4x12, really helps this model.

That being said, I also have a 1x12 Lonestar open back with the C-90 in it and I prefer the sound of that cab with the Mini over all others, including the 4x12. Not sure what the secret sauce is there but it suits the vintage mode of the red channel perfectly and since that's where I usually set that amp it's a great match. That cab doesn't work so well with the Mark.

Latest posts

Back