Owner's of both JP2C & C+ which get's played more?

Discussion area for the new (and first) Signature Model from Mesa Engineering.

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

GJgo
Mark III

Re: Owner's of both JP2C & C+ which get's played more?

Post by GJgo » Sat May 27, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks :) I also have a 1960 cab, and an EVM12L I'm looking for a cab to stuff it in. Different speakers definitely change the tone, but the concept of differentiation between the heads is still the same. The G12T-75s are darker, and the EVM is very hi-fi.

jack s.
Mark II

Post by jack s. » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Markedman wrote:
GJgo wrote:Markedman, after some time do you still feel like the IIC++ & the JP2C are close enough in tone that if you had one you wouldn't miss the other?
Although they sound very similar, they are so much different in features I would not think of selling either one.
I never had a problem with getting a clean tone and heavy tone with my C++ because I'm not an emulator type, I prefer to get my own tone and generally go with that tweaking the amp throughout the night as needed. For example, playing Metallica I pull the 750 fader down. Playing BB King I'll turn volume 1 down. I had a MXR Micro-amp in the loop for a volume boost and a mini tube screamer out front for "hair" making the C++ very versatile. I played the C++ a lot this week because I played out most nights so instead of setting my JP2C set up up every night at home I used the C++ set up. I also used my JP2C quite a bit this week at different practices and I must say I was floored by it tonight. I really mean it when I say it sounded unbelievable, shockingly great tone! I'm learning the ins and outs of the interaction of the GEQ/shred/treble/presence controls getting my totally awesome thick saturated uncompressed gained-up feedback at a reasonable volume.
Sophie's choice? Only one? C++
Hey, don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I'm looking for a pedal to provide a volume boost for solos in the effects loop of my 60 watt IIC+ 1/12 combo. Do you recommend the MXR micro amp? Does it change the eq of the signal much? Using the overdrive pedals I have set for a clean boost always shaved off a lot of bass and/or treble. I'm looking for the exact same sound just LOUDER for solos. Also, any experience with the Mesa 5 band EQ pedal? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! -Jack

Markedman
Donating Member

Post by Markedman » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:01 pm

If the JP2C had only ch.1 & ch.2 with 1 GEQ, I'd use it more than my C++.
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

themisfit138
Mark III

Post by themisfit138 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:32 am

After a few months I went back to mostly just playing the C++. The JP2C still has too much of that modern compressed tone, for my liking, and not near the edge and aggression of the C++.
1985 Mark IIC++
1989 Mark III Blue Combo
1991 Mark IV Short Head

GJgo
Mark III

Post by GJgo » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:48 am

That sums up how I feel about it too. However, I ended up putting the JP in my bedroom because it has a headphone jack so I can play when the kids are asleep, so technically I probably play it more, but my DRG C++ occupies a special place in my heart that no other amp has ever been before.

I think the modern compressed feel has its place depending on what you're playing, though. Modern metal = definitely the JP.

dlpasco
Donating Member

Post by dlpasco » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:22 pm

I've owned a JP-2C two different times and just never gelled with it. I ended up selling them both times.

I'm probably going to be leaving the IIC+ in my will for my kids.
Mark IIC+, III, V, Recto Reborn, TC-50
Sold: JP-2C, V25, Road King II, Tremoverb, Electra Dyne, ROV25
Twitter:mammothguitar

Davey
Bottle Rocket

Post by Davey » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:35 am

GJgo wrote:Alright guys, check this out! My IIC+ vs IIC++ vs JP-2C. No more guessing.

https://youtu.be/T8XI4fE46qk
I wanted to thank you for doing this video. This is the video I watched before I bought the JP-2C that convinced me to pull the trigger.

To my ears, the HRG IIC+ sounds weaker in the bottom end, I'm thinking that it's most comparable of the three to the Mark V I already had, which I felt was lacking. The IC++ is right on the money, that sounds fantastic to me, pretty much exactly what I'm looking for... The JP-2C follows up and I think it's just a tiny bit darker, perhaps a little less mids, but looking at how you have the EQ set it was apparent it was adjusted more toward that kind of sound regardless. (I use a shallower V with the mids just at the center).

Also agree with our comment on Youtube that the JP-2C does struggle a bit with the more "classic rock" tone. I find that bypassing the EQ and dialing the gain way back works well enough for my purposes, but when I really need a great classic rock tone I use a different amp more suited to that sort of thing. The JP-2C is a metal machine, though. Love this amp, no regrets, makes me smile every time I hit that first power chord.

GJgo
Mark III

Post by GJgo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 am

Sure thing Davey, thanks. I think you've nailed it. I ended up sending the HRG C+ back to Mike for the ++ mod so now I have a pair of ++. MUCH happier with it now. I can still dial it back with the knobs, but with just the + I couldn't get where I wanted. I think a LOT of people have the ++ tone in their head from the music they hear but think it's + tone.

I think the JP has to stand on its own merits (epic gigging amp, metal machine), but in the room with a ++ (or even my IVa) it's a challenge to get the same huge all-enveloping sound out of it. You can get the recorded tone really, really close but what you don't hear in the recording is the feel.