Possible Mark VI Directions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cho said:
Here is my idea for the Mark VI: The Mark Modular.

This would be a Mark "chassis", that would accept preamp "modules". The chassis would contain the power amp, fx loop, GEQ, and reverb. There would be slots which would allow you to pop in preamp modules, with each module being its own preamp channel. There might be several versions of the chassis, which would allow either one, two, three, or (why not?) 4 modules, depending on how many channels you wanted. They could also have a "high power" chassis (6L6/EL34) and a low power (EL84). There could be many preamp modules available, allowing the user to customize their setup, and even change it around, based on different needs.

Remember the Seymour Duncan convertible amp back from ~20 years ago? I had one of these for a while, and I think it was a brilliant design. Mesa could go crazy offering various preamp modules, having a module for every sound from every amp they've ever built. (Speaking of signature amps, they could have signature modules...) Imagine having 30 preamp modules to choose from! Also, you could have a stereo setup by adding a simple 1-module-chassis, similar to the Satellite amps they built in the 90s.

I really feel that this would be the best of all possible worlds. The flexibility would be amazing. No more compromising! You could choose the exact preamp sounds you like, the exact number of channels you want, and could change it around from gig to gig, depending on the needs. And Mesa could spend the next 10 years developing new and exciting preamp modules!

Been there, done that....

http://www2.randallamplifiers.com/Amplifiers/MTS-Heads/

http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/randall/modules.html

The Egnater M4 is another one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqWrOUVw0Co

One thing is becoming clear. Any 'improvements' would be pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.
I think Mesa may have hit the pinnacle with the Mark V.
More channels, just more of the same.
More vintage correct whatever, buy a vintage amp.
Midi, yeah ok, good call.
There's really not much that could be added that hasn't been done before and available elsewhere in the series.
There's a maker of amplifier DIY kits in the UK. Who offers a valve amp kit that doesn't distort but has exceptionally wide ranging eq controls. Perhaps that's the next step for Mesa. An amplifier that doesn't distort.

Blaklynx said:
Been there, done that....

Yeah, but Mesa hasn't done it! Who wants to buy a Randall or Egnater? :lol: This would allow the wide range of Mesa customers (from blues to rock to metal....) to customize their own Mark amp.

Why would Mesa want to do that. When there's a million people out there thinking you need a specific amp for certain types of music.

Hate to resurrect this thread. But just wanted ask if anyone saw the peculiar mark series amp behind corey taylor in the metallica video on their youtube channel.

thediavlo said:
Hate to resurrect this thread. But just wanted ask if anyone saw the peculiar mark series amp behind corey taylor in the metallica video on their youtube channel.

There's a big discussion in the thread here, and probably other places:
https://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73637

Hi,

Been lurking for a while and necro-posting for my first post. Awesome! :)

Full Disclosure...I don't own a Mark series amp. Looking very hard at it. I am starting to feel that using pedals in front of cheap amps is like thinking I'm cool with a bat-wing, skirts, and fancy rims on a Honda Civic. However, a Vox AC15 running in parallel-mono with a Fender Blues Junior sounds fantastic even if both amps are mediocre on their own.

Also, my heart, thoughts, and prayers go to the employees of Mesa right now. Petaluma is so so close to the fires that are devastating Northern California. Their offices I'm sure are out of the devastation path. I'm also sure that they have employees living in affected areas. My GF who lives in that area (and has evacuated 3 times) is describes it as the Apocalypse.

Features I would like to see...

1. Reverb knobs moved to the front (I adjust these for the room I'm in)

2. Solo knob per channel. So I can achieve something close to unity volume between channels with varying gain. The Solo knob seems to be just a secondary master. But I only want one button on the footswitch. Also move the "mid-boost" from the EQ to the solo knob. Or have a 3-way switch associated with the solo knob signal path with "flat, mid-hump, or treble boost."

3. Everything needs to go on a weight diet. These are so heavy!

4. Everything needs to go on a power diet. Modern times, modern PA. I think U2's The Edge uses 30-watt amps to play stadiums. Practice-level, Rehearse-level, and gig-level. I agree with the pro-audio integration. Cab Clone for every model. [EDIT: More watts is not always better even if it's only a $100 increase in price. I disqualify any amp that doesn't have a practice-level mechanism due to my personal situation.]

5. Supporting multi-amp systems. Whether stereo or W/D or W/D/W. First-and-foremost, I want to daisy chain (or MIDI) switching systems together so 1 foot-switch controls multiple amps. It migh also be nice to be able to accept XLR inputs (Clearlink Receive) both as an front-of-amp input and as a power-amp input.

6. Modular Multi-voicing. I would like some way to separate and make modular the voicing from the channel. I want to assign multiple voicings per channel. For example "Mark-4 + Clean" and blend-in how much clean I want to add to my lead tone. This is almost like a modern version of channel jumping.

SFBay-James4 said:
Hi,

Been lurking for a while and necro-posting for my first post. Awesome! :)

Full Disclosure...I don't own a Mark series amp. Looking very hard at it. I am starting to feel that using pedals in front of cheap amps is like thinking I'm cool with a bat-wing, skirts, and fancy rims on a Honda Civic. However, a Vox AC15 running in parallel-mono with a Fender Blues Junior sounds fantastic even if both amps are mediocre on their own.

Also, my heart, thoughts, and prayers go to the employees of Mesa right now. Petaluma is so so close to the fires that are devastating Northern California. Their offices I'm sure are out of the devastation path. I'm also sure that they have employees living in affected areas. My GF who lives in that area (and has evacuated 3 times) is describes it as the Apocalypse.

Features I would like to see...

1. Reverb knobs moved to the front (I adjust these for the room I'm in)

2. Solo knob per channel. So I can achieve something close to unity volume between channels with varying gain. The Solo knob seems to be just a secondary master. But I only want one button on the footswitch. Also move the "mid-boost" from the EQ to the solo knob. Or have a 3-way switch associated with the solo knob signal path with "flat, mid-hump, or treble boost."

3. Everything needs to go on a weight diet. These are so heavy!

4. Everything needs to go on a power diet. Modern times, modern PA. I think U2's The Edge uses 30-watt amps to play stadiums. Practice-level, Rehearse-level, and gig-level. I agree with the pro-audio integration. Cab Clone for every model. [EDIT: More watts is not always better even if it's only a $100 increase in price. I disqualify any amp that doesn't have a practice-level mechanism due to my personal situation.]

5. Supporting multi-amp systems. Whether stereo or W/D or W/D/W. First-and-foremost, I want to daisy chain (or MIDI) switching systems together so 1 foot-switch controls multiple amps. It migh also be nice to be able to accept XLR inputs (Clearlink Receive) both as an front-of-amp input and as a power-amp input.

6. Modular Multi-voicing. I would like some way to separate and make modular the voicing from the channel. I want to assign multiple voicings per channel. For example "Mark-4 + Clean" and blend-in how much clean I want to add to my lead tone. This is almost like a modern version of channel jumping.

Hey, welcome to the forum, not too much of a necro bump as this thread still has posts in it pretty regularly.

I also couldn't help but notice some of your requested features already exist in the Mark V:

2. Solo Knob Per Channel:
There is already a master volume on each channel, allowing you to set them to unity (or different) volume levels in comparison to each other and regardless of gain. Then the global Output knob allows you to turn the entire amp up and down, and the Solo just gives you a switchable volume boost for when you need any channel to just be a bit louder. It's not quite choosing two volumes per channel, but it covers quite a lot of use cases.

4. Everything needs to go on a power diet.
They do make the Mark V:25 and V:35 models which are 25w and 35w respectively, for lower power needs. So the 90w model is just if you like the additional girth and authority it proves tonewise. Also, for practice volumes the 90w model has a 45w and 10w mode switchable per channel. But even without it, the Master Volume + Output controls are so powerful I can easily turn the lead channel at 90w down to a bedroom level.

5. Supporting multi-amp systems. Whether stereo or W/D or W/D/W.
There is a bit in there already for that as well: The Slave Out control sends a signal at the output of the amp out, for routing into a slave power amp. This can be run into a stereo effects processor then into a stereo power amp for a W/D/W rig, or just to the Power amp in to a secondary amp across the stage for a stereo setup. I agree that some better MIDI support would allow for more flexible multi-amp rigs though! Currently something like the Mini-Amp Gizmo are needed to truly MIDI control the Mark V.

Welcome again, and I hope I didn't come across as picking apart your suggestions. But since you've stated you aren't already an owner I thought you would be interested to know that some of your requirements are already in the amp in one way or another. :D

IronSean said:
SFBay-James4 said:
Hi,
Hey, welcome to the forum, not too much of a necro bump as this thread still has posts in it pretty regularly.

I also couldn't help but notice some of your requested features already exist in the Mark V:

2. Solo Knob Per Channel:
There is already a master volume on each channel, allowing you to set them to unity (or different) volume levels in comparison to each other and regardless of gain. Then the global Output knob allows you to turn the entire amp up and down, and the Solo just gives you a switchable volume boost for when you need any channel to just be a bit louder. It's not quite choosing two volumes per channel, but it covers quite a lot of use cases.

4. Everything needs to go on a power diet.
They do make the Mark V:25 and V:35 models which are 25w and 35w respectively, for lower power needs. So the 90w model is just if you like the additional girth and authority it proves tonewise. Also, for practice volumes the 90w model has a 45w and 10w mode switchable per channel. But even without it, the Master Volume + Output controls are so powerful I can easily turn the lead channel at 90w down to a bedroom level.

5. Supporting multi-amp systems. Whether stereo or W/D or W/D/W.
There is a bit in there already for that as well: The Slave Out control sends a signal at the output of the amp out, for routing into a slave power amp. This can be run into a stereo effects processor then into a stereo power amp for a W/D/W rig, or just to the Power amp in to a secondary amp across the stage for a stereo setup. I agree that some better MIDI support would allow for more flexible multi-amp rigs though! Currently something like the Mini-Amp Gizmo are needed to truly MIDI control the Mark V.

Welcome again, and I hope I didn't come across as picking apart your suggestions. But since you've stated you aren't already an owner I thought you would be interested to know that some of your requirements are already in the amp in one way or another. :D

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the diplomacy where I didn't think things through...

2. [about the per-channel master volume] You're right. I have been going into the front of multiple cheap amps for so long that I didn't think the signal path through. Yeah, the single solo knob is a better, simpler solution.

4. [about the power-diet] I hear you. I guess what I was trying to say is that it kinda stinks for someone's power-amp requirements to then dictate what voicing+tone/EQ+3-channel options they must get. If you want the flagship voicing+tone/EQ+3-channel, then the 25 and 35 watt versions won't suit you. In fact, the 25 and 35 watt versions don't seem very far from the Express+ line.

So you're "stuck" (I know terrible problem ;-) ) with the full Mark V at 65-150 lbs and 10/45/90 watts to get the flagship voicing+tone/EQ+3-channel package. I'll bet that a version with the Mark V voicing+tone/EQ+channel paired with the Express-Plus power-amp would totally outsell the current Mark V 10/45/90 power-amp offering. Power amp wattage seems to be no longer a good way to price-tier the product line in-light of current practice to mic/feed guitar into the PA even in small venues. At least to my pocketbook.

5. Good point. I undersold what they do have for multi-amp systems. They have a good solution for the wet/dry. I'm not sold on the stereo though. I am open to ideas but, to me, it sounds better to go through the front of the amp on both. Slight EQ differences make for a much richer sound (at least to my ears) than going through line outs at the back of the amp. But my experience is with the Fender and Vox lines. But to your point, the do support the classic and time-honored signal path for wet-dry.

[Thinking out loud, bear with me.] The Express 5-50+ is a good start. Clean swap-out for my HRD. 5/25/50 makes for good practice & record / rehearse / gig power for me. Plus, the channel selector and solo foot-switch remove $300 from elsewhere in the signal chain. LOL, Starting to understand why I see so many Fender 65 DRRI's traded into Guitar Center. $1100 + $300 for solo and channel switching and you're in Express+ 5/15/25 territory.

Anyway, thanks for correcting me on those items. Still would like to see more flagship pre-amp at lower wattages, compound/jumped voicings, and lower weights. Off to the store.

Back