Boogie Mark V brown sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments guys. I love this amp. Thinking about picking up a Mark III next while they're still cheap.

I tied settings, even tweaked, tried two different 412 cabs (one with creambacks and the other V30) for some reason, I cannot get close to this sound at all. Sure I know technique has a lot to do with it. All I would get was ice pick blah. Nothing wrong with the any of the cabs either as they sound amazing with two other amps (Roadster, RA100, and JP-2C). Amp is loaded with all stock Mesa tubes. I will have to go back to my blend of preamp tubes and power tubes. Will have to try again with a different speaker as well. For some reason, my Mark V just does not perform well with the V30 with stock tubes.

Would love to get this tone from any of my amps as it sounds great. Thanks again for sharing.

I'm playing quite loud and I dig in pretty hard. I think that's a big part of this equation.

Sorry, I got the sound now. I had set my amp for out of box experience with all stock tubes so I could compare it to the JP-2C. And once I was able to dial in the same tone you have I was going to see if I could get similar with the other amp.

My fix: even if this is taboo: V1, V2, V3 = Mullard RI 12AX7, V4, V5, V6 = stock Mesa, V7 = JJ ECC803s (long plate 12ax7). Power tubes stock. Speaker choice Celestion Cream 90W ALNICO. That was the ticket to get the tonal characteristics. That is sweet. Generally have the gain maxed out and mids about where you recommend, usually dial down the treble at center and presence much lower. Had to adjust a few things but close enough. Could not stop playing as I was enjoying the brown sound experience as it did not sound like poo when I first tried it. Not blaming anyone, was crying why my Mark V was abnormal :cry:. :p Now I have it back to where it makes me love it.

Awesome setting.

Really like this. Thanks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was thinking of grabbing a Marshall pedal of some type to get that flavor with the Mark V a little more, but this satisfies that.
Thanks!!

Lkdog said:
Really like this. Thanks. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I was thinking of grabbing a Marshall pedal of some type to get that flavor with the Mark V a little more, but this satisfies that.
Thanks!!

Glad I could help. I'm still loving the V and gigging with these settings all the time. I've been lazy on the clips front recently but I hope to do more soon, especially with the new JP-2C!

donnyboiler said:
Glad I could help.

I have to add my own, "wow that was spectacular" and thanks for the settings. I sure hope all of my neighbors in a 1 mile radius like VH!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well... I've always hated channel 2 until now. Sounds much more Marshally now with these settings. I've always thought both Crunch and Edge were thin and wimpy sounding. Who know zeroing out the bass would have done the trick, lol.

However, I'm getting more hot-rodded AC/DC than Van Halen with the saturation levels. Are you using a boost of any kinda? I'm using an HSS Strat with a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge.

Thank you guys!

SonVolt said:
Well... I've always hated channel 2 until now. Sounds much more Marshally now with these settings. I've always thought both Crunch and Edge were thin and wimpy sounding. Who know zeroing out the bass would have done the trick, lol.

However, I'm getting more hot-rodded AC/DC than Van Halen with the saturation levels. Are you using a boost of any kinda? I'm using an HSS Strat with a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge.

No boost mate, my pickup is a Suhr SSH+ and I'm digging in pretty hard :)

Wow, very nice! You really nailed the chewyness that EVH gets. You have just enough highs and high mids that they cut, without cutting off your head :lol:

Thanks for posting!

Just tried your settings and I am surprised at how high you run the channel volume and the overall volume. I have never had to run my amp at 5 Master on 90 watts and man, it shook me (In a good way). Its amazing that this amp has so many unique tones. Your settings has opened up a whole new level of tweaking (as if i needed more :roll: ). Awesome tone n awesome playing. Please do post more clips in the future.

Bankim said:
Ed, Is that you trolling us mere mortals :p ?

Edit: see next post

Haha, thankyou!
Bankim said:
Just tried your settings and I am surprised at how high you run the channel volume and the overall volume. I have never had to run my amp at 5 Master on 90 watts and man, it shook me (In a good way). Its amazing that this amp has so many unique tones. Your settings has opened up a whole new level of tweaking (as if i needed more :roll: ). Awesome tone n awesome playing. Please do post more clips in the future.

Hey man, I'm only running the output master at less than half here, so although the amp is loud, it's only as loud as a decent rock drummer. Channels are at 50%.

I'm using the JP-2C now, so check in that section every now and then for new stuff. Thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Thank you!

The tunes are Unchained, Dirty Movies, 5150 and Push Comes To Shove :)

donnyboiler said:
Thank you!

Great choices!

I did a side by side listen of the original 5150, and I noticed Eddie uses a bit less distortion on his track, at least in the studio. I'm sure he ups the gain in concert. Either way, I really like the tone you are getting here. Very nice playing and great tone match!

I know that this is an old post, but I just tried these settings and wow! I've had my Mark V for several years, and once I got settings that worked for me I never really touched them again. I never would've thought to run it like that. I had it running through my combo along with an EVH 1x12 extension cab with a 350ms slap back, using my EVH Stealth. I wish that I tried this when I was in the band. I can't wait to try a similar thing on 2C+ mode.

Great Job with this!

As you list "Brown" I'm wondering: Are the settings are full power or Variac mode?

Hi guys,

I haven't logged in for ages and only just noticed these replies, thanks for those! I will reply to them one by one.

gag halfrunt said:
donnyboiler said:
Thank you!

Great choices!

I did a side by side listen of the original 5150, and I noticed Eddie uses a bit less distortion on his track, at least in the studio. I'm sure he ups the gain in concert. Either way, I really like the tone you are getting here. Very nice playing and great tone match!

Thank you! I used the same tone for all the samples, except that I added the stereo FX for the 5150 era. I was thinking of it as more of a VH-esque base tone that you can tweak for each album I guess. Although in reality it's just the rhythm sound I used live and it happened to lend itself well 8)

abe said:
I know that this is an old post, but I just tried these settings and wow! I've had my Mark V for several years, and once I got settings that worked for me I never really touched them again. I never would've thought to run it like that. I had it running through my combo along with an EVH 1x12 extension cab with a 350ms slap back, using my EVH Stealth. I wish that I tried this when I was in the band. I can't wait to try a similar thing on 2C+ mode.

Cheers. If you try the settings on Mark IV Mode but with gain and presence lower, it matches well. Then you have a great lead sound to go with it!

JD1965 said:
Great Job with this!

As you list "Brown" I'm wondering: Are the settings are full power or Variac mode?

Everything on full. 90W, diodes, loop active, no Variac. There's zero reason why I didn't try that, I just didn't get around to it! Oh and thanks 8)

Voodoo Child77 said:
WOW! I thought I had decided on a JP-2C, but this has me reconsidering my decision. Nice tone.

Ha! I owned both, I found the JP-2C more resolved functionally and bigger sounding overall but it never did nail this sound the same way! Love both amps.

Back