TC-50 is way more than I expected

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps my first impression may not have been what most have been expecting, myself included. However I was determined to explore this amp in more detail (still have not opened up the manual as I have a copy on my computer I down loaded). I have put at least a minimum of 24 hours on the tubes and I have to say this amp has blossomed into something incredible. Odd that I do not seem to have the same characteristics I hear in this clip. Similar but yet I cannot get the amp to muddy up in CH3 like in the demo. Instead it just sounds awesome and on par with the JP-2C with some respects.. Also the clean is not as warm as in the demo but it is getting better with more use on the tubes. In a first person perspective with the amp in front of me it sounds way better. Perhaps it is how the recording may have been mastered or EQ'd . The reverb sounds true to its nature though.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&rvsmid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

I may have to do my own video or perhaps a soundcloud clip. I am almost tempted to include the RA, JP, Mark V and Roadster but that will take too much time to compose. Definitely want to get a feel for how it blends in the mix with drums and bass included. For starters I will keep it simple if I do anything.
In some respects the recordings are accurate but yet for some reason or another the Mesa recordings are dropping the treble down as shown on the pop up display showing the settings on the channel.

I have actually been dialing up the treble, even though the amp has a bright tone it is well balanced. Not brittle or brutal in terms of top end or upper harmonics. This amp is tuned perfectly for balance of tone. Each control on the 3 band EQ is quite effective. There may be some slight overlap or influence between bass, mid and treble but appear to be independent tone controls similar in effect as the 5band EQ on the Mark series amps. As is the case with the RA100, the treble is linked to the mid control. It is the midrange that influences the treble on the Hi/lo channel. TC-50 is different. I can shape the tone with more control with each bass, mid and treble setting. I said this amp is dry, it is. In other words, it does not saturate in respect to one fundamental frequency that would be difficult to remove from recording. I have yet to try to record with this amp yet so not sure what to expect.

I think Fluffs video captures the essence of this amp quite well. It really does sound like this..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=2E14126434BA29A906E82E14126434BA29A906E8&rvsmid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&fsscr=0&FORM=VDQVAP

Then there is this one....
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=617AE1D3C827286D7669617AE1D3C827286D7669&rvsmid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&fsscr=-1155&FORM=VDFSRV

Makes me want to do a complete run though on all my amps. That will be a major task as the video editing will take some time. Worthy of a challenge so my interest has been peaked. All I would need is a better guitarist than myself to do the task as I would not want to demonstrate my lack of skill.

I may get to recording this coming weekend as I would like to get more familiar with the amp.

I really love the Hi gain channel. :shock: It has been a while since I ran the JP-2C. Question is will I still like it as much as I think I do? :roll:

After running the amp through all cabinet configurations I currently am using with my other amps... Seems to me personally I prefer the Vertical 212 with the TC-50. Figured that would be the case as I prefer the JP-2C through that cabinet as well. For a small cabinet, it sounds huge. Far more bloom of the bass and lower mids along with well balanced top end and upper mids. The Horizontal cab is very similar but I believe the one speaker at an angle may change some of the sound characteristics. Not exactly sure of the acoustical reflection within the cabinet as I never studied that area of science in any detail. Yes I have been comparing the RA100 to the TC-50 but that is basically at an end.

OS Rect 412 original speakers: Almost sounded like there was a bit of a struggle for the amp as I could hear a bit of sag which is odd. It may have been the settings I had on the amp. At first I thought it was my guitar as it has a floating bridge (FR) so I switched to a similar guitar with a TOM bridge. Perhaps that was it. So far there seems to be only one amp I prefer though the OS Recto 412 but it depends on what tubes are fitted inside it. The RA100. It may not have the same tightness on the bottom end but it is a beast on the Hi channel and retains the same qualities on the Lo as you get with the TC-50. Both RA and TC had awesome clean channel response.

OS Rect 412 loaded with EVM12L black Label: I tried this one before the stock 412. It does lack the mid hump that the V30s can dish out but by no means was this a bad mix. Sounded really good but I personally prefer the V30 tone a bit more. No sag with this cab so it must have been the floating bridge on the other guitar as I did not use it at the time I ran the EV cab. The notable difference here was the TC-50 running this cabinet had more volume. More so due to the speakers and the response curve. It was almost deafening on the top end but by no means brittle or harsh.

RA100 combo 212 open cavity with Celestion G12H75 creambacks: I had made an adapter to extend the speaker cable so I could use an attenuator for recording and this came in handy when I did a recording with the Mark V. It also helped me use the speakers in the combo to try out other amps to see if I liked the different tone of the speakers with a different amp. TC-50 did not sound at all favorable with this combination. A bit flat in tone, almost muddy but did not loose composure. Perhaps the speakers had too much top end roll off to be to my liking. Also since they are broken in I was not sure this was the speaker of choice for the RA100 combo in an open back format. Another notable difference of the creamback is the reduction in volume relative to the V30 212 cabinets I have. Also had the similar response using the 8 ohm format in the 412. (why I have the one OS Rec with EV as I felt those were a better fit for the Roadster or JP-2C). Why did I get the Creambacks for the 412, the combo speakers sounded killer with the Roadster but did not seem to excel in the OS Recto cab. Since this run though I have replaced the Creambacks with the original V30 speakers (in case I sell the RA100 combo as it now may seem redundant) it was nice to hear the difference in volume level change. Perhaps I was wrong in my statement a while back on how the V30 sounds in an open cavity. Not bad at all. When in doubt, change your tubes. If one is off (including preamp tubes) you will not get optimal sound quality.

What I have not tried yet: MC90 that is currently in my Mark V. Better do it soon as I am thinking of going back to an EV. May also throw in the Celestion Cream 90W Alnico speaker first just for fun. That was an immediate favorite for me with the Mark V using all stock tubes. Cut on the brittleness of CH3 to some extent however it also has a similar tone to the creambacks but yet it sounds more like a blend of EV and V30 at the same time. Too bad I cooked the voice coil with the JP-2C. It still works so may give it a go again.

It was not until I brought in the OS Recto 412 with original V30s that I actually took notice to the similarities of the RA100 and the TC-50. The RA100 though the 412 sounded almost the same as the TC-50 though the Vertical 2x12 with the exception of the volume levels. What is awesome about the TC-50 is you can get to the sweet spot of the amp without the need for ear plugs. Not that the RA100 sounds great in 50W mode, it is just not the same as the TC-50.

If you wanted an RA100 get one, it you cannot find one, get the TC-50. It may be a little different but it is an awesome amp to own. It sounds very much like the RA but with a twist, the hi channel gain may have more reach and it does not throw into feedback as readily as the RA will. Touch sensitivity and quick response of the pick attack is about the same. Bottom end has more definition on the TC. Best of all, the Mesa EL34 sound better in the TC which may be due to differences in plate voltage or difference in the power supply. The tight mode on both the Hi/Lo channels does the same job as the grid slammer. I did run this with the amp and found the same tone. The exception is that you can adjust the level of gain and alter the characteristic tone on the grid slammer. I am quite pleased with both RA and TC so no upset there. Bonus on the TC-50 as you already know if you have been keeping up with the demos from Mesa is the 6V6 tube option. If you want more vintage tone and character the 6V6 may be the ticket. Also since it is 50W you can take advantage of other speakers either as a single 1x12 or dual format (2x12) say greenbacks or other. With the RA100, you may need at least 4 when using a 25W-30W speaker.

Now I am hearing more mids peaking. Perhaps my ears are getting used to the amp or the tubes are warming up a bit. Tone wise the TC-50 is very close to the RA100. Characteristic wise, the TC-50 has more bottom end on the Hi/lo channel and it is tight. Power supply does not seem to sag on power chords like it will with the RA100 but may depend on tubes and load. What can be more awesome than an amp head that weighs a meager 35lbs and is almost as loud as its big brother the RA100 which has a mirror image of the weight (53lbs).

I like both but the TC-50 seems to have the upper hand in terms of features and channel control. Switchable FX loop is perfect along with the Reverb button right next to it. Solo is an added bonus as is the individual reverb levels for each channel. The hidden treasure just may be the 6V6 but have not ordered them yet.

Has some common ground with the RA but a bit different.

Thinking on another project that will include all of the Mesa amps. Have to keep it simple to my skill level though. Complete with acoustic drums and bass, throw in some effects and see how it will all turn out. For lead, the JP-2C, TC-50 and perhaps the Mark V will definitely have a major role. Roadster and RA100 for some rhythm and will have to see how it boils down. If it works out I will post it. If not, at least it was a learning experience.

Thanks for the feedback on this amp. I have a vertical 2x12 cabinet and am really GASing for the TC-50. I play mostly metal, but also blues and classic rock, so I'm glad that this amp is versatile tone wise. It would be great to not have to haul around a 4x12 cabinet anymore for gigs!

I'm waiting for a couple things before I pull the trigger on the TC-50: First, paying off some CC debt AND then waiting to see what else Mesa may release in the Triple Crown series. I'm hoping for a head of similar size to fit on the 2x12 vertical cab, but a power selectable option of 100/50 watts. Hell, if they threw on a Graphic EQ, that would complete the package! I know it's a lot to fit into the compact head size, but if they did it with the Mark V, maybe there's hope.

At first, I was not impressed as I stated in my NAD. JP-2C had me hooked and it still does. However, it was not until I pitted the TC-50 against the RA100 did I soon realize its potential. Also the manual helped to discover the intentions with this amp. If Mesa ever decided to add more models to the Triple crown line up it may be similar to the Trans Atlantic series (including the Royal Atlantic). In essence, they delivered the 50W platform under a different series. It did not take long to realize I already had a 100W version of the TC-50, namely the RA100. There are some differences tone wise and some added features the RA was lacking. The bottom end is tight and present in its character but does not dominate. Clean channel can be dialed in dark which I like and it holds true to being dry when not running the drive. Dry in relation to crisp tone, piano like bottom notes that rival the Mark V clean channel. What is really cool about the clean channel with drive engaged you can bring the dirt all the way to that of Lo gain channel. Similar to the RA100 but I found the bass usually has to be dialed out as it is dominant with that amp. For the Hi/lo channels (similar to the RA100) but a bit more refined in its gain structure. Bottom end does not seem to get loose and retains its composure. For some reason I believe there is a bit of JP-2C characteristic going on here in terms of note definition with higher gain settings. The RA100 gets swamped easily with the stock Mesa EL34 tubes but excels with the SED =C= EL34. Having the right set of preamp tubes to complement those =C= makes the RA100 a beast that may even rival the JP-2C. Too bad I did not buy a surplus of those when I had a chance. I have not explored other tube possibilities with the TC-50 (may have briefly to hear a difference) I did return V3 back to a standard Mesa 12AX7 tube. I did have a Mesa SPAX7 there at first thinking this amp would be too bright for my taste. It is bright, just as much as the JP-2C is. Not brittle by any means. Of course with higher gain settings you may need to back off the treble and some presence but in all the amp is quite controllable and does not go too non-linear in an overdose of feedback and mushy character.

I did try the Mesa 5BEQ pedal for a brief trial. The standard V pattern will kill the TC-50 as it seems mid starved. The TC-50 is perfect without the graphic EQ and does not seem necessary. I had better effect with the RA and Roadster using the 5BEQ. I will have to try it again sooner or later. Most amps that do not have the sliders generally have filtering that tailor the fundamentals other than the tone controls so it seems as if it was design in. One point, my effects pedals never sounded better than though this amp. Most of them are line level compliant and a few that are instrument level. This amp seems like it was made to run effects. I was overly impressed with the TC-50 when I was using a Strymon Big Sky reverb pedal with a setting that introduces an octave below and an octave above the dry signal. WOW. Such clarity and no loss on the bass. Also the best amp I have used the chorus pedal with (in the loop). Even though the reverb looks small, it actually does sound really good. To my surprise (depending on level) I had the same echo effect with the RA100 as well. When you are playing you do not even notice it but only when you stop you get some faint echo tails. JP-what? Oh yeah that amp... well I guess I am cheating here as I was uncertain that honeymoon was not over (it is not). Not I will have to figure out if I can link the two together with the Midi controller..... That would be an interesting layer of sound.

I think I have too many amps..... I have not played thought the Roadster in a while..... since I got the JP-2C (perhaps not entirely true as I did compare the Roadster to the JP only to find a good match as a complementary amp in a mix), I have not played through the JP-2C since I got the TC-50 as my focus has been with this amp. At least the TC has sparked my interest back to the RA similar effect that the JP-2C had on me with the Mark V. Perhaps my ears have adjusted. If I continue to play thought he TC-50 with my current settings I will suffer hearing loss. It is just remarkable how loud the TC-50 is. My other 100W amps at half power do not compare. Definitely need to get some 6V6 tubes.

:shock: I got the Mesa 6V6 tubes today. Those suckers are small and sort of remind me of the EL84 but with a wider base but not as tall.
Now I am impressed more than ever with this amp! Best of all you can hit the sweet spot without loosing your hearing. Still quite loud even though it is reduced to 25W output. It sounds more like a Mark series amp running SED =C= 6L6 tubes. I am in awe with this thing. I only played a short while with one of my humbucker equipped guitars. I will have to grab one or my super strat (Carvin Bolt C with Seymour Duncan pups, rails in one, and ETA set in the other). Talk about some rich sounding tone. Awesome for the blues. I am definitely in love with the TC-50 now. I do like the EL34 but love the character the amp takes on with the 6V6 tubes (all channels and settings to boot). 8)

I had to do it...... it was begging me to do it.... everyday I walk past it and it just sits there without any attention. Do what you may ask?

Run the Roadster in parallel with the TC-50 all out for a Metal mayhem comparison. Totally different amps in all respect. Tone does not compare to each other as they seem to reside in different spectrum of tone. Both are definitely high gain critters.

Roadster running though the Horizontal Recto 212 cab (CH4 modern), TC-50 pushing the Vert 212 cab (CH3). Both amps were set for a balanced output level and linked with the Lehle P-split ( isolated output on one of the signal splits to eliminate gound loop issues and hum). Holly (insert word of choice) :shock: Not that was something to experience. Typical chug and intermittent playing just sounded sinister. TC-50 response time was quicker than the Roadster but the effect of running both in or out of phase was just incredible. I was able to get that tone I hear on recordings of the Recto. Always wondered how they mic'd the amp as I could never replicate that with the Roadster on its own. Perhaps the dual or triple rec is fuller in its voice than the Roadster. Not I have more ideas for my next recoding project.

I have done a demo for the TC 50 you can check it out here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqJbxn0sLIA

Multiple devices, get your opinion

Latest posts

Back