Got one

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I've been really enjoying the TC-50. I've spent pretty much all of my time on the blue channel and have been experimenting with a lot of different songs using dry and wet/dry/wet setups.

You can really do a lot with this channel - it's got more range than the Electra Dyne had on both Vintage Hi and Lo in my opinion, and you don't flatten your house trying to get it set to a volume that you can hear it at.

I've been recording a lot, but mostly on Music Memos on my iPhone right now - just song ideas. I haven't really felt like I could put together a Logic arrangement that would do this any justice yet.

As usually, spending time with this amp has taught me a lot about my other amps. Both the JP-2c and the Mark V high gain channels can sound really good with the eq disengaged - which is a pretty new thing for me.

Anyway, I'm loving the amplifier, so I'm spending more time on my singing...which needs work.

-Daniel

dlpasco said:
-. Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop, a cab clone and midi, this is the amp I'll be looking for for rehearsals and gigs.

-Daniel

Hey Daniel,
I had asked you about the Mark V loop last month and then decided to do some testing.
My only effect is a Nemesis delay.
I moved it up to the front of the amp.
In this way I have delay pre the Mark V reverb.
I hard bypassed the fx loop.
Yes,I'm going to run my amp this way.
First of all,the pops when changing channels are very minute now.
Way too loud when loop was engaged.
The Nemesis sounds great in front ,running into the Mesa verb.
At home levels,everything sounds great.
When I get to jam with friends,and get to wind the amp out a bit more,it will be interesting to hear it then.
I have a feeling I'll still like it with fx hard bypassed.

So I'm curious about the voicings of the channels and if it can get the sounds I'm after.

What I would really like is 3 channels and the full footswitching capabilities of this amp, where the 3 channels can get rectifier sounds as Ch 1 - clean, Ch 2-pushed, and Channel 3- Vintage or Modern. Plus a solo boost and a usable FX loop and reverb. This amp has the "features" just don't know about the tones...

Seems like it might be able to do it.

I have a Mark V but have not really been happy with it. The sound is kind of sterile and tinny, not as much girth as a rectifier, somehow. Not sure if that describes it but just feel like I don't like the sound of it, and I wish it had two channel 1's (I like all 3 modes of this channel) and one channel 2. I mostly hate channel 3. Even Channel 2 still isn't as good as the vintage/modern sounds I get off my mini-rectifier....so the Mark V sits and I play the hell out of the stupid mini-rec if you can believe that, always wishing it had a 3rd channel with "pushed", plus clean and vintage on the other two, a solo boost and reverb.

Do the drive channels on the TC-50 sound more "mark" or more "rectifier"?

Definitely nails clean, pushed, and high gain.

I'd say that the red channel is closer to recto than to mark in tone and feel.

Also, if you like Marks and but want more girth than the V, the JP-2C is excellent.

(I'm using both. I love them).

-Daniel

BluzCruz said:
So I'm curious about the voicings of the channels and if it can get the sounds I'm after.

What I would really like is 3 channels and the full footswitching capabilities of this amp, where the 3 channels can get rectifier sounds as Ch 1 - clean, Ch 2-pushed, and Channel 3- Vintage or Modern. Plus a solo boost and a usable FX loop and reverb. This amp has the "features" just don't know about the tones...

I have a Mark V but have not really been happy with it. The sound is kind of sterile and tinny, not as much girth as a rectifier, somehow. Not sure if that describes it but just feel like I don't like the sound of it, and I wish it had two channel 1's (I like all 3 modes of this channel) and one channel 2. I mostly hate channel 3. Even Channel 2 still isn't as good as the vintage/modern sounds I get off my mini-rectifier....so the Mark V sits and I play the hell out of the stupid mini-rec if you can believe that, always wishing it had a 3rd channel with "pushed", plus clean and vintage on the other two, a solo boost and reverb.

Thanks for the insights. Guess I gotta go try one out and see for myself. It's a couple hours drive or I'd have done it already...

Daniel,
I have gone through you post and see your initial impressions had some similarities to my own. The amp is bright but it is a nice sounding tone actually.
I can understand thoughts on selling the JP-2C as I am hearing some similar character with the TC-50 but with a different fundamental tone than compared to the Mark amps.

After much digging into the TC-50, I am beginning to realize this is the amp for me in most respects. At first I was not sure but now I am convinced it is a good fit for most of what I play. However, I still have a place for the rest of my amps so would be hard to let them go. At the moment, I have not run the JP-2C back to back with the TC-50. I have with the RA100. I like aspects of both TC and the RA. If I had to boil it down to one amp, that would be very difficult to decide. I could manage it down to two (TC-50 and the JP-2C) but not one. In terms of features and channel options I would choose the TC-50 if I had to make a choice but would greatly miss the JP-2C, or vise versa if I chose to keep the JP. If I was working with a cover band, the TC-50 would definitely do the multi-tasking job and would support many different styles of music. My ears have become more in tune when listening to the radio, as it seems the TC-50 would sound like that song more than the other amps I own.. I personally prefer to have more than I need as one amp may fit the mood I want to express better than another. I am really bonding with the TC-50 more than I expected too, just took a days worth of tube hours to really love what it can dish out. This is what I had experienced in the past with the Mesa or EH EL34 as they generally start off as sounding harsh or very bright but seem to mellow out just a bit after a weeks worth of playing (24 hours of tube usage).

I'm wondering about the effects loop of the TC...is it behaving like the Mark V, or is it free of the "neutering" effect you described?

I haven't tried the loop yet myself.
Unlike most of you, I bought the combo, because l don't own an open back cab...and I tend to hear my co-guitarist across the stage (he does open back). Plus the rest of the band should hear me better.
I haven't owned a combo in years, and I'm still working on settings. I want to have the combo dialed for those times when it's a small stage.

Anyone gigged with theirs yet?

-John

Scooterjohn said:
I'm wondering about the effects loop of the TC...is it behaving like the Mark V, or is it free of the "neutering" effect you described?

I haven't tried the loop yet myself.
Unlike most of you, I bought the combo, because l don't own an open back cab...and I tend to hear my co-guitarist across the stage (he does open back). Plus the rest of the band should hear me better.
I haven't owned a combo in years, and I'm still working on settings. I want to have the combo dialed for those times when it's a small stage.

Anyone gigged with theirs yet?

-John

Hi, the fx loop on the TC-50 is great. I gigged with mine about a month ago for a Stone Temple Pilots set and the amp was superb.

dlpasco said:
There's definitely a grainy character to Lo that reminds me of my Mark III when I am running mixed EL34s and 6L6s instead a 6L6 quad.
And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

Thanks for mentioning that mixed mode. I gotta check that out! I must have overlooked it in the manual. Still getting to know my TC-50.

I bought a lonestar 23 cabinet from The Guitar Store in Seattle. I have to say they were very attentive with phone calls and assistance...I was trying to get it quickly before a gig, and it made it - but my comment is actually more about the pre-sale support I got, which was good. I liked them better than Sweetwater by a longshot, plus they are on the west coast but out of state from me which means...several days faster shipping, still no sales tax, etc.

BluzCruz said:
dlpasco said:
There's definitely a grainy character to Lo that reminds me of my Mark III when I am running mixed EL34s and 6L6s instead a 6L6 quad.
And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

Thanks for mentioning that mixed mode. I gotta check that out! I must have overlooked it in the manual. Still getting to know my TC-50.

I bought a lonestar 23 cabinet from The Guitar Store in Seattle. I have to say they were very attentive with phone calls and assistance...I was trying to get it quickly before a gig, and it made it - but my comment is actually more about the pre-sale support I got, which was good. I liked them better than Sweetwater by a longshot, plus they are on the west coast but out of state from me which means...several days faster shipping, still no sales tax, etc.

!!! I MEANT MIXED MODE ON MY MARK III, NOT MY TC-50 !!!

Don’t hurt your amp, it’s awesome!

BluzCruz said:

TC-50, with the Mesa EL34s, 24 hours of use on the tubes and the amp wakes up. For some reason or another the EHX EL34s need a burn in period (same tube branded by Mesa). After about 20 some hours of use the mids begin to blossom and that is a rewarding experience. The 6V6 is also amazing and seems to fill the gap between the 6L6 and EL34. Wow, I am very impressed with them. I went back to the EL34 for the moment. They sound incredible, best so far in the TC-50 than I have tried in other amps. Sure due to differences in plate voltage and such.... The TC-50 has become one of my favorites even though my first impression was sub par (I know the Mesa (EHx EL34) need some burn in time so I was patient, too bad I did not hold off on my first impressions). High gain tone, it seems to teeter on the fence and does get close to the Mark arena. Not as dark as the Rectifier tone but you can definitely drive the bass up with this amp. Sort of a class all of its own. Another Boogie Marshall with Vox character. Ch1 is amazing for an EL34 amp. Normal is awesome and I love it, drive is way too much fun and will cover most vintage rock (Led Zep, ACDC). Vintage Lo (blue) is also incredible for the more heavier vintage tones (again Led Zep, ACDC and broaden that list to more than I can think of). Vintage Hi (RED) is may favorite. Enters some Mark tone territory but yet remains quite articulate. Drop D is F-ing awesome! Since I got this amp I have a desire to get a 7 or 8 string guitar...... There is plenty of Mojo packed into this 50W amp. I cannot put into words that gives this amp any justice. Note, if you do get one, put some hours on the tubes as they will seem bright at first but will blossom to greatness, may it be sinister or grind with authority it will do it. I love My JP-2C, Roadster RA100 and Mark V (after saturation mod), but the TC-50 is just delivering the goods I cannot get from the other amps ( and it does cross the line into Mark territory as there is some heritage in the amp. It is also similar to the RA100 in some respects but only better!). My favorite cab is the Mesa Rec Vert 212 that I cherished with the JP-2C, guess which amp is cold and covered and not on top of the cab? The JP-2C. Don't get me wrong on that, the JP-2C is a beast of a different tone and is still top of my list, the TC-50 is climbing that ladder quickly and now is favored about the same as the JP-2C even though they are completely different.

For your Mark V sterile CH3 (note that the tone vasectomy is reversible)
There is a simple fix for CH3 on the Mark V that will definitely change your mind how you like or hate the Mark V. In the short version buy a single JAN/Phillips 12AT7 (WC) and install it into V4. A few are using same in V6 but that takes away some of the character you get with CH1 and CH2 when using the FXloop. That is the WOW factor and adds mojo to the Mark V you never knew was there all this time.
Here is the thread......
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73352

However, for some odd reason why Mesa decided to use line level effects send is beyond reason. Everything else in the Mesa line up uses instrument level compliant send/return. TC-50 works great with all pedals I have (some are line level compliant and the few I kept are instrument level no tone issues or overdriving the input buffers). If I had seen this before I sold most of my instrument level gear I would still have my rack mount units. Line Level shifter by Ebtech is supposed to be used in FX loops. You can run instrument level pedals from a line level FX loop. I am assuming the LLS-2 uses audio transformers for the level shift. I will have to get one for myself sooner or later. My initial solution was to go with Strymon pedals but for those who want to use their multi effects units that may not be compatible with line level gear this would probably do the trick for the Mark V FX loop. Just a suggestion and not a recommendation as I have not personally tried one yet.

http://www.ebtechaudio.com/llsdes.html

Latest posts

Back