Multiple Amp Tone Comparison SOUND CLIPS

Dual/Triple Rectos, Maverick, Blue Angel, Nomad, Road King, F-Series, Lone Star & Stiletto

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

Given To Fly
Mark III

Re: Multiple Amp Tone Comparison SOUND CLIPS

Post by Given To Fly » Mon May 08, 2017 2:09 am

elvis wrote:The multi-channel capability of the DAW is really cool, but I went for simple. Apogee Duet 2 and my mac. Works great for what I am doing.

I am definitely running my amps WAY quieter than you. Even then, I really hear the proximity effect when I compare mics 2" away vs. 2' away. I do want to try louder, but I don't want to shatter my mic element. I am shopping for a ribbon, but they are $$$$. Still, I am pretty close to just getting a Royer 121 and calling it a day. That plus my SM57 would be as much mic as I'll ever need.
In case you have not purchased a ribbon microphone, I found this:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gearslu ... 13-ne.html
Mesa uses this mic quite often, Petrucci uses it with a Shure SM57, Mesa got the idea from Petrucci, and in general, it seems to capture guitar amps really well.

By the way, the Apogee Duet 2 is a great interface and the Bogner Shiva 20th sounded great! GarageBand is pretty amazing considering it is free, but it has some "features" that may not be helpful to you in the long run. It is not a big deal right now but may be something think about in the future. 8)

elvis
Donating Member

Re: Multiple Amp Tone Comparison SOUND CLIPS

Post by elvis » Mon May 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tips and your comments!
Mini Rectifier blue LED
Stiletto ACE
F50 Combo
Recto 2x12 Vertical
Recto 2x12 Wedge

Dreamtheaterrules
Mark IV