The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:29 pm 
Bottle Rocket

willashe wrote:
Does this mod cut bass feeding into the entire channel two (with drive on and off)? You refer to the capacitor cutting bass to the drive channel so I'm not sure if you mean the mod effects all of channel two or only the drive section.
I have a Lone Star Special 1x12 combo with the stock Black Shadow and that develops too much flubby bass (100-250k) at higher volumes and reducing the bass too much causes harshness I think around 4-6k. This happens with treble low or high and presence low to off. This is with humbuckers and no pedals. I get a little less bass and tighter with a Thiele cabinet with an EV 12 but still too much bottom at higher volumes (with master volume anywhere from 10 to 2) so I don't think it is just the speaker/cab combination. I have the same problem on both channel one and two at overdrive volumes (with or without drive engaged) but more so with two.
I do like channel two at lower to medium clean volumes. How does the mod sound at lower clean volumes on channel two without drive engaged?
Anyone else using the mod?
Thanks

Just did this on a switch drilled into front panel so its readily reverted to stock depending on tonal needs. Also did reeder mod 1, and have reeder mod 2 on switches.

First off: Reeder Mod 2 does absolutely nothing on both channels. Useless.
Reeder Mod 1 is excellent and is complimented nicely by this capacitor mod.

Capacitor mod affects only when DRIVE channel is engaged, not all of channel 2 (so I recommend doing Reeder Mod 1as a compliment to straighten out the rest of channel 2)

I ended up having to change stock capacitor for one of the exact same value (Fender Pure Vintage Yellow 600v .005uf) and on a SPDT mini switch on the front panel I have it change to a Fender Pure Vintage Blue (600V .001uf). Highly recommend this on a switch!!!! Cause the Reeder mod 1 sounds good for alot of stuff on even with the drive channel on! Adds so much versatility, can't say I recommend making the change without the switch though, cause I enjoy both capacitor settings equally for different things!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:16 am 
Single Recto

I have been unable to find an exact match capacitor .001uf value of 600v. Where can it be found? And can you tell us more on how to wire up a switch? Would that involve placing both caps at the switch? Then complete the loop to the boards original caps terminals?

Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am 
Bottle Rocket

plan-x wrote:
I have been unable to find an exact match capacitor .001uf value of 600v. Where can it be found? And can you tell us more on how to wire up a switch? Would that involve placing both caps at the switch? Then complete the loop to the boards original caps terminals?

Of course:

With all due respect, the claim that this cap has to be ceramic is incorrect.

These are the caps I used:

.001 Uf 600v- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... &index=12#

.005 Uf 600v (To mimic Stock cap that you will be clipping out)- http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor ... 7CClickCP#

Switch:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BT ... UTF8&psc=1

Procedure: Yes you'll be clipping out the old cap in that position (as the legs are clipped too short to be utilized in the switch setup, and wiring each of the new caps to each pole of a SPDT mini switch (On-On), and the common lug of the switch will have a wire going to one of the original pcb holes for the cap, and then both loose capacitors legs will be connected to the other hole on the PCB Take care to avoid shorts, might want to use some shrink tubing or electrical tape on places that seems too close for comfort to other metal surfaces/ contacts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:05 am 
Single Recto

Nice! Very cool info. Thanks Ls Lad. Do you prefer the .001 cap when playing?

Plan-x
https://myspace.com/wichmanbrewster/music/songs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:32 pm 
Bottle Rocket

plan-x wrote:
Nice! Very cool info. Thanks Ls Lad. Do you prefer the .001 cap when playing?

Depends on the situation. For playing Stevie, the .001 with my stats neck pickup is the closest I've ever achieved, even with a dumble clone, but is way too thin for certain other sounds; as i said before definitely consider having it on a switch, cause while it is an improvement in versatility (and the sounds you can get using it are amazing) I disagree with the original poster that it is an across the board improvement for all (or most) applications to the point where I could commit to ONLY the .001 (not switched).

Definitely do Reeder mod 1 (Switching the gain and master volume pots on the second channel) as well as this mod on a switch, I cannot recommend this combination enough.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:03 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Its funny. I never had any problems with tone once I saw a video with Andy Timmons explaining how he eq's the amp. The Mesa Eq is different than that of say a Marshall or Fender. Each tone knob effects the way the others sound. So in short, I have the Treble at 1-2 O'clock,Mids and Bass at 9O'Clock. Presence at Noon. In a band setting this amp just kills, and I get nothing but compliments on my sound. Also, when I play straight ahead blues, I take out the drive stage and leave the settings the same. No mine is a 2016 model, so perhaps they changed the amp components.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm 
Bottle Rocket

adrianni wrote:
Here it is.
The track is recorded in the following way:
PRS Custom24 HFS treble and Vintage bass - Lonestar - Suhr Reactive Load - Apogee Duet - Logic Pro with Torpedo Wall of Sound plugin. The plugin is an impulse loader. I loaded a Mesa 4x12 from Ownhammer.
https://soundcloud.com/adrianni/mesa-drive-mod

How does it sound in a band mix?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 3:04 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Also, as an experiment, who could I send my amp to so I can try this out?

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:59 pm 
Mark II

Its interesting actually.I picked up a LSS a few months back ,mostly for cleans as id had one b4 and wasnt too keen on the gain channel.Never actually tried it in a band the first time.But since getting this second one ive been using it a lot.funny thing is its cutting through fine.A lot better than my royal atlantic too.I dont have the gain and drive up beyond noon/1 oclock though.Also im using mr timmons bridge pickup which really suits this amp.Maybe that has something to do with it.There is without question too much bass on the drive channel but i like the overall character of it.I may try a mod down the line but dont feel an overwhelming need to at the min

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:50 am 
Mark I

I've read this 'issue' before but when i look at the frequencies within my DAW when playing channel 2 on my LSC i see lots of activity within the low/mid frequency range which you can't dial out with just the LOW or MID EQ knobs on the amp. You can only add more treble to balance it out. Its mentioned here before, if you don't want to modify your amp you could for example buy the Mesa 5-band EQ pedal and place it in the amp effects loop. When lowering the 240Hz slider you easily get rid of the quickly building up low/mid frequencies which i think is because of the cascading drive design of these amps!? It works great for me and it gives you a much tighter drive if desired. You don't even have to lower the 80Hz slider that much which made me realize the real low end is not the biggest problem here. I think the best upgrade on the Lone Star amps would be a 5 band EQ stack but i think this is not gonna happen so a EQ pedal is your best solution to sculpture your 'perfect' drive sound on the Lone Star without a mod!

On a side note you should also consider another (Mesa) amp if the Lone Star series doesn't provide you the sounds you are after. Its imo the same as wanna make a Les Paul guitar sound like a Stratocaster or vice versa.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:23 pm 
Mark I

+1 on the EQ in the loop instead of the mod. I purchased an MXR 10-Band EQ pedal due to me not getting along with the drive channel of the LSC. Placing it in the effects loop really tightened things up and saved this amp from being sold. Glad I tried it.