Mark IIA vs. Mark IIB, Which Do You Prefer?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'59fatburst

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a new member to this forum and have spent the last several days reading all the fascinating posts and gaining so much insight into these wonderful amps. So, thank you! I wanted the opinions of others regarding a dilema that I'm having. I own a pretty nice 1979 Mark IIA that I really like. I friend of mine is selling an early 1980's Mark IIB that I've become interested in. I've begun to entertain the thought of selling my IIA to purchase his IIB. The descriptions that I've read about these amps are very accurate. My IIA is, tonally, like a Bassman and his IIB is more like a Blackface Fender. Since I just picked up an original Mark I, I thought the IIB may be different enough to justify the purchase since the IIA overlaps tonally with my MKI. I'm wondering which of you guys have both amps or have played both and which do you prefer? What is it that you prefer about each amp and why, etc.? I think I'm ready to grab that IIB but I may need a little bit of prodding or convincing. :p It's tough to dump the IIA. It's sounds good and I think it's kind of rare but how many high powered amps does one guy need?

'59fatburst said:
Hello everyone! I'm a new member to this forum and have spent the last several days reading all the fascinating posts and gaining so much insight into these wonderful amps. So, thank you! I wanted the opinions of others regarding a dilema that I'm having. I own a pretty nice 1979 Mark IIA that I really like. I friend of mine is selling an early 1980's Mark IIB that I've become interested in. I've begun to entertain the thought of selling my IIA to purchase his IIB. The descriptions that I've read about these amps are very accurate. My IIA is, tonally, like a Bassman and his IIB is more like a Blackface Fender. Since I just picked up an original Mark I, I thought the IIB may be different enough to justify the purchase since the IIA overlaps tonally with my MKI. I'm wondering which of you guys have both amps or have played both and which do you prefer? What is it that you prefer about each amp and why, etc.? I think I'm ready to grab that IIB but I may need a little bit of prodding or convincing. :p It's tough to dump the IIA. It's sounds good and I think it's kind of rare but how many high powered amps does one guy need?

I had both (60 100 Rev Eq), worked on both to make them work as expected (I opened one thread for each). They sound very close. I kept the MKIIA because it was quieter.

My advice : keep your IIA and buy the IIB - and then compare - and then sell the one you don't want to keep - unless you finally keep them both !

A+!

A+!

Mike Bendinelli says that the II-A has a sound that is very unique within the Mark series. I think he was referring to the clean sound.

I eventually settled on the IIB. The clean tone was a little better to me. It was closer to a blackface Fender but with more mids. It really fattened up my Tele. Now, I need to find a Mark I!

Back