Best speaker with a recto, other than v30's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did get the EVM12L black labels back into my old OS recto cab. I actually like them better than the V30 with the Roadster. As it seems with the volume goes up, the V30s tend to get harsh, EV on the other hand just gets louder and places a different perspective on things. I have tried them in a traditional size cabinet, was not impressed as it sounded like the speaker was getting choked. In the OS recto 412 they rock. However, those that have a RA100: not recommended with EV, Mark series, Rectifier series are a definite yes).

A better alternative to the 412 cab would be the horizontal 212 as that cab sound deep on the bottom end even though it has V30s. Black Label versions of the EV speaker are closer to the original EVM12L black shadow used by Mesa. The Classic is a bit softer on the webbing and does not sound quite the same (had both when I owned a Mark III combo) but things have changed over the years and I have not had the classic version for many years (the one I had was 20 years old and the Mark III was 24 years old, still sounded as good as it did when I bought it).

I would consider the option when you are ready as they can be expensive speakers. Emminence and WGS have a similar version as a lower cost option.

My favorite cabinet for my playing type is still an early Rectifier straight cabinet with the straight angled baffle board. I have noticed newer ones are essentially a slant cabinet with straight sides. No clue about the differing geometry inside the cabinet affecting the sound but the newer cabinets do not sound as organic if I can use a word.

I also love removing the casters and using a small carpet remnant cut to the dimensions of the cabinet footprint. The coupling of the cabinet to the floor this way does some really neat things to the fluid dynamics of the audio. It affects the low end a little, but not in a bad way. I affirms my idea that a Rectifier is EQ'ed stock so that the low end starts about 18" below surface level compared to say a Marshall which starts about 18-24" above surface level.

Marshalls feel like a punch to the chest. Mesa's feel like they are destroying every atom around you before they explode you into cosmic energy.

Back