Best New Boogie for a Rhythm Player

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caltex nc

Reaction score
I'm selling my 1981 Mark IIB because it's too heavy to cart around. What are the best sounding and light weight amps among the newer models for a rhythm player? Play custom Newman Jones guitars, one with active EMGs and one with passive EMGs, and one single coil. Any suggestions? I've had this amp since '81.
Thanks.

Boogie doesn't make lightweight amps.

That said, the 25w-35w range is lighter (smaller chassis, smaller transformers) than the fullsize heads. But, if you're looking to stay up in the 75w-100w range they're not going to be that much lighter than what you're used to.

Are you looking to replace a head or a combo?

Tried out a new Mark V yesterday, the 25W and the next size up. Underwhelming sound. I'm trying to find separate components. Any thoughts? The Mark Vs just don't have the warm bottoms of the Mark IIBs.

caltex nc said:
Tried out a new Mark V yesterday, the 25W and the next size up. Underwhelming sound. I'm trying to find separate components. Any thoughts? The Mark Vs just don't have the warm bottoms of the Mark IIBs.

Your guitar and speaker choice has much to do with the overall tone of your whole set-up. Warm is pretty subjective, no? To me, I can coax any tone out of most any amp so warm, I think dark tone with no brittleness which would have much more to do speaker choice than amp type, YMMV.

If the weight is the issue (and obviously that's the case because you want to sell your long-time companion the MKIIB :cry: ), I suggest you to have a look to the DV Mark amplifiers. I tested or heard several of them in my local shop to attest that it's good equipement - and record-lightweight.

http://www.dvmark.it/products/combos/

This one, with 50W and a 8.7kg / 19.18lbs seems interesting - there's a video demo alongside :

http://www.dvmark.it/product-detail/dvc-guitar-friend-12/

Any thoughts? The Mark Vs just don't have the warm bottoms of the Mark IIBs.

To compete with a MKIIA or MKIIB is a difficult task...

A+!

Latest posts

Back