Don't forget about the clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Sure the JP-2C sounds amazing on CH2 and CH3. I have not quite exhausted what I can do with the amp on the lead channels. However, I have been enjoying the clean channel more than I thought I would. I am finding myself using the clean channel more than I have with my other amps. It may not have that low gain bite you can get with the TC-50, or the RA100, it lacks the flavors of the Roadster clean channels or the Mark V voices. What it has in common is the fat voice but yet it is more soothing than the rest. I have explored using the 5BEQ with the clean channel but it sounds the best without it. Just guitar and reverb and I am happy. I have many guitars at my disposal but the mahogany body set neck Carvin guitars are my favorites (CT6 which is similar to the PRS Custom 24 or McCarty). Another favorite is a Bolt C (strat style with locking Floyd Rose) with an Alder body and thick maple top loaded with SD "everything Axe" pups. This guitar sounds awesome on the clean channel. I should try to borrow my friends MIM Strat just to hear the difference.

I basically run the clean channel with all the controls at noon. Nice warm and mellow tone that draws you in. Not harsh or brittle or lacking depth. I never thought a closed back cabinet could sound as good. The JP-2C has lots of mojo in CH2 and CH3 but do not forget about the soul in CH1. Sweet ear candy with every note played. I basically use the Mesa Vertical 2x12 most of the time. Once in a while I will use one of the 412 cabs. Love this amp and I question why would I want anything else? Variety is good to have and I do not regret keeping my other amps even though they may not be getting the attention they deserve. There are times I need to put the JP-2C in another room so I can get some time on the other amps. I am very pleased with all of the features the JP-2C has to offer. Very simple to use and I do not have to bother looking up settings in a manual to figure it out.

I use the clean channel about 20% of the time, ch.3, 30% & ch.2, 50%. I have my clean dirtied up so that when the guitar volume is all the way, it gets kind of meaty to where ch.2 picks up from there at half volume on the guitar. Ch.2 has the gain at 9-10 o'clock pushed in. Ch.3 has the gain at 3 o'clock pulled and can sound similar to ch.2 when at half volume on the guitar. GEQ2 is set for a lead boost for all channels.
"Mark Knoffler to Pantera on one amp, impressive" as quoted from last Wednesdays open mic.

Markedman said:
I use the clean channel about 20% of the time, ch.3, 30% & ch.2, 50%. I have my clean dirtied up so that when the guitar volume is all the way, it gets kind of meaty to where ch.2 picks up from there at half volume on the guitar. Ch.2 has the gain at 9-10 o'clock pushed in. Ch.3 has the gain at 3 o'clock pulled and can sound similar to ch.2 when at half volume on the guitar. GEQ2 is set for a lead boost for all channels.
"Mark Knoffler to Pantera on one amp, impressive" as quoted from last Wednesdays open mic.

That's exactly how I use mine. Set each channel as dirty as I'll ever need it and use the guitar's controls to bridge the gap. The clean channel has beautiful breakup with all the EQs cranked and can still get sparkly bouncy clean when rolled off. Absolutely seamless. I used my V the same way but if anything the JP sounds even better for my needs. From Beatles to SRV to Thin Lizzy to VH to Metallica to smooth Petrucci leads all from the guitar's controls. Heaven.

There is a misconception with the clean channel, if you think that there is no grit there, you haven't tried to find it. I've been using ch1 as much or more than ch3 lately. I play through different cabinets throughout the week as I play in several bands so I'm constantly adjusting the settings for all three channels and GEQ's. I've come to the point where the gain levels almost, or do, overlap. Depending on song, my gain for ch2 is anywhere from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock. My clean is sparkly in ch1 when the tone and volume knobs on my guitar are turned down and I can do Metallica on ch3. Ch3 stays pulled, gain at 3 o'clock.

My GEQ settings were not my normal last night. Usually there is a boost in volume when I kick in the GEQ but for some reason last night there was only a tone adjustment without a volume boost so I was able to get a bluesy tone and then when I kicked the GEQ on it gave the tone that scooped greatness that Fender/Marshall amps are known for. I did not start out looking to do that but ended up with that GEQ setting because of the room/cabinet choice.

https://flic.kr/p/Tp1mRY

Perhaps you are right about that, There is some bit of distortion but not as much clip as the RA100, or Roadster or Mark V clean channels. But again, I have not tried to find it as I have not max out the gain setting on the clean channel. There is some to gain with the EQ though. I will have to experiment with it later this weekend.

I had some excellent results with power tube overdrive on the clean channel recently. Some awesome classic rock tones to be had. Things can get pretty crunchy. 8) I was using an attenuator to keep the flub and the high end under control. An 8 db cut using a hot plate did the trick. Any more and it just sucks up to much tone. Still loud as hell. Not a very practical tone I'll admit, but it still sounded good.

A switch that drops the headroom back to normal would be a great option to have. That and the original extra volume control and the JP2C would be even better.

Alright, the clean does have some breakup and clipping as do all of my amps with their clean channels. Perhaps comparable to the RA100 clean with about 60% gain setting. I guess it depends on what guitar I am using on the clean channel. I had been spending more time with the TC-50 and when I returned to the JP-2C it was more notable in the clip than before. Perhaps a different perspective was needed to realize the clean is not clean but ideal in lack of a better term.

Back