ED Vintage Lo Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zest

Reaction score
Hi,
I've been considering getting an Electra Dyne. Since I can't try it, I was wondering what you guys think the Vintage Lo channel is most similar to? I was mainly wondering if it's most similar to a JTM45. Also has anyone used the EDwith an attenuator like a Weber Mass?

Thanks,
Zach

I've only owned one Marshall, a DSL 401 combo, so I can't speak about "the Marshall sound" with full capacity. But, to me, my Dyne has that older Marshall vibe with a LOT more fullness and richness with the bottom end. It focuses more on the lower mids and is amazing. It's not flubby; it feels like a brick hitting me in the chest. BIG round sound. The Vintage Lo mode is the one I use the most. I don't much care for the Vintage Hi as it feels more compressed than I prefer. To get more gain out of Vintage Lo, I use an Xotic BB Preamp with its gain set at about 9 o'clock and all other knobs at noon. With my amp's gain set at about 1 o'clock, I get the tone I've only heard in my head for years. Speakers are definitely important, too. I don't care for my Dyne through V30s. I much prefer the WGS British Lead speakers. I get a smooth, creamy tone that feels like an endless supply of tonal bliss.

Tubes will also affect your tone. I primarily use Tung-Sol preamp tubes, with the PI slot as the only exception. I use a Sovtek 12AX7LPS there. There are many differing opinions for the power tubes. I currently use Tung-Sol EL34Bs. I've tried Mullard EL34s, and was not as impressed. However, my next experiment will be to use EH 6CA7 power tubes. Those are like a hybrid between EL34 and 6L6. Big bottle EL34 bias, but more 6L6 tone. I've used those tubes in a Carvin Vai Legacy and it felt like the amp was made for those tubes. It's also a nice choice if you can't decide which tone you like better. Sort of like the best of both worlds. I would avoid the JJ 6CA7s, though. From what I've read, they aren't nearly as good as the EH.

I've never used an attenuator with my Dyne. I once owned a Hot Plate, but got rid of it because of how it squeezed the tone out of the amp I used it with. The Dyne really starts to bloom with the master at noon or above. But, that's ear-splitting volume so I almost never get to crank it that high. Instead, I use the output volume of my G-Major 2 to control the volume when it's connected to my effects loop. Some will argue that you still can't get the full bloom of the amp that way, but all I can say is that it sounds better to me.

You can still check out the product demo video on Mesa's site (http://mesaboogie.com/support/out-of-production/electra-dyne.html). It's not the same as in person, but it will get your ears in the ballpark.

Even though I recently got a new Triple Crown 50, my Dyne is still my favorite amp as far as tone goes.

Thanks for all of the info. Currently deciding between an Electra Dyne and a TA-30.

Zest

Zest said:
Thanks for all of the info. Currently deciding between an Electra Dyne and a TA-30.

Zest

The ED would be my choice... but I made the choice already ;) I was deciding ED, Mini recto or Mark V25 and the ED somehow won me over with lack of buttons and simple workflow...

ED has something going on..

Well,
You're right Eevil! Ordered a 1x12 Electra Dyne Combo and will arrive soon!

Zest

Check the comparison ED videos on youtube from https://www.youtube.com/user/haggertysmusic/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYRvBnFIWnc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS32gXasQCc

Those videos gave me good idea how amp will sound like, and when I got one, it was exactly what I expected.
I really really like Electradyne - everything on it is for me perfect.

hope this helps

The Electra Dyne is one of my favourite amps I have ever played. To my ear, it sounds like a cross between a superbass and a Mark I.

Vintage low is great because it is so dynamic and go from a full on mid gain rhythm tone to cleans and it sounds good through the entire range.

Has anyone tried the gain trim set to lo / hi for breakup on the clean mode and an alternate clean on vintage lo?

I typically run the volume at 3:00 With the gain trim set to clean and I am abusing the amp with high output pickups.

RE: volume. I use a torpedo live most of the time these days. Best piece of gear I have ever bought

Honestly, the trim pot seems to be completely pointless. I need more gain on the clean (not less) in order to match vintage lo or vintage hi. Both lo and hi are a good 10db louder than the clean channel. I’ve been unable to get any help from Mesa on this. Their customer service sucks.
However, I do have to say this is my favorite amp ever. It just sounds so freakn good.
Mesa might have a customer for life, if they’d ever respond to any of my communications.

mikaellewis said:
Honestly, the trim pot seems to be completely pointless. I need more gain on the clean (not less) in order to match vintage lo or vintage hi. Both lo and hi are a good 10db louder than the clean channel. I’ve been unable to get any help from Mesa on this. Their customer service sucks.
However, I do have to say this is my favorite amp ever. It just sounds so freakn good.
Mesa might have a customer for life, if they’d ever respond to any of my communications.

Hi.

The trim pot works well when the amp is not loud. I usually crank the trim pot and use the lowest gain clean mode (the three mode switch on top of gain trim) and if it has to be louder then I just change to middle position :) it works most of time... :p

Zest said:
Well,
You're right Eevil! Ordered a 1x12 Electra Dyne Combo and will arrive soon!

Zest

Aaand... I also sold my ED head. Got an itch for ED again and I found NOS 1x12 23” ED combo in British Tan finish. Gorgeous tones from gorgeous looking combo :mrgreen:

Back