mini recto users , loud enough for gigs / band practice??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
I'm super tempted by the mini rectifier, and I was wondering if it might possibly be an amp I can use all the time, rather than at home.

Is it loud enough to gig with?? I play in a crossover punk/metal band, I'm a lead guitarist and the other guitarist plays a 5150.

Is anyone gigging with their mesa mini rectifier??

I gigged my MR for years, and then gigged a RV25 combo (same exact amp). For clubs it is fantastic. Plenty loud and cuts through well. Pairs very nicely with a Mesa 4x10, 2x12 recto, or widebody closed. I gigged all of those.

I did run it through FOH at times, though. It has its limits.

Make no mistake, the MR is LOUD, and needs to be played as such. Note, however, that the EL84 output stage can only push so much low-end, so it will be more of a high-mid emphasis in the band. Which actually would probably be perfect for punk. And the recto rattle is very present and cutting. Super sweet.

I didn't gig regularly with one, but I did buy a Mini Recto and vertical 2X12 before in hopes I could downsize my rig and make my back happy. Volume certainly isn't an issue, as it's more power than you'd ever need. It sounds louder than it is.

That being said, it's not as "big" sounding (obviously), and I missed the girth and low end/low mid punch of my bigger Rectos. So, I only gigged it once and went back to my Dual Recto and 4X12 cab. I figure there will be a day when I can no longer drag a 4X12 and 100W out for a show. May as well take advantage of it while I can!

Silverwulf said:
I didn't gig regularly with one, but I did buy a Mini Recto and vertical 2X12 before in hopes I could downsize my rig and make my back happy. Volume certainly isn't an issue, as it's more power than you'd ever need. It sounds louder than it is.

That being said, it's not as "big" sounding (obviously), and I missed the girth and low end/low mid punch of my bigger Rectos. So, I only gigged it once and went back to my Dual Recto and 4X12 cab. I figure there will be a day when I can no longer drag a 4X12 and 100W out for a show. May as well take advantage of it while I can!

Thanks for the input .
I guess it's like that extra punch you get from a 100 water that you don't get from the smaller amps then ?!!

It's the low-end thump. The 6L6 amps have it big-time, but even the 100W EL34 amps have more than an EL84 can push. Mesa designed the EL84 amps to match the power stages, so they roll off the lows and move the focus up a bit in frequency.

Again, the MR would fit well in a mix and cut through, but it won't have huge thump. You can give it a hand with a big thumpy cab like a recto 2x12 or a ported cab, but it is what it is.

You can get a used MR for pretty reasonable money and flip it if you don't like it. I've owned 4, plus a RV25, but still have my first MR.

I use mine through a solid 4x12 cab, plenty of thump. But the big cab means it's not a very portable rig. I used to gig an F50 1x12 , and i wouldn't say that had any more thump behind it than the Mini Rec through a big cab.

Plenty of volume, and it can get super aggressive if you want it to, as Elvis said, there's a definite emphasis on the high mids, which i actually really like. It cuts through the band and sounds great.

Having said that (and i'm more than happy with the Mini Rec) i wouldn't mind running one of the big dual/triple's through my cab just to experience it.

I also had a couple F50s, and I agree that they are voiced a lot like the MR, as Nick wrote. Still, you can definitely feel a difference between the 6L6 and EL84.

Actually Elvis you've reminded me that i did once play a gig with my F50 hooked up to a 2x12 oversized cab plus running through the on board speaker, looking back on it it did have a huge amount of thump behind it. There is something special about 6l6's, especially in a Mesa.

I've settled in with my stiletto deuce and recto 2x12 now , and I'm a total Mesa convert . It does everything my other amps couldn't !

I still need a small amp for home . I'm still really tempted by the mini recto . Is it small enough to get good sounds at home while being loud enough to do gigs ? I play in a punk / metal crossover band .

I totally agree with everything said and have this to add. I play in a power trio and I prefer my Lonestar for that. I need all the thunder I can get in that band. I also play in another band that has a rhythm guitar and keyboard and I'm mainly the lead guitar. Now in that situation I use the little guy with much success. I get by with a 1x12 or 2/1x12's stacked. I have a 2x12 for really big gigs.

WMHaze said:
Not sure if you've seen this online or not:
https://youtu.be/wygP9H24a5Y
These vids do reveal that the guitar gets buried by the drums at times.

Latest posts

Back