Thinking of switching from Tremoverb to Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there. I used to play lots of live music and had a 3ch dual rectifier stack, but sold it for tuition when I gave up the dream and went to college. I've since graduated and have more money. I bought a Tremoverb combo amp with the goal of practicing at home while having the horse power if I ever played a show again. I love the sound of this amp, and find the tones better than my original dual recto. The problem as most of you know is that in order to get great tones, you need bleeding-ear level volumes. I do use the loop active master to take volumes but it's just not doing it for me. The other problem is I use lots of effects, but the loop on this just sucks major ***.

I'm thinking of getting a Mark V. From my understanding, I should be able to get similar tones and more with the Mark V. I also see a switch for 10 / 90 watts, and if I'm understanding correctly, switching to 10w would be a hell of a lot quieter than my current 100w amp. I also imagine the loop is better on this. Can anyone tell me if this is all accurate? Thanks!

APEMAN said it well. For what it is, the V preforms really well at low volumes. I actually prefer to play in 90 watts at low volumes. The 10/45/90 options are really more like an amp character switch. The feel changes and the boldness and authority of the amp changes. 10 watts is surprisingly loud on the V, even getting into the amps sweet spot in 10 watts takes way to much volume to even play in an apartment. So unless you're trying to overdrive the power amp, you're basically just using the wattage options for feel and character.

The V performs better than tremoverb at low volumes. It's not a night and day difference, but it is an improvement. The GEQ on the V has a lot to do with that as well. And the loop on V has never been a problem for me. I only own 7 pedals and never run more than 2 in the loop at the same time though. If I had to move to an apartment and could only play at low volumes, I would be ok with playing my V there. But my JP2C? I don't know... I kinda need that sucker loud :mrgreen:

noiseordinance said:
I'm thinking of getting a Mark V. From my understanding, I should be able to get similar tones and more with the Mark V. I also see a switch for 10 / 90 watts, and if I'm understanding correctly, switching to 10w would be a hell of a lot quieter than my current 100w amp. I also imagine the loop is better on this. Can anyone tell me if this is all accurate? Thanks!
The Mark series and Recto series are not even close in character. The MKV will not get you that 'sledgehammer wall of rhythm tone', nor will the Recto give up that 'surgical precision of fluid and cutting sustain'.

They are both great amps, but both quite different.

Also, the 10W mode on the MKV is still quite loud, and really changes the feel of the amp vs 45W or 90W settings.

When I want my Tremoverb to be quiet I play it on spongy, vacuum tube, going into my 1x12 recto cabinet & it's IMO very good. The cleans are spectacular, and with a boost I can get all the dirt I need for practice at reasonable levels. Of course it sounds better loud but I'm happy with it.

I'm with the others. Don't get a Mark V because you think it'll do better at low volumes... get a Mark V because you really dig the way it sounds.

Thanks for the replies guys. In what I have heard, the Mark V sounds fantastic. I'm looking to go check one out. I really like the idea of the Mark V 25 / 35. Would the lower watt versions make bedroom volumes more achievable? Don't get me wrong, I live in a house so there are no neighbors sharing the walls. I just don't want to have to do ear blistering loud. I also like that there's a headphone jack. Also, can anyone comment on whether the fx loop doesn't suck tone like the one on the Tremoverb?

noiseordinance said:
Thanks for the replies guys. In what I have heard, the Mark V sounds fantastic. I'm looking to go check one out. I really like the idea of the Mark V 25 / 35. Would the lower watt versions make bedroom volumes more achievable? Don't get me wrong, I live in a house so there are no neighbors sharing the walls. I just don't want to have to do ear blistering loud. I also like that there's a headphone jack. Also, can anyone comment on whether the fx loop doesn't suck tone like the one on the Tremoverb?

IMO, it's best not to think of the 25w heads as lower volume 90w heads. They're both capable of being loud, and they're both capable of being quiet. The bigger difference is in tone and feel as a couple EL84s feel a lot different than four 6L6s. EL84s typically compress earlier and impart their own character on the breakup (they always seem to add a bit of hair, regardless of how hard they're being pushed). 6L6s are bigger and bolder with more punch and a clearer overall sound.

The other thing to consider is two channels vs three channels.

Last year I picked up a Rectoverb:25 combo and I absolutely love the thing. I got it because I wanted something that was easier to grab for a session than a 100w Recto and 2x12. I also thought it would be quieter than it is, but by the time you get it into it's sweet spot it's loud, although it doesn't have the big bottom end of the 100w amps... so more midrange oriented. What I really dig is the more old school vibe I get from the small power section and additional breakup off the EL84s. If you've ever backed off the gain on a 100w Recto and found the amp gets a little stiff and lifeless until you turn the gain back up, the Rectoverb:25 doesn't have that issue. But, it doesn't produce the clarity or the sledgehammer low end of the 100w version either.

I can't talk about the Mark V:25 specifically because I haven't tried one, but I used a Mark V for about 6 years before selling it last year. It was a great amp that I only sold after finally accepting that I'm more of a Recto guy.

The modern FX loops are much better than the loop on the older Rectos/TVerbs.

10w is half as loud as 100w, approximately. And considering 100w amps can be twice as loud as you need for most shows/practices... you'll see that doesn't mean it's that quiet.

That said, it is a bit quieter, which can help. But the combination of the channel master volume and the master output knob give you a ton of flexibility on the 90w, I can get it very quite with a tone that is still enjoyable to play, quieter than a number of other amps that just have one volume control. Should do fine with the 90 or either of the smaller siblings for bedroom levels.

Well the 90W is not actually 90W (it is based on the test standard but peak RMS values can get as high as 110W as I have seen with the attenuator input monitor, relative to my Roadster that stays steady at 100W, JP-2C will peak at 150W RMS on the monitor. Just an observation and accuracy of the meter is questionable. RA100 also stays steady at 100WRMS. Since it is not a calibrated test equipment my claim means little.

Mark V performs quite well at higher volume levels but also excels at lower volume levels I generally use 90W all the time, FX loop active so I can use the master control volume that works with all three channels. The Mark V is also quite flexible in terms of voice selections on each channel and is probably the most reactive Mesa amp I own that responds quite well to alternate tubes.

The Mark V is a beast through the 412 cab, and when you run two of them it is very rewarding.

FX loop on the V seems to run at consumer grade line level which can be a bit high for some pedals or rack units. Check your gear specifications and see if they list line level as maximum input. If your effect pedal can handle +8dBu you should be good (most Strymon pedals and I have no issues with those in the V)

Have you tried the serial loop mod for your tremoverb yet? That won't fix quite playing but it might improve the loop for you

Latest posts

Back