Was hoping for this forum to grow more....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test drove the TC-50 and it was not that I was not impressed. I'm a working musician and it would fit very well into what I do. It is a straight forward amp and sounded great. A very non temperamental workhorse. I am very much into straight forward at gigs. I have a Mark V, I really like it and it is my 90% go to amp for jobs. The TC-50 gave me the impression that it may run out of poop at bigger jobs, outdoor gigs etc. It may be lacking head room. Last year, the band I am in, we were testing out having two guitarists for a bit and at an outdoor gig the other guitarist brought a 40watt Budda and it couldn't cut it. We do not play very loud but outdoors you gota cover. The 40 watt Budda was fine up close but got lost out in the crowd.

The TC-50... I may pick one up at 50watts but I am waiting to see if a 100watt version is released. I would like the head room.

I've got an out door gig in the next few weeks so we will see (probably won't be using the clean channel for any of the songs though). I don't have any fear of running out of head room at this stage, though may need to get the amp up on a stand to help it project. During some testing today the output control ended up at 3:00 (channel master 2:00). Clean tone was not completely pristine, but I was surprised when I hit the strings harder that it was still very dynamic and not overly compressed. Volume level was very loud... My TC came with blue power tubes which are at the hot end and theoretically should hold on longer. I'll have to try a cooler set like yellow and see what the difference is.

The 6V6 tubes are noticeably less loud and seem compress harder than the EL34s. The tone is defnately sweeter.

Found this demo on the TC-50. Interesting.... :roll:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesaboogie+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&rvsmid=1CDBF7FDB116F139D3471CDBF7FDB116F139D347&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

Here is a dumb idea, but it is the thought that counts..... Since I could daisy chain two JP-2C amps thought the midi port and use only one footswitch to control both amps, how would this work if I were to say daisy chain the TC-50 and the JP-2C (using 60W).... looks like the same footswitch for both amps but will I get the FX loop to turn on and off if I am using the JP-2C footswitch to select the GEQ2, or if I were to use the TC-50 as the master what would happen if I hit the solo button or the FX loop? (would I only get ch1, ch2, ch2 and reverb control on the JP-2C?)....or are the commands mapped differently? I would love to have a switchable FX loop on the footswitch with the JP-2C but I can manage without it. Perhaps the question should be, could I use the footswitch for the TC-50 to control the JP or vise versa? I did not take out time to read the manual on the TC-50 yet but may do so to wet my appetite for this amp.

Here is an interesting question: for those who have the JP-2C and the TC-50....which one do you like better? (and to load the question)...and why?

My tax return was deposited much sooner than I had expected......I have this burning itch to take care of......Should I get it?

bandit2013 said:
Here is a dumb idea, but it is the thought that counts..... Since I could daisy chain two JP-2C amps thought the midi port and use only one footswitch to control both amps, how would this work if I were to say daisy chain the TC-50 and the JP-2C (using 60W).... looks like the same footswitch for both amps but will I get the FX loop to turn on and off if I am using the JP-2C footswitch to select the GEQ2, or if I were to use the TC-50 as the master what would happen if I hit the solo button or the FX loop? (would I only get ch1, ch2, ch2 and reverb control on the JP-2C?)....or are the commands mapped differently? I would love to have a switchable FX loop on the footswitch with the JP-2C but I can manage without it. Perhaps the question should be, could I use the footswitch for the TC-50 to control the JP or vise versa? I did not take out time to read the manual on the TC-50 yet but may do so to wet my appetite for this amp.

If you get a switcher like an Boss ES-8 you can set up the two amps as a stereo pair and have one or the other be the master at any time.

It is filthy, opulent, decadent awesomeness.

Power section of each controls how loud it is going to be. Takes some fiddling to get the levels of all six channels balanced across both amps.

Also: the JP-2C has the EQ after the fx loop return, so you're only going to get the EQ on the output of the JP2C. You may want to disable the EQ when the TC-50 is the master so that both amps are playing un-eq'd audio.

I have had one amp with the EQ and one amp without, for everything before, and it's not bad - it's just inconsistent.

The newer Marks work we'll with the dual amp/ES-8 setup because the eq gets applied before the fx send, so both amps end up with the same, shaped, tone.

bandit2013 said:
Here is an interesting question: for those who have the JP-2C and the TC-50....which one do you like better? (and to load the question)...and why?

My tax return was deposited much sooner than I had expected......I have this burning itch to take care of......Should I get it?

Uuuuuh. My JP-2C and I have been having a hot hot sexy times fling for about the last two weeks, so the TC-50's kind of been unplugged for awhile.

Please don't make me pick one, variety is nice.

That is good to know..... I figured out why I was having trouble with the JP and the 412 when trying to blend in a lead over the Roadster running though an EV loaded cab. Push the gain and readjust the 2200 and 6600 sliders along with a bump on the presence and it was liquid gold. If I need more saturation add the grid slammer or Flux drive to the front end and it gets saucy rich. I may just go with plan B and get the drum kit mics and mixer so I can get back to my recording sessions. Have been working on piecing together a project. Planning on blending in a 12 string acoustic as an intro in intermediary to break up the heavy parts. It is going to be complicated but may work. I will find out soon enough.

Still I find it hard not to get the TC-50 as the demos have me hooked. I was comparing the PRS Archon 100W to the TC-50 just to see what was out there in the same price range. Ch3 of the TC-50 sounds very similar to the Lead channel of the Archon in the demos on sweetwater. I would prefer the three channels of the TC-50 also has more features to offer. From what I have heard thus far, the clean channel on the TC-50 sounds better to me. CH2 is the ticket to classic rock tone that is missing on the JP-2C, but with a low gain setting on either CH2 or CH3 I can manage though as the ACDC and the Led Zeppelin sounds great with the JP-2C.

I guess you can understand my dilemma, still on the honeymoon with the JP-2C, have the Roadster and RA100 heads, RA100 combo and a Mark V combo to keep me satisfied. Perhaps I need to rethink my strategy. :|

I have yet to make my purchase of a TC-50, but do plan to do so in the next couple months. As an Electra Dyne owner, I think it would be quite interesting to set up a stereo rig with the Dyne and the TC-50. The Dyne is low-mid dominant, and, from what I hear so far, the TC-50 is upper-mid dominant. I think the blend of the 2 might just make me ruin my pants every way imaginable.

jnoel64 said:
I have yet to make my purchase of a TC-50, but do plan to do so in the next couple months. As an Electra Dyne owner, I think it would be quite interesting to set up a stereo rig with the Dyne and the TC-50. The Dyne is low-mid dominant, and, from what I hear so far, the TC-50 is upper-mid dominant. I think the blend of the 2 might just make me ruin my pants every way imaginable.

That sounds epic.

dlpasco said:
bandit2013 said:

Uuuuuh. My JP-2C and I have been having a hot hot sexy times fling for about the last two weeks, so the TC-50's kind of been unplugged for awhile.

Please don't make me pick one, variety is nice.

If you had to pick one, which one would it be?
I already have Roadster, two RA100, JP-2C, and Mark V. If the TC series came out with a 100W version, count me in as I would easily sell one of the RA100 to get it.

I am working on building up my studio, and my focus of attention is on drumming at the moment. I just ordered what is required to record with an 8 piece drum set (6 toms, bass and snare drum). Still have to get a mixer to combine it all. I have to look at it this way, I can use the same mics with my guitar rig(s) as well as bass rig. What is more encouraging, I can use a multiple of mics, attenuator, and cab clone blended together to get my guitar tracks which would take up less channels on my Tascam recorder using the mixer. Even better yet, I now have enough inputs available to record drums, two guitars and bass with room to spare on the board to add vocals for a live setting. I could have gone the DAW route and still have the ability to use a DAW for mixdown and mastering if I decide to do so but the Tascam recorder does a great job doing that. It has been a learning curve to get great results but so far it is fun to do. I did look into what would be required to use a DAW direct, the cost is way out of my ball park just to record a full drum kit alone. At least the mixer I selected can function as an interface to a computer if needed. For what I just spent on mics, cables, and a overhead stand I could have bought the TC-50 combo. Oh well, you only live once and why not take advantage of it. I will eventually get the TC-50 in a few months down the road and then call it quits for CGBS (could be referenced as Chronic Gear Buying Syndrome or Chronic Guitar Buying Syndrome but I have run out of GAS issues as other things have poisoned my soul than just the guitar). What I will not do.... Keyboard or synth but those are important instruments in the type of music I like to play but depends on what style of music my focus is at the moment. Life is good....

I powered up the Mark V today (has been a while). After close to 5 years of ownership I do not believe this is the amp for me. If it was anything like the JP-2C I would not be making that statement. Yesterday I was ripping some tunes though the RA100 Combo. I prefer amps that put a smile on my face and this is one of them. Actually the all do except one in particular. What the heck, why not.... time to jump on the TC-50 but will have to sell the Mark V first. At least it is all ready to go to a new owner. Sounds good but just does not get me where I want to be like the JP-2C or the other amps. Would I consider getting another JP-2C, yes.... How about another Rectifier amp (Road King II perhaps)... Before I go off the page and into the darkness, time to get the Triple crown 50W head and put the Mark V combo to bed. :|

Last word on the Mark V, simple fix (on tube) and I am overjoyed with the CH3 of the V.

TC-50, very impressive. I hope many do not have the first low down experience I had but all my fault really, to much JP-2C use..... I can hear some similar qualities between the two (not tone of course but qualities). Both are more forward on the attack but the JP has that wet mid iconic tone that is just (no real word seem to fit this statement... :shock: ). TC-50 is dry in its character but after a few hours (24+) I can hear the mids filling in more. Not sure if it is due to age of tubes. I have some old ones I could throw in that have at lest 200 hours of use (just a guess), same color code too. All I seem to have in that tube are Blue, Green, and Gray. No reds or yellows, white, never seen them. I did just find three reds here in the office, not sure where the 4th one is as I always kept matching sets. Must have been broken or toasted.

But Dry does sound really awesome. In your face attack more than the JP. Very articulate and responsive to subtle playing. Clean channel is dry in other terms as well and my rival the Mark V clean channel for bold bottom end response. I will get used to the reverb in due time. It is different and so is the tonal pallet of the amp. Time to get off my *** and play some more.

bandit2013 said:
Last word on the Mark V, simple fix (on tube) and I am overjoyed with the CH3 of the V.

TC-50, very impressive. I hope many do not have the first low down experience I had but all my fault really, to much JP-2C use..... I can hear some similar qualities between the two (not tone of course but qualities). Both are more forward on the attack but the JP has that wet mid iconic tone that is just (no real word seem to fit this statement... :shock: ). TC-50 is dry in its character but after a few hours (24+) I can hear the mids filling in more. Not sure if it is due to age of tubes. I have some old ones I could throw in that have at lest 200 hours of use (just a guess), same color code too. All I seem to have in that tube are Blue, Green, and Gray. No reds or yellows, white, never seen them. I did just find three reds here in the office, not sure where the 4th one is as I always kept matching sets. Must have been broken or toasted.

But Dry does sound really awesome. In your face attack more than the JP. Very articulate and responsive to subtle playing. Clean channel is dry in other terms as well and my rival the Mark V clean channel for bold bottom end response. I will get used to the reverb in due time. It is different and so is the tonal pallet of the amp. Time to get off my *** and play some more.

That is awesome. And I, too, need to play some more.

I've had the TC-50 for a few months and I've practiced with it with a couple different bands (one hard rock loud Ch1-3, the other cover of radio songs subdued, no Ch3). I've also played the Mark V with these same bands. If I had to boil it down to a word for each amp, I'd say the Mark sound is "mid-thick" and the TC-50 is "mid-thin". There is a characteristic in each amp that stays there throughout all channels. I'm not sure how to describe it, other than "thick" Mark and "thin" TC-50. I love both these amps and will keep them both. I generally use humbuckers, as a side note.

Regards,

Mace

If I had to describe the Mark V, I would also say it is mid-thin (CH3) or mid deficient regards to the same channel along with brittle top end (my experience with the amp since 2012 and I still have it). There is a fix for that (look for saturation mod in the Mark V forum) that will give CH3 a more JP-2C tonal quality and characteristic.

RA has about the same tonal pallet as the TC-50. TC-50 has more of a tight character to it with little or no sag at all. Comes off as dry to me but sounds great. RA has a bit more midrange with the lower to upper frequency (what ever is deemed to be midrange). Cabinet choice is the key as I found out. RA with stock tubes sounds pushing a OS Recto 412 has the same key character to the TC-50 pushing a Vert 212 (both cabs using V30). Perhaps there may be more gain on tap with the TC and it will retain most of its composure without getting soupy on the Hi channel. RA may have that tendency to get swamped or soupy, muddy what ever term fits the best (stock tubes). It is a world of difference once the RA is fitted with some other tubes and it becomes a beast with an attitude similar to the TC but different. If I wanted a more warmer tone from the RA (using stock tubes) the horizontal 212 did the trick as there is more pronounced bottom end with the 212 cabs vs the 412 for some reason.

Back