Mesa 4YB 4x12 Open Back Cabinet Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldenworm

Reaction score
Hey folks. First time posting. Just got an old 4YB 4x12 cab with the open back on the top half and the grill front. Was wondering if any of yall have sealed the backs to these cabs? Also, what was the purpose of the open back anyway?

I play mostly metal btw.

Here's some pics:

http://imgur.com/a/JI0Xc

The idea was to give an open sound to the C90s (top) and then have the super-stout EVM12Ls pump out low end in the sealed bottom half. I can verify they do this extremely well! There is no cab I've played that sounds better, especially at high volume. These were the factory cabs for the flagship Mark series of the '80s, so they are top shelf.

Looks like you don't have the original speakers, which is what tends to make these so expensive even now (due to the EVs). Which speakers do you have top and bottom?

Those are Eminence 50 watt speakers in the bottom half. they are factory stock in that cab. I would swap them out for EVM-12L's. There was an optional back panel that allowed the top half to be closed off. You do have the Celestion C-90's in there FWIW. I have one with all EVM speakers and the back closed off. Sounds awesome, but is VERY heavy to haul.

Back