The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the chance to hear my 1991 Mark IVa through a 4x12 finally. Holy balls, Batman! The cab is a Mills Afterburner with v30's and k-100's in an x pattern. I sold my last 4x12 10 years ago along with the Mark III blue stripe head. Figured with the band splitting there wasn't gonna be a need for the big equipment anymore.

The 4x12 adds a 3d quality to the Mesa's sound. You can really push the bass and low mids without getting muddy. I notice this on all channels, but I'm most impressed with what happens to the clean channel. You know that super deep yet clear thump you get on the neck pickup of a LP when playing in a heavy-handed, broken chords style? It really shines in that feel. The bass is chest punching yet full and warm with no breakup. Single notes jump right off the fretboard!

I can't remember much about the Mark III/Mesa Trad 4x12 v30 pair other than it sounded awesome and I got compliments on my tone a lot. I don't know if I would get the same sound out of a mesa cab or if it has more to do with the 4x12 vs the 1x12 I've been playing through. Either way, I am a happy camper right now!

Ashstrodamus said:
Qstick333 said:
I
WgmqhHU.jpg

That is a truly rare guitar; very limited production. I remember seeing it in the ~'91 Ibanez catalog, which I still have. 8)

JDH85 said:
Got the chance to hear my 1991 Mark IVa through a 4x12 finally. Holy balls, Batman! The cab is a Mills Afterburner with v30's and k-100's in an x pattern. I sold my last 4x12 10 years ago along with the Mark III blue stripe head. Figured with the band splitting there wasn't gonna be a need for the big equipment anymore.

The 4x12 adds a 3d quality to the Mesa's sound. You can really push the bass and low mids without getting muddy. I notice this on all channels, but I'm most impressed with what happens to the clean channel. You know that super deep yet clear thump you get on the neck pickup of a LP when playing in a heavy-handed, broken chords style? It really shines in that feel. The bass is chest punching yet full and warm with no breakup. Single notes jump right off the fretboard!

I can't remember much about the Mark III/Mesa Trad 4x12 v30 pair other than it sounded awesome and I got compliments on my tone a lot. I don't know if I would get the same sound out of a mesa cab or if it has more to do with the 4x12 vs the 1x12 I've been playing through. Either way, I am a happy camper right now!

Yes, it does make a BIG difference to play through a 4x12 cab! You should hear it with TWO Mark 4x12s with the original speakers that Mesa intended to be heard with that amp! :shock: :shock: :shock:

When they asked Conan the Barbarian "What is best in life?", you probably remember his answer.

My answer is feeling the thump in your chest for every single note on your high E string!! :twisted:

Good Lord it's been about 6 years since I last posted on this site! Crazy how time just disappears like water in the California sun. I just wanted to share that I finally ordered a Mark IV head and will have it sometime next week. I sold my DC-3 head in 2015, as it wasn't quite my sound on the lead channel. If I like the Mark IV enough, I might sell my Marshall DSL100. Trying to condense the rig to what I really need these days. I'll post pics of the Mark IV when it arrives. Looking forward to finally owning one of them!

Wow guys, all I had to do is turn this thing on and plug in, and it sounds amazing. However, it's going to take me a long time to figure out how to take advantage of every little option in this thing. It's one in the early B models. Whoever owned this before looks like they barely used it. It still has the black blue print thing and the QC sticker. I think I've finally found the head that can replace my Marshal DSL100. I like that the IV can run at 30 watts, which is better for me these days as mostly a studio and hobby player. I play guitars that run a little bit on the darker side in tone, but this amp is not muddy at all with either of my guitars. I am convinced I can achieve all the sounds I need with this amp. Glad I sold my DC-3 to get this one.

There is only one thing I'm a little worried about. When I turn up the Reverb knob on the back, the amp just gets a little louder and doesn't sound like reverb has been added. Makes me wonder what I'm doing wrong, or if this amp needs to be brought to an amp doctor.

IMG_20170719_192512_zpsfkhinyqq.jpg

A few months ago I swapped out my Mark IV for an H&K Grandmeister 40 as my main live amp. There's a ton of advantages in portability, presets, onboard FX etc but there is just no matching that Mark IV lead tone to my ears - period!

I keep my Mark IV in my den and I've been back to playing it a lot recently, I'd like to ask you guys about your CH2 settings (crunch/orange). Obviously the clean and lead channels are legendary on this amp but I've never been really impressed with CH2. What kind of settings/pedals do you use to get the most out of this channel? I've tried clean boosts and various overdrives with mediocre results.

Any feedback appreciated!

I don't use R1 as much as I used the Lead channel, but it does offer a really nice Plexi-ish sound to my ears. I will use it with the gain at 8 (pulled), treble 8, mid 5.5, bass 3, and presence 8. I use the graphic EQ to boost the bass, and gives it a nice, thick sound that can create a smooth distortion sound depending on my pick attack. I find the orange channel is good if you're looking for something in the ballpark of a late 70's, 80's David Gilmour sound (I'm thinking of the song Short and Sweet from his first solo album). Also, I find the orange channel can be used to play lead, which is something no one ever talks about. I find the Mark IV is so much easier to solo with than the Dual Rectifier solo head was. Instead of fighting the amp, I find the IV almost plays itself.

I will occasionally use an overdrive pedal as a boost, but it changes the sound of the channel a lot. I use a Boss SD-1 from Japan as my main overdrive, and I find I have to dial back the gain a bit on the channel if I use the overdrive pedal. I honestly don't do this a lot anymore because the Lead channel sounds so good without a boost.

Just got my MkIVB back from the guy I sold it to, and reminded myself why I love these. Great with the Thiele cab, and spectacular in combination with my MkIII black dot.

What I need is a MkIVA head: for me, it would be the perfect grab and go. Anyone got one for sale in UK/EU they don't mind shipping?

I just bought my second Mark IV three years after I sold my first. I found how to set this thing up after having just about every other MESA product come through my hands! It compliments my other Boogie amps and has it's own thing going on. Plus it is beautiful Bubinga and wicker. https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/40480904394/in/dateposted-public/

Aggressive metal settings. 6L6/EL34 Full power, simul-class, mid gain, pentode. EV speaker in the combo, C90 in the thiele. Crucial settings - R2 gain 10, LD 10 pull fat, LG 7, CH. masters - 8. Good head ripping tone.

This particular Mark IV-A is just outstanding, much different than my earlier Mark IV-B. It is one of those amps that goes to 11 on a scale of 1-10, if you know what I mean.

After many years of wanting one, I finally got my own Mark IV 8)

jfifQMs.jpg

This one is a Model A produced in 7/91, SN 2863.

Considering buying a Mark IV wide body combo. I noticed the power receptacle on the back looks like what you’d see in a wall outlet instead of the IEC plug you normally see on stuff with a removable power cable. Is that normal for some Mark IV’s?

Thanks for the reply. I actually just called MB a couple hours ago and was coming back to say they said basically whAt you said—it’s a courtesy outlet and the cable is hardwired. FWIW, This one is a Mark IVb and it’s serial is 008XXX.

I used my Mark IV at practice last night. Mark IV A/B by John Bazzano, on FlickrThis amp is unusually incredibly great sounding! Seriously off the charts great where everyone comments on the tone and inquires on "how do you get that tone?" The other two IV's I've owned were not as good as this one. It might be tubes but whatever it is this amp is going have to be moved into a ATA case for gigging often. It is in a combo with an ATA case so it's got to weigh 110+ pounds.
And I thought it would be my living room amp.

Markedman said:
I used my Mark IV at practice last night. Mark IV A/B by John Bazzano, on FlickrThis amp is unusually incredibly great sounding! Seriously off the charts great where everyone comments on the tone and inquires on "how do you get that tone?" The other two IV's I've owned were not as good as this one. It might be tubes but whatever it is this amp is going have to be moved into a ATA case for gigging often. It is in a combo with an ATA case so it's got to weigh 110+ pounds.
And I thought it would be my living room amp.

What speaker is in yours? I’m looking at a used one that has Black Shadows. I’m hearing those aren’t very good at all.

Electro-voice EVM12L. I'm trying out the amp today with a Fillmore 75 in a MESA 1X12 open back cabinet that is similar to the combo. If I use the Mark IV at places other than home, I won't port it around in the combo, I'll stick it in a ATA case or head shell.
Here is a video with EV combo, Fillmore 75 open back, & EV Thiele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUp1sMkkz-0

After spending GBP100 on an oil seal kit plus necessary machining, I still have the customary leak from the rear bearing area. I suspect the seal is not tight enough. The kit comes with a split carrier and a normal circular seal, which runs on the crank flange - enormous diameter of course After cleaning up the flange it was on bottom limit according to the blurb that came with the kit. It should have worked, but it didnt feel very snug to me. What experience do you guys have - either with or without the seal kit? I must say that previous engines without the kit have not been as bad as this one with it Total waste of money so far.

Latest posts

Back