Studio Preamp send out: Line or Low?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGD

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im the happy owner of two Mesa Studio Preamps.
I read a lot of times that its best to use the Send to connect it to the poweramp (instead of the output, Mike B said it for example).

What would be the best setting on the Line/Low switch in this case?

Im not technical at all, so I have no idea what it does (and no, Google couldn't enlight me, only very technical explanations)

Thanx!

Line gives more headroom, that is, you have to turn the volume up using "low" to match it therefore turning up the noise also. Try both but I used line when I had a studio-pre. I found the main and recording compensated outputs to be more compressed sounding compared to send out which sounded very open and full. When I first got mine, I used it with my 1972 Marshall Super Lead and then I used my Mark llB through the return but then I tried it in the front end and was wowed big time by that tone. I ended up using it with a Simul-class 295 and a BBE 822A sonic maximizer between them through a Road Ready Mesa 4X12 EV loaded stereo cabinet.

Thanks for the info, really appreciated.

I've noticed that at home, the low-setting kinda helps.
Because that allows me to turn up the amps themselves (pre & power) quitre a bit more, resulting ofcourse in better, deeper tone.
Without torturing my dear neighbours.

I can not damage my gear right, with the wrong line/low-choise?

Back