Was hoping for this forum to grow more....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Links.... this is what I found thus far.....

you probably have seen these.... I like the sweetwater video as Mitch reveals a bit more on the controls than the others. Fluff does a great job as well. The demo or reviews are dynamic and not static like most of the demos I have seen. Of course there are Mesa demos, and others.... I say yours as well.

Found on youtube: dynamic reviews (run though the channel features and adjustment of controls)

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D&FORM=VRDGAR

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=2E14126434BA29A906E82E14126434BA29A906E8&rvsmid=0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mesa+tc-50&&view=detail&mid=390AF845C58D38BB103C390AF845C58D38BB103C&rvsmid=0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D0BC962DF80E61ABDA33D&fsscr=0&FORM=VDFSRV

When I am considering a new amp, I would prefer a run down on the controls and how they react with the overall sound as it gives you more of a feel how the amp will fit your needs. Videos like that is what sold me on the JP-2C and the Roadster. As for the Mark V and RA100, I had a chance to play though them before buying. I did have a chance to play the TC-50 but at reduced volume. I was not ready to buy at that time but the experience was promising. I just could not find a guitar I was comfortable with when I tried it out and I did not travel with one of my electrics when I was on vacation (took the acoustic instead even though I was planning on trying out the TC-50).

Hi,

What exactly did this "tone sucking" sound like on the Mark V with the TC ElectronicFlashback? I have both and have not noticed this tone sucking. I have noticed that that there is a slight boost in volume (maybe 1-2 dB) when I engage the loop with the footswitch. This boost is there no matter where I set the "send level" knob on the back of the Mark V. The Flashback is in hard bypass mode (no buffer). Maybe I should try just a cable between send and receive on the Mark V to see if the volume boost is still there (just though of that). TC Electronic advised to set the Flashback dip switches to "fully buffered" to see if the slight boost is still there, but I haven't done that yet.

It would be interesting to hear any examples you have of your Mark V and the Flashback only in the loop, comparing the Flashback's sound with other amps you have.

I have a TC-50 combo on order, that's why I'm hanging out around here.

Later,

Mace

Mace,
The "tone sucking" as others have stated in the Mark V forums (90W version only) may have been a result of those using effects that they have acquired over the years, or may indeed be a new pedal that was design based on a set standard for instrument level signals. All of my rack mount gear that I had acquired over the past few decades is gone as I found it useless with the Mark V (at the time, this was the it amp for me).

Line6 DL4: I worked in the loop but compressed the original signal considerably. When the delay was turned on, it almost sounded like a 3dB drop in signal level. When it was switch to bypass sounded like a 3dB boost. Tone was muffled and repeats were muddy. Why I did not complain much is that it removed the ice pick on the top end. When I got into recording and attempting to use the delay on the clean channel, the same issue would result but distorted tone and muddy. Good sign you are clipping the input buffer. This could not be dialed out with the send level control on the back panel. Pedal sounded great with my other Mesa amps including the Mark IV. Now using it with the bass amp.

The TC Flashback (triple, has a crown on the faceplate) was not quite as dramatic in signal loss or compression but it was noticeable. However, what was bothersome was the crackle effect due to overloaded input. Repeats had random static in signal. Fizzy on the clean channel.

Both delays sounded great though all of my other amps (Roadster, RA100, JP-2C and even a Carvin V3MC). Ever since I have had this sour experience with the Mark V (amongst is other issues) makes one question other products that have been released afterwards by Mesa. What is the norm if the flagship Mark series amp is not compatible with standard guitar effects? I will ask the question but will take longer to respond as to the reason why.

FWIW, I have a Helix and an FX8. Both of those sound completely transparent in the Mark V and TC-50 loops. I've tested it as such, bypassing the loops completely.

IMO, the Mark V sounded best with the loop bypassed. Even with nothing plugged into the loop there was a slight alteration to the tone of the amp just having it in the audio path. It shouldn't be any real surprise since it adds circuitry to the path, and nothing is truly transparent. I found the effects loop tended to round the tone a bit whereas bypassed it was a little more raw, edgy and aggressive.

That said, I typically used the amp with the effects loop engaged since I liked a little delay at times and I felt it was well worth the compromise.

screamingdaisy said:
IMO, the Mark V sounded best with the loop bypassed. Even with nothing plugged into the loop there was a slight alteration to the tone of the amp just having it in the audio path. It shouldn't be any real surprise since it adds circuitry to the path, and nothing is truly transparent. I found the effects loop tended to round the tone a bit whereas bypassed it was a little more raw, edgy and aggressive.

That said, I typically used the amp with the effects loop engaged since I liked a little delay at times and I felt it was well worth the compromise.

This. Totally.

My TC50 head (replacing a MkV head) is apparently a month away from showing up here and it's driving me a little crazy :D

I will bend to my desires once again...... I will have to wait until I rebuild my "funding for more gear" account. Then again, I still have to do my taxes and may get a boost in my spending money. Trying to be conservative as my disposable income is not as much as I think it is...

I thought you only needed the blue pill if you have an ED. I have two Royal Atlantic amps....should I take the red pill instead? That being said, I see the TC-50 has a foot switchable FX loop :p where as the JP-2C does not... :cry: Sure I can control it with midi if I had a midi controller. So I am in on the TC-50, it is just a matter of when that will be. If it blows me away like the JP-2C I may end up with another blog.... sorry about that one in the JP-2C forum but I love that amp so much why not express what I feel about it. I need to learn how to post in less than 10 words. :shock:

I'm actually seriously thinking of checking out the TC-50. I'm curious I have a RKII and a MKV35 already, how would you guys compare the TC to these two amps? Just a different flavour I'm guessing?

Cheers

Paul

paulg2uk said:
I'm actually seriously thinking of checking out the TC-50. I'm curious I have a RKII and a MKV35 already, how would you guys compare the TC to these two amps? Just a different flavour I'm guessing?

Cheers

Paul

I'm not ignoring this - still trying to articulate an answer. If you can afford to have three amps for awhile I would suggest it. They aren't all the same, there's a lot of common ground, and they are all awesome. You may need to decide for yourself.

paulg2uk said:

Cheers

Paul
I have TA-15 I really like. But I asked myself "As much I like my TA-15 with two modes in one channel, three modes in the other channel independent, tone controls, no-frills, low-power to push the power tubes. BUT I wish it had a presence control like a Vox AC30, I wish either H1 or H2 mode was a "scoop" sound, don't need both modes and wish "scoop" mode had its own set of tone controls, so basically a three channel amp. And reverb" Maybe T-30 was to more liking with reverb,

...well guess what? Triple Crown was my answer to my dream amp. Yeah, 50 watts is more than 25 watts.

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I think I'm gonna go and try one and see for myself. That's the trouble isn't it? because its a Boogie you know its gonna sound awesome lol.

TC-50 is definitely different than the Mark V:35 or the RKII. Maybe it is more similar to the Mark V:35 but I have not played through one to compare. Very close to the RA100 but only better.... I just wish I let it rip when I tried one out but feared I would have to take it home with me......Perhaps in a few months I will have one.

bandit2013 said:
The TC Flashback (triple, has a crown on the faceplate) was not quite as dramatic in signal loss or compression but it was noticeable. However, what was bothersome was the crackle effect due to overloaded input. Repeats had random static in signal. Fizzy on the clean channel.

Not to hijack the thread, but maybe the Flashbacks are different. I've got the X4 and don't have a "tone suck" issue in the Mark V loop (late 2011 Mark V build). Anyway, I will certainly compare it with the TC-50 whenever it arrives! It seems they are hard to get ahold of! I hope Mesa isn't sacrificing quality to push out the TC-50s quickly.

Mace

No problem. All of my pedals work well with the other Mesa amps. Mark V is the only exception ( I doubt I would miss it if I sold it as I barely use it any more).

The TC-50 is really eating at me...... so when do I get it? Hopefully soon.

The Channel masters on the TC-50 also set the Efects send level according to the manual. So if you are overloading a pedals input you can reduce the send level.

I'm using a Flaschback with my TC and so far have not noticed any issues with the channel masters at 12:00. The TC loop certainly suffers less tone suck than the RA-100, which is still very good and only just perceivable to me if I look for it.

As far as effects are concerned, I no longer use those that gave me grief with the Mark V. Those of which I decided to keep I use with my bass rig (typically delays). Now that I have a nice complement of Strymon Effects (DIG delay, Brigadier delay, Ola Chorus, Big Sky reverb, and the OB.1 compressor) work with all of my amps and even my Tascam Recorder in its line level loops. I still have my Boss Terra Echo which never had a problem with the higher level of the Mark V and works equally well with everything else, all is good. The Line6 DL4 works best with the bass rig, I have lost interest in using the TC-flashback. And for amps that do not have a 5 band EQ I have the Mesa 5 band EQ (will not work with the Mark V as I tried it for S&G's). I generally do not use any effects when I am just playing or practicing but when I record and need separation between the Rhythm and Lead I pull the delays out. The Reverb pedal is also cool for an effect in the loop as it does more than just reverb.

Latest posts

Back