Playing a Mark III without using the EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with using my Mark III without any graphic eq at all and I've learned some things.

For a good clean/high gain setup, you can do the following:

1. Keep the bass low so that it doesn't mush up on the lead channel.
2. PULL DEEP to make up for the lower bass and the lack of the eq.
3. Keep the treble control low so the clean sound is actually clean. You can have the volume control pretty high but treble will make your clean tone dirty and pointy at anything above 5, in my experience.
4. Since you dialed down the treble, your high end is going to be diminished. Bring it back in with that insanely powerful Presence control on the back of you amp.
5. The lower treble is also going to impact your lead gain, so bring that back by cranking the lead drive up to taste (I've got mine set at 8 right now).

It is now obvious to me that the insane Presence control range and PULL DEEP are intended for when you're not using the eq. That's probably why most people keep the Presence at around 2 - the presence control and the 6600Hz slider aren't really intended to be used together. Probably the PULL DEEP switch should be off when you use the eq as well.

Anyway, some of this I got from GJgo's post, and BigBadWolf helped me figure out how to dial in a better clean by keeping the Treble control low.

I hope this is useful to other people, too.

I'm going to play with this some more. Without the eq, the bottom end isn't quite a tight, but the overall tone range is pretty rad.

I did the same thing for months with my C++ until my taste in tone changed. I used the GEQ as a lead boost. I loved the simple soft tone for the music I was playing at the time. After realizing how much better the tone is with the GEQ engaged for hard rock and metal, I started to use an MXR micro-amp in the loop for a lead boost instead. The GEQ is like a pair of reading glasses, it really clears tone up and is essential for removing throaty mid-range honk. To be sure, Metallica/Pantera/Testament scooped type tone can't be achieved without the GEQ.
Before I owned a Boogie, I tried to make other amps sound like a Boogie. Now, I make my Boogie sound like other amps! Go figure?

Markedman said:
I did the same thing for months with my C++ until my taste in tone changed. I used the GEQ as a lead boost. I loved the simple soft tone for the music I was playing at the time. After realizing how much better the tone is with the GEQ engaged for hard rock and metal, I started to use an MXR micro-amp in the loop for a lead boost instead. The GEQ is like a pair of reading glasses, it really clears tone up and is essential for removing throaty mid-range honk. To be sure, Metallica/Pantera/Testament scooped type tone can't be achieved without the GEQ.
Before I owned a Boogie, I tried to make other amps sound like a Boogie. Now, I make my Boogie sound like other amps! Go figure?

:)

I recording a short thingy today using the non-eq settings I was working with. I like where this is going and am probably going to keep messing with it for awhile https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/manchester

I habitually set the GEQ in the classic U shape for years, but the bulk of the time I gigged I just boosted the R2 channel most of the time for a more Marshall type gain with an MXR microamp.

After a change of band I revisited it all and started using the GEQ as an extea lead boost / shaper with a W shaped setting I would switch in with the footswitch to make the mids and upper mids sing and cut through much more than the scopped tone.

In many band settings the U scoop can be too thin and weak.

It's like there is a whole new amp once I broke the habit.

I don't have a Mark III (I have a Mark IV). But, like you, I don't always use the EQ section. And, like you do with the Mark III, I set the bass low (around 2 or 3), mids pretty high (8 or 9), and treble rather low (5 or 6). I make up for the treble with the presence control. Depending on circumstances, I will kick the NFB in or out.

The similarities between the III and IV (in this respect) are interesting.

bgh said:
I don't have a Mark III (I have a Mark IV). But, like you, I don't always use the EQ section. And, like you do with the Mark III, I set the bass low (around 2 or 3), mids pretty high (8 or 9), and treble rather low (5 or 6). I make up for the treble with the presence control. Depending on circumstances, I will kick the NFB in or out.

That's neat. What I like about running it without the eq is that, while I don't think I have it perfected yet, it has a wild, huge character to the lead tone that sounds amazing. Solo notes are gigantic, clear, and chewy.

dlpasco said:
bgh said:

That's neat. What I like about running it without the eq is that, while I don't think I have it perfected yet, it has a wild, huge character to the lead tone that sounds amazing. Solo notes are gigantic, clear, and chewy.

Yeah, exactly. The lead becomes very unique and distinctive in the mix, but w/o losing any of what the characteristics you want it to have.

Hey Daniel, go check out my latest response in that thread of mine you referenced. Good stuff. :)

I actually spent an hour tonight with my JP-2C running no GEQ. It was pretty cool, seeing what I could do with it when I ignore the GEQ.

No eq here... Just to prove that the mark III blue stripe is so freaking awesome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5mc3xHBCyE

dlpasco said:
Holy crap that was brutal. BRUTAL.
Thx a lot man! Check this one out. 2 tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBSf5TQpH6o&feature=youtu.be

Now this is a comparison R2 mark III no eq vs eq - master pulled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickyu1TnH3g&feature=youtu.be

Another example of no eq use here... Crunch mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76GQDxXCzgs&feature=youtu.be

I simply keep my MkIII on Auto for the GEQ and love it.

For many years I was terrified of the mighty Presence control, because it can quickly put you in GUILLOTINE territory when everything else is cranked! :shock:

But thanks to this forum, I learned more about how the controls interact, and how the Treble knob boosts overall gain. So I dialed it back until I got a very nice clean sound on R1 with the assistance of Presence, then tweaked for Lead and finally R2 (R2 knob on real panel). I rarely use boosts/EQ pedals with my Boogies, but sometimes I will to have some fun with R2.

To be 100% happy with R1, I have to run the MkIII in full power mode. I also like either no load tone controls or no tone control at all on my guitars, which helps.

Back