Mark IV vs. JP-2C Heavy Rhythm Comparison Video

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheocracyMatt

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the JP-2C section. :)

Now that I've had the JP-2C for awhile, I wanted to do a video comparing it to the Mark IV, so I threw together a few riffs for that purpose. I just dialed in each amp for the best heavy rhythm sound I could get for my taste, so it's not scientific, but I think it's a good real-world comparison for that type of tone in a studio environment.
I've owned six Mesa Mark series amps, so I have a lot of experience tweaking and recording them, but I just cannot dial that boxy-yet-hollow sound out of the JP-2C. Not sure if I got a lemon, if it's just the character of that amp (we did get some great lead tones with it on an album I recorded recently), or possibly a tube issue (I haven't swapped them out yet since it's brand new). By contrast, my Mark IV has never sounded better--it's an early A model (1992 or 93) and is the best-sounding of the three Mark IVs I've owned. I love its unique voicing, low-mid weight and absolutely vicious snarl. No pedals, just guitar straight into the amps. Everything besides the heads (guitar, cables, 4x12 cab, mics, signal chain) stayed identical for the sake of the comparison, and I included the full mix with each amp as well as the isolated guitars. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrPE-Oa6aw

Cheers,
Matt

Great video and great playing. Thanks for making it. Both amps sound fantastic. I think I'd actually have to pick out the JP-2C as the one I prefer in the context of the mix. It reminds me of my Studio Preamp.

By the way, those Edwards guitars are great aren't they? I used to have the black version of the one you're playing. I sold it to my brother-in-law when I got my Tokai, but I still miss it sometimes.

Great job! Nice tones and good playing! I love whipping out my headphones for a good comparison video. I was also looking at that guitar, lol. :lol: I got my first Edwards about a year ago and I was blown away. Its fit and finish was better than my PRS when it was new. And it played just as good. I'm thinking about getting another one. Best guitar for the money I have ever played. It's too bad they're not in the states.

Hey, thanks guys! I appreciate your taking the time to watch, and the comments and feedback. :)

Yup, I really like that Edwards LP. I'm not a good enough lead player to spend thousands chasing down the real deal, so for my needs it's perfect. Feels and sounds great!

JOEY B.: Pentode indeed, but I'm actually running EL34s in the outer sockets.

Cheers,
Matt

Thanks for posting this comparison. Timing couldn't be better for me as you can see here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=72491

Well done. And now my must-have-list just got longer by one amp. Darn.

I like them both. Always loved the tones from the Mark IV and you just provided more proof that it still is a great amp. The JP2C adds that mid range clarity that I love as well. Kinda get that from my Triaxis but I see the appeal here. I bet this thing can also by dialed in nicely for some leads.

TheocracyMatt said:
Glad you enjoyed! Perfect timing indeed. :)

I hope this doesn't come across as too spammy, but our label just released a lyric video from a song from our new album a couple hours ago, if you do want to hear the JP-2C on leads. Both lead breaks/solos in this track are the JP-2C:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUHiIEbIY7M

Thanks,
Matt

Love it. Just my cup of tea - great mix of classic metal with a modern twist if I may say so. Definitely will get that album and I know quite a few people who will be all over this.
Leads sound absolutely fantastic on that track. I take the rest is the Mark IV or something else.
If you don't mind I'd like to hear more about the production.

Yet another reminder that I have to really find time again to work on my own original music more to finally put something out there again. It's been too long.

Thanks so much! :)
Sure, happy to answer anything. The rhythm tracks were actually a Krankenstein (reputation aside, a great amp if you know how to dial it in; the size and hi-fi sound of a Dual Recto, but with a Marshally character to the distortion) and a Marshall JVM. We're releasing the first video from the album this week; I'll post it in this thread as well in case you want to hear more. Once again, JP-2C on all leads.

Cheers,
Matt

Sorry for reviving this old, dead thread; but, I just wanted to say that I dig what your band is doing! Your voice sounds similar Dennis DeYoung to me (I mean that in a very complimentary way, btw). It's refreshing to hear some great actual tuneful singing over these riffs. Kudos and best of luck to you all!

Sorry I just saw this, but thanks so much!

Matt

JDH85 said:
Sorry for reviving this old, dead thread; but, I just wanted to say that I dig what your band is doing! Your voice sounds similar Dennis DeYoung to me (I mean that in a very complimentary way, btw). It's refreshing to hear some great actual tuneful singing over these riffs. Kudos and best of luck to you all!

Great comparison. If you ever get a chance, can you compare again but with the presence pulled on both amps (in the vid I think presence was pushed on IV and pulled on JP)?

Latest posts

Back