R2 mod question (solved)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sixtiesvibe

Reaction score
Well, after reading a bunch of mod posts I am confused on what value to actually purchase for the Ryth 2 volume mod. The schematic says its a 150K, another post says its a 1.5K and when I measure the resistor that already in there its nowhere near that (looks like someone before me tried to do a mod and stacked another resistor in parallel) so I am just totally confused on what I really need to use.

So before I go and blow my amp up can anyone confirm what size pot is really needed to use in the R2 mod?

Thanks ahead of time.

I assume this is for a MK3.

I first put a 500k pot in mine (coaxial pot to also keep direct level control) but the sweet spot volume mix was very close to end of the turn with the 500k making it very sensitive and giving poor control.

I replaced it with a 250k (might actually be a 100k though I think but I'd have to open it) because this gave me a much better degree of control and sweep.

You can try a couple of values in minutes when the amp is open to see which works best.

LMAO! You must have known I had the amp open.

I had three different values of pots here and I was going to try a few when you replied. I put in a 250k ( I think it would be even better with a 100K but its working fine) and its working great. I have a feeling once I get it set I will not move it much but it is great to have a full control of all three channels.

Since I never will use the direct out I took that pot out and installed my R2 volume there. This way I had a nice Boogie knob to put on it and I must say this is great to have.....

Thank you very much ! :mrgreen:

I heard that if you call Mesa/Boogie at Petaluma, they will send you the schematics.

Well I have been playing the amp with the mod R2 now for a few days and I have it tuned in nicely!

It does seem to me that once I was able to turn R2 up a bit I find the tone of R2 is better than it was before, probably just more signal made it beef up some.

Since I replaced the direct out I had the knob to put on the new R2 volume pot so it looks right. I also will find a rubber plug for the open Dir out 1/4" hole so it will look better.

Thank you all very much for the help getting this sorted out, happy camper here and I now have full control of all three channels !

15977845_1899846023570254_3811364094119592108_n.jpg

:mrgreen:

Back