Still looking for ED alternative

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksms

Reaction score
I love my 1x12 wide body Electra Dyne and don't think I'll ever let it go. I use it on the Blue channel on a medium crunch (vol about 11 o'clock) almost exclusively. I love the fat Mesa take on the British sound.

However, I need an amp to haul around for rehearsals and such and the ED is just too big a beast. I am still looking for a lighter weight alternative. The closest I found was the crunch channel on an Express 5:50 plus. But, the Express still had the Mark topology and I just didn't get on with the EQ and there was a bit of harshness to the attack compared to the ED that I just could never dial out.

Anybody found anything close to the ED in a smaller package. Looking for a 1x12 combo around 50lbs or less...

Outside of Mesa's offerings, the ReVv Dynamis combo is similar but it does have it's own thing going on. If you replaced the stock speaker on one of these with c90 it is actually quite comparable.

Check out the budda superdrive II 1x12 the 30 watters are incredible light and very powerful. it's a poor mans Friedman.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also thinking about a TA-30 combo. Still a big amp, but I think about 20lbs lighter. Anybody compare the light crunch tones on a TA30 to an Electra Dyne?

My perception is it's got a bit of that upper-mid el84 emphasis, but is still reasonably fat on the right settings...?

The EL84 amps will not touch the Dyne's big lows. The RA100 can, but it is a beast. The TC50 is a quite good alternative, though not an exact match. The 11-knob Shiva also does a commendable Dyne, though without quite the big lows. Maybe the 6L6 version is better at it than the EL34 I had.

The Dyne is unique, for sure. Not getting rid of mine.

YellowJacket said:
Outside of Mesa's offerings, the ReVv Dynamis combo is similar but it does have it's own thing going on. If you replaced the stock speaker on one of these with c90 it is actually quite comparable.

That amp can do some very good ED type tones. Seems to have some great features too. Certainly worth checking out for someone looking at getting an ED.

Think I might check out the just-released Orange Rocker 15. While I like the sound of big-bottle amps, I have my ED for that. I need something portable and quieter, and the Rocker 15 looks like a great bedroom to practice amp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_1N0gwJm_Y

Other amps I'm still considering are Transatlantic 30, and Orange Rocker 30. Any input on those is appreciated also. Can't really go demo those anywhere since they're discontinued...

I'm in the same situation. Lugging my 2x12 ED around to rehearsals is getting harder (getting older!!)

I did consider a MkV 25 but is that a totally different tone? I've tweeked all my kit to match the fat 6L6 sound.

SD Custom Custom PU's to tame the bass a bit, a Mesa tone burst pedal to act as a bass cut when it's needed etc etc

I love the ED sound but occasionally I have to let the bass player have space to do his thing!! :lol:

The other option I'm seriously considering is taking the amp chassis out and having a head cab built for it and keeping the two V30's in the original cab and just blanking off the amp plate.

I bought the Rocker 15. For 30 lbs is as close as I figure possible to the ED blue channel. I keep the bass cranked all the way up and mid & treb around 11 o'clock. Gain around 11 o'clock and it's pretty close to the ED blue channel. Not as much air moving and less low push but it's got the same basic character, is less than half the weight, and can do quality sounds at lower volume.

I did plug it in through my ED combo cab and it can sound pretty close to the ED, at least the way I use it.

It's the least EL84 sounding EL84 amp I've heard in that it doesn't have the giveaway mid-emphasis and "chime". It can do a bit of that if you dial it right, but it's not as obvious as any other EL84 amp I've tried.

Sure wish Mesa would put the ED preamp on a 2 big bottle tube power amp that did 50/25/5 watt settings like the 5:50. The new Triple Crown just doesn't have the ED quality tone I love to my ear. I halfway wonder if I should try an Orange Rocker 30 and sell the ED and Rocker 15, but it's not as versatile as the ED and probably every bit as loud as the ED at 45 watts.

I think I've mentioned this already but you should try a ReVv Dynamis 7 - 40 head.

When I was playing a Dynamis, I A/B'd it with my Electra Dyne and the really are quite comparable.

Back