Electradyne - no Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbaron

Reaction score
First the good news, its all fixed now, under warranty, fast service from local warranty supplier in Sydney (Australia) - Had to call the official Rep in Canberra, who put me on to the local sydney person. Fixed in just a day.

in Future for anyone else who has this problem. It started with the Dyne just stopping in the middle of a Jam. We were pretty loud. Lights were still on, Tubes still lit, but no sound on any settings. Followed some tips, which said to plug directly into the return effects (bypass the pre-amp tubes), but that also did'nt work. So a warranty fix was needed. Strangely the manual has tips for every failure issue except this one.

It turns out to be a known problem. Some diodes feeding the power tubes, had heated up, melted the solder and fell out (apparently this is the driver feed, not the high-voltage feed (hence the tubes still light up). One of the benefits of a warranty dealer is they have access to boogie's notes and he is used to pulling them apart, testing and fixing them. He found a note which describes this exact problem. The Fix (recommended by Mesa), was to replace the Diodes with a plain Wire. The Diode used to lower the volts for the tube, and hence heated up (and melted the solder). The wire does not heat up, so not a future problem. No change to sound/tone that I can hear. All good and working now.

NOTE, blindly replacing the tubes would not have fixed the problem. Also, like other boogie amps, this model has no fuse on the output speaker terminals (HT I think its called).

I'll leave this here in case other people have the same issue.
- No Sound issue. If its not the preamp (plug into effects return, it it works it means one of the pre-amp tubes is broken), and the AMP was really hot when it happened (mine was), then likely this issue.
- Warranty call in Sydney (or anywhere else in Australia). Dont panic that the only service centre is in ACT! Call them, and they will arrange someone wherever you are.
- Transferable warranty: I had the original receipt, but in someone elses name. This was not a problem, unlike other vendors (e.g. Lenovo for laptops, they are not too picky).

Thanks Mesa, for the great service and Tone from this fantastic Amp

The exact same thing happened the other night. Read bigbarons' post and that was it. The diode was rattling around in the chassis and found the empty solder holes from whence it came. Gonna do the wire jump tonight.

Also, there are some hot spots on the PCB near these diodes...nothing loose or broken other than that one diode...just for ya'll's info that this could be potential problem when running amp full gain and master 4-5.

Thanks bigbaron, saved me a lot of time!!

Just curious if these issues were with a combo or a head? I could certainly understand if it was in a combo, since the chassis is inverted and more heat would work its way to the guts of the amp. I've read in this forum that there is a place to put a fan inside which should help with heat quite a bit. I've noticed my Dyne gets almost hot enough to cook with.

Yeah, my Dyne head generates a huge updraft of hot air out of the vent on top. IIRC, an old post showed that there is a 12V test point of the PC Board for driving a fan, and someone attached a fan to the vent and wired it to the PCB with good results.

I have been running my Dyne head at high volume via an attenuator for several years with no problems. But this design flaw is likely to show up eventually, I would guess.

Just wanted to add that if V5 is bad you'll get no sound by plugging into the input or the effect return because V5b handles the fx return.
Cheers!!!

Back