50 caliber + sound issues. (Please help!)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubesound

Reaction score
Hey guys. I literally got for free a Mesa 50 caliber 1x12 combo with the 6L6 power tubes. Unbelievably from the trash!! yes the trash. It looked very clean outside and in. The tubes appear to be Mesa Tubes, with the Mesa MC90 cone. The cone is torn, so I am running the rig out at 8 OHMs to a seperate cab.

Heres the thing. I turn it on, warms up, I can play it for about 20 minutes, then sound seems to "cut out" . If I switch the standby switch off and on, it solves the problem for a few minutes. However after searching on here for answers in posts, I found a partial answer? Someone said run a 1/4" cable thru the in an outs of the FX loop. I did that, and now it only cut out once..

So what gives here? I never owned a tube amp and I cant believe my lucky stars that I found a somewhat working Mesa in the trash. Do you think this is a tube issue? or electronic issue? IS this worth fixing? Who would I send it to for repair? Im located an hour north of New York City if that helps.

Thanks gentlemen for your wisdom!

PS, I left the amp on, with bass plugged in, volume on 5. So after about an hour of sitting, the cabinet started getting a low sounding bzzzzz. I tried playing the bass, but no sound now. I flipped the standby switch and its back working again. hope this helps

Carefully remove the tubes, and spray De-Oxit in the sockets, in the pots and sliders, in the jacks, and around the pcb board. Wait until it is dry before you replace the tubes.

Holy cow!!! It worked!! Woohooooool!!!!!! I did as told. Worked the spray into the send return jacks especially. All pots got sprayed inside and cleaned.
I put back together, fired her up and she was played for about three beautiful hours until I stopped.
I cannot believe someone actually threw this out! Thanks for the advice!!! Going to clean up all my small SS amps that have scratchy pots.

Latest posts

Back