Live recording - tweed this time

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnyboiler

Reaction score
First track neck single coil into tweed, second track bridge humbucker into crunch.

https://soundcloud.com/end-of-the-century/happy-i-predict-a-riot

waterboy said:
The amp, playing and your band sound great!

Thank you!

SamuelJ86 said:
Sounds great!

Are you using the GEQ for your crunch sound?

Thanks. Yes, classic Boogie V with the top two flattened off a bit. No EQ on the clean channel.

What are you using to record with. Detail please. I'm going to get a recording setup in the next few months. Software, hardware any assistance.

OldTelecasterMan said:
What are you using to record with. Detail please. I'm going to get a recording setup in the next few months. Software, hardware any assistance.

Hey man. Here is the signal chain:

Suhr Modern Pro
Boogie Mark V
MESA Rectifier 2x12"
Shure SM57 (close miked where the dustcap meets the cone)
Interface (MOTU 828 Mark II which is replaced by the III at least now)
iMac running Logic 9
Small amount of post EQ from Logic's built in EQ. Just enough to make the amp sound like it does in the room.
SSL emulation on the guitar channel strip. This is extremely non-critical, it just brings the guitar "forward" a tiny bit into the mix, like tweaking your presence control half a number, or using a good desk in the first place!

There is no compression or mad post EQ on the guitar. Literally everything I do is to make my V record the way it sounds when I'm standing in front of it. For me the SM57 is still my favourite mic for capturing the vibe and soul of a guitar amp (and I've tried some VERY expensive ones). I only need a little post EQ to tame the brash high midrange and open up the extreme highs a little. No more than 3dB in either direction is my rule of thumb, and keep EQ constructive rather than destructive, always referring back to the room sound. I like to try and get within 95% of my desired result with just mic technique.

My latest technique for bringing out low end and palm mutes is a little multi-band compression on the
80-120 Hz region. Around 3dB of compression here makes palm mutes sound fat and vibrant like they do in the room, without the need for a second mic or whatever. I stole this technique from Lasse Lammert who is amazing! I didn't use that technique here though.

I mixed all these live tracks myself in my home studio. I won't bore you with the details on the other instruments but there is a little limiting and brightening on the whole mix which may also affect how you perceive the guitars.

By the way this was all done live so there is loads of drumkit and vocal bleeding down the guitar mic!

Hope that helps.

Hi, hope you don't mind me butting in.

How do you find the MOTU? Just curious as I'd like to upgrade my simple home recording setup at some point in the future and have always looked at these on eBay. They have ADAT right? I already have the Behringer ADA 8000 that I use with current interface so would be perfect if I didn't need to replace that as well.

Thanks,

Wayno.

Wayno said:
Hi, hope you don't mind me butting in.

How do you find the MOTU? Just curious as I'd like to upgrade my simple home recording setup at some point in the future and have always looked at these on eBay. They have ADAT right? I already have the Behringer ADA 8000 that I use with current interface so would be perfect if I didn't need to replace that as well.

Thanks,

Wayno.

Not at all buddy! That's what forums are for, right?

TBH the MOTU is only the second interface I've ever had so I don't have much to say. They're very well made apart from the two input gain pots which have a well-earned reputation for getting scratchy. The inputs on the back are great, it's enough to record a full drumkit with a mic on everything if you want.

I will say, it was glitchy as hell with OS X Mavericks and OS X Yosemite. It would start making weird noises or go silent, then a reboot would fix it. They finally seem to have fixed the problems, and it runs great with OS Sierra. It was also great with everything prior to Mavericks.

All in all, if I was buying again, I'd be happy with the II or III.

Thanks for the reply.

Not to worried about scratchy pots, once the gain structure is set I rarely find I need to touch them. Only the occasional tweak if I find I'm clipping, usually only happens when the drummer gets pissed off when he can't nail his fills :)

I've only ever had a digi 001 which has been great to get started with, could get very temperamental though with my PC.

Definitely gonna keep an eye out for a bargain MOTU, they seem to come up quite regularly. Probably need to upgrade the PC too though.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back