Got one

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlpasco

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I got mine this afternoon from The Guitar Store. Thank you, Brian and James.

Z4f7+.png

Initial thoughts:

- This is not like my electradyne was: it's WAY brighter, but it can also get a lot heavier. Seems like a Mark III Blue Stripe and a Royal Atlantic had a drunken hookup. Keep the presence and treble under noon for most settings.

- Cleans are very good but not Mark V Clean mode/JP-2C cleans (at least with EL34s) Still PERFECTLY
FINE cleans, though.

- So far I've been able to get closer to the Electra Dyne Vintage Lo tone by kicking in the drive on the clean channel than I have using channel 2. I'm going to keep at this because the ED Vintage Lo was amazing.

- Blue channel with tight on and the gain dimed is pretty awesome.

- I spent a lot of time on channel 2 (Blue) running wet-dry-wet with some chorus. The We Will Rock You solo sounded better than on any rig I've ever played. No question. And it sounded ENORMOUS.

- Dial the gain back a little on the blue channel and kick in delay and you have a killer Kim Thayil sound.

- The red channel's gain at noon seems about equivalent to the blue channel with the gain turned all the way up. The blue channel felt a little better to me but that honestly could have been due to the blue channel volume being imperctibly higher or something.

- So far the red channel has been good for leads but I haven't gotten anything dialed in that I like better than a) My Mark V in IIC+ mode (fx loop disabled) b) My recto reborn in vintage mode c) my Electradyne in Vintage High. ...I've only had this a couple of hours, though

- This amp can reach the heavy stuff the Electra Dyne never could. But TO ME it doesn't feel too reminiscent of a recto or a mark. Feels like it's got its own thing going on.

- I fiddling around with some detuned metal stuff. Didn't find any combinations right off the bat that we're better than my Mark V but I also haven't spent a lot of time with it yet.

So far, this amp is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop, a cab clone and midi, this is the amp I'll be looking for for rehearsals and gigs.

This amp is a keeper. And I'm about to sell a second JP-2C on Craig's List.

-Daniel

Cool, sound interesting.

Not to derail the thread, but what does your wet dry wet setup consist of?

TC-50 through a rectifier 4x12, line out going to a strymon möbius and timeline.

The outputs of the timeline go to the fx returns of a Recto Reborn driving a rectifier 2x12 and my Mark V combo.

sounds awesome. Considering slowly replacing the recto and 2x12 with a couple of slant 1x12s and a 2:fifty power amp.

Do you know if the line out on the Tc50 is the same as the slave out on the jp 2c and mark v?

dlpasco said:
Update: I pulled a couple of 6L6s from my Mark III and dropped them in the TC-50. I think I like this a little better.

I am keenly interested in your assessment here :)

A couple of short clips:

Spacey Les Paul/Blue and Red channel stuff https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/triple-crown
Open G/telecaster stuff https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/keef

I'll try and get some more constructive stuff together tonight.

One more: I'm liking the rhythm on this. Lead is wet/dry/wet : https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/triple-crown-red-wetdrywet-rig

Red channel, tight, controls as follows:

YC95.png

Lef T said:
dlpasco said:
Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop

-Daniel

What is it you don,t like about the Mark V loop ?

With the fx loop enabled on my Mark V, my JP-2C has the best Mark lead tone I own. With the fx loop disabled the Mark V IIC+ mode wipes the floor with my JP-2C.

It also makes it effortless to get this sound in Mark IV mode/pentode: https://youtu.be/0XxPKrt5i-M.

Enabling the fx loop completely neuters it. It'd be okay for playing live, but not great.

Edit: while I'm at it, here's the Triple Crown vs the Mark V in IIC+ mode (fx bypassed) in the wet/dry/wet right I mentioned https://soundcloud.com/dlpasco/triple-crown-vs-mark-v

I like them both, but wow, the Mark V sounds pretty epic to me when it kicks in.

dlpasco said:
Enabling the fx loop completely neuters it. It'd be okay for playing live, but not great.

Thanks for replying.
I've always run my Mark V with a delay in the loop.
I'll try it with the loop bypassed and see how it sounds.

Lef T said:
dlpasco said:

Thanks for replying.
I've always run my Mark V with a delay in the loop.
I'll try it with the loop bypassed and see how it sounds.

Unfortunately it sounds a lot like a really great amp without any delay :/

That's the main reason I started looking at wet/dry options.

dlpasco said:
I got mine this afternoon from The Guitar Store. Thank you, Brian and James.

Z4f7+.png

Initial thoughts:

- This is not like my electradyne was: it's WAY brighter, but it can also get a lot heavier. Seems like a Mark III Blue Stripe and a Royal Atlantic had a drunken hookup. Keep the presence and treble under noon for most settings.

- Cleans are very good but not Mark V Clean mode/JP-2C cleans (at least with EL34s) Still PERFECTLY
FINE cleans, though.

- So far I've been able to get closer to the Electra Dyne Vintage Lo tone by kicking in the drive on the clean channel than I have using channel 2. I'm going to keep at this because the ED Vintage Lo was amazing.

- Blue channel with tight on and the gain dimed is pretty awesome.

- I spent a lot of time on channel 2 (Blue) running wet-dry-wet with some chorus. The We Will Rock You solo sounded better than on any rig I've ever played. No question. And it sounded ENORMOUS.

- Dial the gain back a little on the blue channel and kick in delay and you have a killer Kim Thayil sound.

- The red channel's gain at noon seems about equivalent to the blue channel with the gain turned all the way up. The blue channel felt a little better to me but that honestly could have been due to the blue channel volume being imperctibly higher or something.

- So far the red channel has been good for leads but I haven't gotten anything dialed in that I like better than a) My Mark V in IIC+ mode (fx loop disabled) b) My recto reborn in vintage mode c) my Electradyne in Vintage High. ...I've only had this a couple of hours, though

- This amp can reach the heavy stuff the Electra Dyne never could. But TO ME it doesn't feel too reminiscent of a recto or a mark. Feels like it's got its own thing going on.

- I fiddling around with some detuned metal stuff. Didn't find any combinations right off the bat that we're better than my Mark V but I also haven't spent a lot of time with it yet.

So far, this amp is pretty much everything I hoped it would be. Until they make a Mark V with a decent fx loop, a cab clone and midi, this is the amp I'll be looking for for rehearsals and gigs.

This amp is a keeper. And I'm about to sell a second JP-2C on Craig's List.

-Daniel

I agree. I am an ED owner and was hoping that the TC-50's Lo Gain channel would more like the ED's blue channel, but as you mentioned it didn't really hit the mark. (not thats what they were going for)..

I could not dial the fizzle out of the TC's low gain channel. The tight switch helped but then it added a tightness I didn't want. Great amp but I need to go back to the store and fiddle around some more.

The Guitar Store ROCKS!! BTW

There's definitely a grainy character to Lo that reminds me of my Mark III when I am running mixed EL34s and 6L6s instead a 6L6 quad.

The manual noted that there's more warmth to be had at lower presence and treble levels, so I turned those all the down and slowly raised them back up again until I had a tone I liked (they were actually pretty close to noon again by the time I finished). I also had Tight OFF for this particular exercise (chasing Electradyne tone).

You might want to try the same thing at The Guitar Store and see if that makes much of a difference for you. And yes, THE GUITAR STORE RULES BRIAN AND JAMES ARE ***AWESOME***.

Demos sound good man! Thinking of picking one of these up too

Back