Who is Still Gigging Their Vintage Mark Series Amps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b00g13mk2B

Reaction score
Playing an outdoor gig tonight and will use my MKIIA. Replaced caps a few years ago, seems to still be going strong.

I use my 77' Mark I head for everything... Pedal Steel w/1x15" cab loaded with a JBL K130, Electric Guitar w/2x12" loaded with JBL K120's... I had to sub last week for a Bass player. I brought the Mark I to the gig and ran it through a Sunn 2x15". It's really is an all-purpose amp. I almost couldn't exist without it....

;)

The hot summer gigs were taking a toll on my MkIII and decided to park it for the regular gigs. For special events, it's still the beast of choice. 8)

I worried about the outdoor heat a little, but recapped a few years ago. The 60 watts is a bit too much for most indoor gigs I play, so outside was great.

My Mk IIB 60w is on an umbilical cord to any gig I do..
For more power and sl more aggresive tone the Mk III head is it.
For cleans, I've never ever ever (umm.. bit excited ..) had anything like my 80's Kitty Hawk M1 head.
I know they weren't always loved - mine must be a freak. Goes hard and headroom up the wazoo..
Dave

I did not used it much these times, but things are changing as my band enters into an Afro-Cuban set for this year :

My Boogie MKIIA dressed in Tolex suit with most of my guitars :

891323P1000276.jpg

My Boogie MKIIA dressed in Hardwood suit with my Gibson ES335-TD :

653715IMG0342rec.jpg

What Ettore Bugatti said about cars "le poids, c'est l'ennemi" (the weight is the enemy) can be applied to my MKIIA, and it's only for practical / logistical reasons that I used a Fender Mustang III these times (what a pity :roll: , I agree...).

A+!

mark2boogie said:
I did not used it much these times, but things are changing as my band enters into an Afro-Cuban set for this year :

891323P1000276.jpg

653715IMG0342rec.jpg

What Ettore Bugatti said about cars "le poids, c'est l'ennemi" (the weight is the enemy) can be applied to my MKIIA, and it's only for practical / logistical reasons that I used a Fender Mustang III these times (what a pity :roll: , I agree...).

A+!

Very nice! I love seeing other lefty gear.

Absolutely! All gigs, rehearsals and recordings are with the trusty Mark IV. Did a full retube this year.

All the way with my Green stripe Mark III.
It has some special magic going on. I use a Barber 1/2 Gainer for boost & solo stuff.
The 1/2 gainer doesn't change the overall tone like a Tube Screamer.
I could use R2 and the Lead channel, but the Lead channel is the greatest sounding thing on earth.
I use my Mark III as a one channel monster..

My Mark III's changed everything for the better.. No idea how the Mark series amps aren't more loved..

tony777 said:
Yes, I always gig with one of my IIC+'s, They can't be beaten. :lol:
C+ for me , I run 2 with an amp switcher , usually an HRG and a DRG . This allows me to set one up for a rhythm sound and the other for lead. I bought my JP2C to replace this set up but sold it and gravitated back to the dual llC+ set up, just feels more like home to me. Not to take anything away from the JP, it's a fine amp in its own right .I've been experimenting with a C+ and a Heartbreaker with a switcher but I'm healing up from knee replacement surgeries so won't have a chance to try it out live until the end of the month.

Update - Heartbreaker is underrated imho . But I resorted back to the original trusty 2 C+ with the amp switcher. Nothing compares to the "3 D" tone , responsiveness of a C+ . Nothing that I've run across , I'm using an MS- 12 in an open back cab and a Thiele with an original EVM 12L on the bottom. Best sounding speakers for a.C+ . Again just my opinion.

I have my MarkIIa for a year now, and it is not going anywhere. I carry that 100w top every week to practice and back home, still cannot stand to part with it. We played our first gig in a long time with it and it worked out great, I play guitar and synth through it. Last month i borrowed it out for a small festival and mixed 4 bands playing through it in various styles, I just love that amp! I bought 2 EV12L for it and one of them is really plenty for me.

Next electric gig is in January. Small place but may bring out the MKIIA anyway! Have a C-lator to manage volume through the preamp out/in, may have to crank it a bit the last set. "Only" the 60W model.

My first post here so hello to all on this great forum! I still actively gig my MARK iii and use it for band rehearsals (even though I have a Mark V) It gets used around 3 times a week at band volume and 5 times for bedroom practice. Amp has never given me issues. I am sending it to Mike B for thee III+ mod this week!!! Cant wait to hear it when I get it back.

mark2boogie said:

891323P1000276.jpg

653715IMG0342rec.jpg

A+!

Hi,

What kind of footswitch is that? I see "boost" sign on it. Ho do you get your signal boosted with footswitch?

I rehearse with my IIC and previously my 90 Mark I ri twice a week and play shows with em.

I used to gig 60's fender amps so the Boogies seem new :)

What kind of footswitch is that? I see "boost" sign on it. Ho do you get your signal boosted with footswitch?

Sorry to answer so lately...

The Boogie MKI, MKIIA and MKIIB amps offers a booster facility built inside the amp, accessible via a jack under chassis and (on the MKIIA and B at least) a "pull boost" switch on the Master1 pot. With some modification, this boost function can be footswitchable (open contact = boost ON) : that's what I have done here in my DIY FSW.

A+!

Back