mesa boogie 20/20 -> annoying fan noise :(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In case anyone is interested or needing this info in the future, this is the model I ended up getting, which I don't expect to be appreciably less noisy:

http://www.newark.com/sunon/mb40200v2-0000-a99/dc-fan-axial-40mm-x-40mm-x-20mm/dp/79R6518

It has vapo bearings, which might be a bit quieter, we'll see. The existing fan, mentioned above seems to have noise ratings around 29dba and this one is 21dba. I could have gone for the slightly slower one, which uses a slightly slower RPM and has 18dba noise level, which would be quite good, but it also moves a bit less air, so I decided I'd rather have the air. This model I got actually appears to move a bit more air then the original mentioned above, per the specs. But probably the 18dba one would work just fine too.

The Sunon Model number is: MB40200V2-0000-A99

haven't had a chance to install it yet. I will try to update this thread when I get it done.

Was playing a gig in Guam and could hear the fan during the clean parts of Empty Rooms...insanely annoying!

Newcastlebrown said:
Was the new fan any quieter ???

Just wondering

I finally got around to installing this fan(see earlier post). It was not quieter. Also, there is buzzing noise coming from the speaker now, so I am ordering a replacement part from Mesa to try that, since the one in my 20/20 has an intermittant problem where it gets REALLY loud, like something rubbing. The one I got was 5v also, I don't know why noise is coming out of the speaker now, but hopefully with a real part from Mesa that won't happen. I do notice the original fan in the unit was .6w and the replacement I mentioned above is 1watt. I don't know if that matters or not, but there is clearly noise in the audio signal now.

One thing I notice is that these fans are dead quiet when not attached to the chassis. I think the loud sound is a combination of whoosing air through the tight space yes, but actually I think the bigger factor is the vibrations are some how transmitted to the chassis and its quite loud.

I might try to try to find some rubber screws and washers to try to mount it next, that won't be easy to find, but that is what I will try next.

Got the stock fan from mesa. It was really not any quieter, but at least not broken like the last one.

However, I did manage to make the 20/20 fan substantially quieter by using velcro to fasten it inside the 20/20 instead of the screws. its quite secure and monumentally quieter. Its not dead silent, but way ok now. I highly reccomend this approach for anyone in the future wanting to quiet this beast down.

Hopefully pictures attached of my modified Mesa 20/20 with Becos deep mod and 2 x silent fans fitted.

wbyq8k.jpg

2d9xlh.jpg

5wz4nl.jpg

23t1nxx.jpg

sg3328.jpg

havent been here in a long time, glad to see someone picked up on my 8x8 fan solution and pushed it a little further, great job newcastlebrown! :!:

as a long term test i gotta say: still very happy with my 9V single 8x8cm fan solution, its been like that since 5 years now, unit is still healthy :)

hehe, 7500 view during the years ... soon going into 2017 and my 20:20 is still going strong, still inaudible fan noise - best poweramp I ever had after the deep and fan mod!

Hi whitepony,

New 20/20 owner here ;)

Good to know you are still around these parts. I think have to do something about that fan noise myself at some point in the near future.
Problem is I'm not that much of an electronics expert (although I'm also not completely useless as a DYI guy and generally a fairly technical person) - so I'm worried about getting myself into too complex solutions.

I think I'll start by trying out the velcro approach mentioned by Dewdman42 and see how that goes. If that isn't enough I guess I'll have to look into installing a larger fan like you and Newcastlebrown have done.

Cheers,
Kasper

Hello, I have another question. As I have noticed, the fotos attached are from european voltage version. There is power section on the PCB right above the 561020 transformer (foto No 6). Is there any possibility to make a detailed foto of this section so that I can read the description on the components? I mean a big blue round varistor, and 3 capacitors around it.

Latest posts

Back