New ElectraDyne released by Mesa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbaron

Reaction score
Well its pretty close. Its clean and low gain ch sound very familiar. 3 Sep channels, individual controls, Solo, Midi, Sep Reverb, Cabclone. Sep Bias. Only thing its missing is switchable power.

Mesa Triple Crown TC-50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLEZzQKsvPQ&feature=youtu.be

Awsome. Looks more like an RA2 to me than an ED2 though. I'll definitely be checking one out and would love to upgrade my Express 5:25 combo. The new TC seems to have all I want, crunch and clean on separate channels, solo boost 50 watts and great rock through to modern tones.

I still have my ED, but as I always found the bass difficult to control in the gain modes it rarely gets used. The TC looks like it will be pretty tight in the bass and also adds the tight mode for the gain channels too.

The RA has been my man amp for many years now and has been fantastic. The only things that I sometimes wished it had were separate tone controls for the vintage gain channels and a presence control to help tame the top.

A 1x12 combo that hopefully isn't to heavy that I can use for rehearsal and gigs would be great.

The Dyne, to me, is much darker than the TC-50. Nothing at all like the Dyne in the demo to my ears. But, it does look like a very interesting amp!

I think you could look at the TC50 as a new Royal Atlantic or as a new Express 50. I really don't see it as an Electradyne.

I do think that the 6V6 option is really cool. I had asked for a lunchbox Dyne/RA with 6V6 a while back. This isn't a lunchbox, but it is intriguing.

The 6V6 tube option is exactly why I'll be pulling the trigger on one of these. Then I will have that awful decision to make about which amp to take to a gig. Unfortunately for my Dyne, the TC-50 may win more times than the Dyne just because of the weight on the TC-50. Unless I can get a roadie that is willing to work for free....

JJ, when I first got my Electra Dyne I too struggled with the amp having too much bass. However I have since found settings that work. If your middle control is set below 12:00 then a lot of the upper mids get cut, and allowing more bass to pass through. Also, setting the treble control above 12:00 will reduce bass as well. The higher the gain, the more the bass can bloat.

My settings:
Volume (gain) 2:00
Bass 8:30 - 9:00
Middle 1:30
Treble 1:30
Master - Low enough to play in an apartment most of the time

These settings work very well with no bloated bass.
Electra Dyne 1x12 combo with the C90

Hollis said:
JJ, when I first got my Electra Dyne I too struggled with the amp having too much bass. However I have since found settings that work. If your middle control is set below 12:00 then a lot of the upper mids get cut, and allowing more bass to pass through. Also, setting the treble control above 12:00 will reduce bass as well. The higher the gain, the more the bass can bloat.

My settings:
Volume (gain) 2:00
Bass 8:30 - 9:00
Middle 1:30
Treble 1:30
Master - Low enough to play in an apartment most of the time

These settings work very well with no bloated bass.
Electra Dyne 1x12 combo with the C90

Thanks for that, good advice.

My settings are pretty similar to yours, but I probably have the mids lower. I'll try it with extra mid. I seem to remember wth the bass set low something gets lost in the mids as well.

Is yours the wide or compact combo?

Mine is the widebody, 27" combo with the stock Mesa C90 speaker. I also have a Recto 2x12 cab with English made Marshall V30's and it has a bit more forward upper mids. I honestly prefer the stock C90.

Hollis said:
Mine is the widebody, 27" combo with the stock Mesa C90 speaker. I also have a Recto 2x12 cab with English made Marshall V30's and it has a bit more forward upper mids. I honestly prefer the stock C90.

I agree. The ED sounds better with a C90. I also have a Boger 2x12 loaded with a greenback and a creamback.. Sounds pretty good with that too. The ED sounds good with single coils as well.

Latest posts

Back