Best speaker with a recto, other than v30's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chiliphil1

Reaction score
I am looking to try out some other speakers with my ToV. Currently running a Marshall 4x12 with 2 G12T75's and 2 Mesa V30's. It sounds nice but does have a slight harshness to the top end and a little less bass than I was hoping for.

I was looking into a couple of things, Eminence has a copy of the EVM12L called the "EM12" and also a hemp coned version of it. I was thinking of those. Possibly the Celestion G12K100, and finally the EVM12L black label.

The black label's of course are stupid expensive vs the others, so they're sort of the last on my list.

Does anyone have experience with these speakers with a recto? I'd like to hear any input you guys may have, thank you.

Edit: meant to say, I do not like v30's always sound too scratchy and fizzy to me.

The best speakers I have tried with my Trem-O-Verb is a pair of EV12L.
Massive bottom end, clear musical midrange and a top end that stays out of the fizz zone but still sound full and clear.

3124+ said:
A broken in V30 is magical.

The pair I'm using are almost 25 years old. I think it's just a preference thing really. They always have a harsh tone to me, sort of scratchy sounding.

Fleflo said:
The best speakers I have tried with my Trem-O-Verb is a pair of EV12L.
Massive bottom end, clear musical midrange and a top end that stays out of the fizz zone but still sound full and clear.

Thank you for the input! I've been reading a lot about these lately but it's hard to find much info. Most of the people who have actually used them (it seems) play clean more than anything, not many people seem to play distorted, especially a recto. I know Zakk has a killer tone with these speakers, that's really what has me looking at them.

Thanks again, that gives me some encouragement when looking at those price tags :shock:

I prefer C90s for clarity and richness on clean sounds and Cream Back 75W otherwise. I have the V30 but I really dont love them with Boogies. They seem to sound better with my Marshall. But as someone said its preference and super subjective.

Chiliphil1 said:
I am looking to try out some other speakers with my ToV. Currently running a Marshall 4x12 with 2 G12T75's and 2 Mesa V30's. It sounds nice but does have a slight harshness to the top end and a little less bass than I was hoping for.

I was looking into a couple of things, Eminence has a copy of the EVM12L called the "EM12" and also a hemp coned version of it. I was thinking of those. Possibly the Celestion G12K100, and finally the EVM12L black label.

The black label's of course are stupid expensive vs the others, so they're sort of the last on my list.

Does anyone have experience with these speakers with a recto? I'd like to hear any input you guys may have, thank you.

Edit: meant to say, I do not like v30's always sound too scratchy and fizzy to me.

Have you tried the Rectifier series cabs yet?

KH Guitar Freak said:
Chiliphil1 said:

I have not yet. I've got access to one just need to lug the amp over to it. Hearing that cab in the past, it always sounded dark me. The Marshall is slightly bright. My thinking is if I could get something in the middle I would be very happy. Thinking maybe darker speakers in the Marshall, or maybe brighter ones in a Mesa??

Too many options!

I love Greenbacks but I'm using 65w Creambacks for the sake of safety with my Road King.

silentbob said:
I love Greenbacks but I'm using 65w Creambacks for the sake of safety with my Road King.

Nice, never really thought of a vintage voiced speakers.. How does that handle the modern mode?

I have a quad of G12H75 Creambacks in my old OS Recto cab that I use with my Roadster. Speakers sound great in all channels. Volume level is a bit softer than a V30. Tone is a bit different too. I have also used EVM12L Black Label speakers in the same cab (what was in there before the change to the creambacks). I think I have the same feelings on the V30 as you do. I never really like them. That was until I got a new OS Recto cab. The 16 year old speakers are just too bright and do not sound good at all. The new ones are amazing (yes they are broken in by now). What sold me on the Creambacks for use with the Roadster is that I had two installed in my RA100 combo. Channeled the Roadster though it and really liked them. They are a bit different in a sealed cab vs open. I will be tying them in a traditional sized cab soon or later as my old Recto 412 is lacing the resonance due to repair and extra bracing on the top baffle as it was making considerable noise.

So far the best combination I have yet to hear was MC90 and V30. I tried this with a horizontal 212 and Mark V combo. Note that I could not stand the Mark V through the V30 speaker but this combination sounded incredible (note at 4 ohms there is a tonal shift with the amp when driving two 8 ohm loads in parallel). The key to that success is the MC90 is open and the V30 sealed. Makes me want to get the Road King 412 cab as that is the concept there. Makes sense to me. I have not run the Roadster this way yet, may do it just to get an idea how that would sound.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these yet... Celestion G12k-100 speakers

I have a Mesa 2x12 that I had this company called Audio Electronics in Dallas, TX rewire for me with the G12k-100's in 8 ohms.

It sounds absolutley killer.

drgordonfreeman said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned these yet... Celestion G12k-100 speakers

I have a Mesa 2x12 that I had this company called Audio Electronics in Dallas, TX rewire for me with the G12k-100's in 8 ohms.

It sounds absolutley killer.

Those are definately in my consideration. I had a set in a 2x12 which I used with a Hughes and Kettner amp. They were incredible and MILES ahead of v30's IMO.

The problem with them is that I'm running a 4x12 and I would have to buy a quad of them because they're only available in 8ohm. I have the same problem with the EH speakers. I need something in 16ohm which I can replace either 1 or 2 at a time. That's really what's kept me from going with the K100's at this point.

Chiliphil1 said:
KH Guitar Freak said:
Chiliphil1 said:

I have not yet. I've got access to one just need to lug the amp over to it. Hearing that cab in the past, it always sounded dark me. The Marshall is slightly bright. My thinking is if I could get something in the middle I would be very happy. Thinking maybe darker speakers in the Marshall, or maybe brighter ones in a Mesa??

Too many options!

Try that cab first. You might like it. If not, you might also want to consider a different brand of cab, not just contemplating trying a different set of speakers

Also, another trick you might like is to mix different speakers together. I for one so far don't like that setup, but it might also work for you

KH Guitar Freak said:
Try that cab first. You might like it. If not, you might also want to consider a different brand of cab, not just contemplating trying a different set of speakers

Also, another trick you might like is to mix different speakers together. I for one so far don't like that setup, but it might also work for you

Yeah, I've still yet to be able to do this. Currently I'm running the Marshall 1960 with 2 stock G12T75's and 2 Mesa V30's. It sounds really good but I always feel like I'm missing a little thump...

I'm sort of on hiatus from this at the moment though, funds are tight right now. I've posted my Marshall on craigslist and it's been on there for a couple of months. If it ever moves (sells or trade for Mesa cab) then I'll be good but for now I'm just going to have stick where I am. It does pretty good though, I'm not altogether disappointed.

I ditched V30s from Roadster 2x12 combo and went for G12K-100s.
Couldn't be happier. Beautiful open clean tones and lethal recto crunch.
Very well balanced speakers with huge and tight low end.

To be honest I had long and exhausting fight with Roadster before I got it where I wanted it.
Lot of tube rolling to get all four channels to flourish and then making it work with G-System.
And finally proper speakers

I usually use my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 cab with my Triple Rectifier head.

I have also used a Marshall 1060A 4x12 cab and that sounded different (more middle biased but still punchy in the bottom end). I prefer V30s with the Rectifier but some people swear by the Marshall 1960A or B cabs, and they do sound good.

The EVM speakers are supposed to sound HUGE but I have not yet had a chance to try them out.

Some Mesa cabs mix both (V30 and C90) such as the RoadKing 2x12, which I played through once. It is half open backed and it did sound different again and very good, possibly more articulate? Best of both worlds maybe.

I just seem very attached to V30's lol.

There is a useful comparison video on YouTube demonstrating the sound of the various Celestion speakers.

jonnyf said:
I usually use my Horizontal Rectifier 2x12 cab with my Triple Rectifier head.

I have also used a Marshall 1060A 4x12 cab and that sounded different (more middle biased but still punchy in the bottom end). I prefer V30s with the Rectifier but some people swear by the Marshall 1960A or B cabs, and they do sound good.

The EVM speakers are supposed to sound HUGE but I have not yet had a chance to try them out.

Some Mesa cabs mix both (V30 and C90) such as the RoadKing 2x12, which I played through once. It is half open backed and it did sound different again and very good, possibly more articulate? Best of both worlds maybe.

I just seem very attached to V30's lol.

There is a useful comparison video on YouTube demonstrating the sound of the various Celestion speakers.

The EV speakers are actually more flat in its EQ and perhaps give the player the sense of more headroom compared to the V30s

I, too, love those V30s. Doesn't really matter what cab as well, but I really dig the Mesa cabs

As for the Marshall cabs, they are ok. Once you played through the handwired cabs, you'll hear the difference

The reissue Greenbacks sound absolutely musical working with a Dual Rectifier. Tight lows, mids for days, and the high end isn't piercing like it can be with V30's. Another speaker that isn't too bad are Eminence Texas Heats. Those I would say and flatter than any of the speakers already mentioned in this thread, but can handle the amp wide open without flinching.

Celestion G12-65s do not sound good with Mesa anything. Let alone the Marshalls they were designed for. Those are just ugly sounding speakers.

My favorite speaker with a Rectos is hands down the Mesa V30s in a Mesa cab. I've ran them through EVM-12L speakers before as well (and still have an EV loaded Mesa 1X12 Thiele cab). It's cool with them as well, but it's a little too neutral. I prefer the coloration of the V30s.

It sounds pretty good with Marshall V30s as well, though brighter for sure. I do enjoy the Recto with Greenbacks. I have an early 00s Marshall Greenback cab with UK G12Ms and a '76 "Blackback" cab. Sounds great with both.

Latest posts

Back