What's the actual weight of the Mark V 1x12 combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
The Mesa website has it listed at 65 pounds.... All the online retailers (like Sweetwater), have it listed at 80 pounds?

I know, why don't I just put mine on the scale??? Well, I had back surgery a month ago and am at a 40 pound limit and will be able to work up to 60-ish in another month. But if it's actually 80 pounds, I'm going to have to look at alternatives really soon! Even my doctor said "there's no need to carry around that much weight, when you can use something lighter" (he's a drummer).

I've already got it listed in several places trying to trade the cab for an empty head shell, but have had no luck.

So, if anyone has actually weighed it.... I'd really like to know the actual weight?

When I bought mine, years ago, I was driving an '02 camaro. I bought it from a local dealer and it took 3 of us to get it in my camaro. In its original box it wouldn't even fit. I remember almost instantly getting buyers remorse and I hadn't even left the parking lot. I thought, how the heck am I even going to take this behemoth anywhere?? I got better at it over the years but that thing is a beast to get from A to B.

SamuelJ86 said:
When I bought mine, years ago, I was driving an '02 camaro. I bought it from a local dealer and it took 3 of us to get it in my camaro. In its original box it wouldn't even fit. I remember almost instantly getting buyers remorse and I hadn't even left the parking lot. I thought, how the heck am I even going to take this behemoth anywhere?? I got better at it over the years but that thing is a beast to get from A to B.

My car isn't a Camaro, but it's a 2 door Pontaic G5 (like a Chevy Colbalt).... It's a pain in the butt to load my gear in, but it gets 33 mpg and I drive almost 80 miles a day round-trip to work and back.

I may look into the Mark 5:35

tele_jas said:
Nicklotsaguitars said:
Is that 33 mpg, not mph Tele Jas?

Lol....No, it's mph... Have you rode in one of those??!!

JK.... I stand corrected, it's mpg (gonna fix it before someone calls me out on it - oh, too late) :shock:

I bought a 75 pound kettle bell specifically to practice carrying my damned amp around. I figured that doing a farmer's carry with the kettle bell 3 days a week should make dealing with the actual amp easier.

I once twisted my ankle carrying my combo out of a local pub after a gig. There I was laying in a heap in the beer garden when this skinny young girl, couldn't have been no older than 16, literally picked it up arms out straight and carried I out to the van as if it was nothing! All the local meat-heads where out there looking at me like I was a wimp :oops: I tried to tell them how heavy that son of a ***** is but no way was they gonna believe me after that little girl picked it up. Honestly she must have the strength of thor or something cuz she picked it up like it only weighed a couple pounds. Never forget that.

Well, I have to carry my amp three floors every weeek (no elevator), so my chosen one was clear as crystal... A beautiful and ligth Mark V:25 (only 16'5 lb) it's my head to go, and is louder enough for me :)

tele_jas said:
Nicklotsaguitars said:
Is that 33 mpg, not mph Tele Jas?

Lol....No, it's mph... Have you rode in one of those??!!

JK.... I stand corrected, it's mpg (gonna fix it before someone calls me out on it - oh, too late) :shock:

Ah sorry mate, I wasn't trying to be pedantic. American cars are an alien world to me. I bought my Dodge Calibre (may have to get a DC amp to match), because of the amount you lot demand from your car makers. It's roomy(er than most Euro cars in it's class) and is really comfortable.
It just doesn't do corners and twisty country lanes too well

Wayno said:
I once twisted my ankle carrying my combo out of a local pub after a gig. There I was laying in a heap in the beer garden when this skinny young girl, couldn't have been no older than 16, literally picked it up arms out straight and carried I out to the van as if it was nothing! All the local meat-heads where out there looking at me like I was a wimp :oops: I tried to tell them how heavy that son of a ***** is but no way was they gonna believe me after that little girl picked it up. Honestly she must have the strength of thor or something cuz she picked it up like it only weighed a couple pounds. Never forget that.

Dude, I have the Mark V head and use 2X12 cabs with wheels and at 2am pushing the Mark V sitting on a cab...Parking lots are like not level... inclines are everywhere. Once, I almost spilled my beer. :lol: I get so winded. Then some drunk walks out of the bar, lights a smoke and says, You guys get paid to play music, hell if I could play I'd do it for free. I looked him straight in the eye and said I do play for free, I get paid to move this F*#@ing equipment. :lol:

As for the 16 year old girl...too bad she was 16 sounds like the perfect musician girlfriend material.

Ya know what they call a musician without a girlfriend............ Homeless...

LOL, I guess I am homeless then.....

Keep in mind, most retailers will list gross weight of the amp and contents of the carton and packaging material. This also includes the power cable, footswitch and enormously long umbilical chord of a footswitch cable, cover and manual as well as the padding in the box to protect your investment for shipping purposes. Hopefully it comes with the casters as those have some weight too. If you buy from Sweetwater, you have to include the bag of candy they pack in there. First thing you have to look for as you may need the extra boost of energy to get it into the house (depends if you have steps to climb or not.). I was upset that my JP-2C had not candy surprise packed in there. :roll: that is okay as it was not a disappointment when I plugged into it.

I bought the combo shell used and this did not have caster plates or casters. :evil: Also depends on if you change the stock speaker to something else but you will not notice the weight difference. 65 + lbs and I would believe 78lbs too. Have to consider the wood may have different weights as that cannot be controlled.

To carry this amp if you have to, will be taxing at best. I am not quite sure which was heavier, Mark III, Mark IV or the Mark V. I believe the Mark III was a bit more in weight due to the larger mag on the black shadow EV and density of the woods use to construct the cabinet. The Mark IV and Mark V weigh about the same. I would personally rather carry either compared to a Roadster combo or the RA100 combo (both better served with two people and casters are a must with those amps). Probably best to get a folding hand cart to move your gear as that would be easier than bending over to push the combo across a parking lot full of what ever may be there (glass, body parts, rocks, dirt, and the unknown excrements), also if the wheels are large enough on the dolly, moving over large grass areas are much easier on the back or your hands if you have to carry any amp or other gear.

The Mark V combo is not an amp you can carry in one hand and guitar in the other. Especially when you get to my age it is heavy enough as it is. Now when it comes to transporting, if you have to lift and then sit it down into a trunk I feel sorry for you. An SUV would be a good option if you have one. I tried to bring my Mark IV combo to a friends house using my Mustang. I think I had issue fitting it into the trunk due to mounted speakers and amp on hanging too low in the trunk space (considering that is OEM stuff).

bandit2013 said:
Now when it comes to transporting, if you have to lift and then sit it down into a trunk I feel sorry for you. An SUV would be a good option if you have one. I tried to bring my Mark IV combo to a friends house using my Mustang. I think I had issue fitting it into the trunk due to mounted speakers and amp on hanging too low in the trunk space (considering that is OEM stuff).

I have a convertible hand-cart/dolly...But that doesn't work in my house, unfortunately, due to stuff in the hallway and a "doggie" gate that only has about a 15 inch door. And of course, being all carpet, the casters don't roll too well.

I have a 2-door, somewhat compact car (Pontiac G5). I have my loading perfected over the years...... it all goes in the back seat.
1st my gig box
2nd my pedalboard
3rd my amp (of the night)
Then my back seat is full.
My front, passenger seat gets an amp head (if I'm using my Dr. Z) up on it's end and 2-3 guitars in the floorboard, leaning back.
Everything else goes in the trunk (stands, plexi-glass shield, backup amp (Crate Powerblock), extension cords, ect...)

A LOT of times, carrying the stuff to my car, or from my car to the house, isn't the issue... It's making it all fit into my car and the "contortionist act" I have to do. I'm half way in my car: twisting, lifting, pulling, and pushing it in to place. An SUV would be ideal and it probably my next car...But I also drive 90 miles, round trip, to work and back each day.....So, I must have something that gets good gas mileage.

I'm not whining, although it sounds like it in this post... I didn't have any back issues 3.5 years ago when I got this Mark V and it was no problem. This is all "typical" stuff to do with growing older (I'm 44) and trying to make things work for you that did when you were 24, or even 34 (I had a Road King 2x12 comb @115 pounds and moved it with no issues)

This getting older, really sucks!! (that was whining) ;)

My problem is I keep forgetting I am 50. Then I realize my body cannot take the heavy lifting as much. Already pinched a nerve last year moving leaves from the back yard with one attempt. Should have pulled that load with the truck. Stupid me. Reference to truck : Toyota FJ Cruiser, so not really a truck per say but a medium sized SUV and there are many things that will not fit into it. I had a difficult time moving my gear down from PA to NC and at that time I had only two combos, one 412 and two guitars. I also moved the audio stuff and TV and the rest was up to the movers.

I can still manage to move my gear from room to room but that does not include the multiple stairs and such. If I need to take a rig out, it would have to be the JP-2C head and the Vertical 212. I would not have the room for my guitars and all with one of the 412 cabs. I just play for fun and at the moment I do not have intentions to play any gigs. That was some 20 + years ago. May consider it again some day. My friend from work said to me I am at that point I should consider it. I do my own stuff so cover band is not for me. Now I play the drums (need more time to perfect that as I am still a beginner). Bass is not much different than guitar but technique can be difficult to get down.

If I had to bring all of my gear with me, I would need to buy a truck, trailer or rent something big enough. Keep it simple, life would be simple, body remains happy.

If she was 2 - 3 years older and slightly larger / rounder appendages then she would defo have been girlfriend material. Not sure the wife would agree though!

There's always one drunk with a comment to make, trying to talk drunk mates out of helping to carry out gear is a nightmare too.

Still believe the Mark V is worth its weight, best amp I've ever used.

Wayno said:
trying to talk drunk mates out of helping to carry out gear is a nightmare too.

This is a universal nightmare!!! It seems like after ever gig, there's a drunk patron, or 2 or 3, that asks if we need help. It makes me cringe every time to even think of it :shock:

On a side note.. I seen a shirt that said, something to the affect of:
When I was 20 and playing guitar in a band, I did it for the drugs and groupies - Now I just want Tylenol and a roadie!

Latest posts

Back