Cabinet Pairing with JP-2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheehanje

Reaction score
When I tested out the JP-2C at the store, they had me going through a Marshall 4X12 and it sounded absolutely monstrous. At home I run 2 1X12 Mesa cabs (one closed back, one open) with C90's in it. It sounds great - but for some reason it sounded grittier and meaner in the 4X12.

Now I'm thinking about buying a new cabinet - but don't necessarily want to lug a 4X12 around again. I've been really eyeing the Mesa Veritcal 2X12 loaded with 2 V30's.

Am I going to get that extra grit and bottom end with a 2X12? Has anyone been using the vertical 2X12 for gigging? I really don't want to go back to a 4X12 - I'm getting too old to lug that stuff around, especially in the US Northeast during the winter. But am I going to get anything more with the switch from my 1X12's to a 2X12 with V30's? From using cab clone and my two notes - the jp-2c seems to sound more natural with v30's instead of c90's.

sheehanje said:
When I tested out the JP-2C at the store, they had me going through a Marshall 4X12 and it sounded absolutely monstrous. At home I run 2 1X12 Mesa cabs (one closed back, one open) with C90's in it. It sounds great - but for some reason it sounded grittier and meaner in the 4X12.

Now I'm thinking about buying a new cabinet - but don't necessarily want to lug a 4X12 around again. I've been really eyeing the Mesa Veritcal 2X12 loaded with 2 V30's.

Am I going to get that extra grit and bottom end with a 2X12? Has anyone been using the vertical 2X12 for gigging? I really don't want to go back to a 4X12 - I'm getting too old to lug that stuff around, especially in the US Northeast during the winter. But am I going to get anything more with the switch from my 1X12's to a 2X12 with V30's? From using cab clone and my two notes - the jp-2c seems to sound more natural with v30's instead of c90's.
I use mainly the mesa 2x12 horizontal, and you can definitely get that grit you're talking about. It's definitely something to do with the V30's that these mesa heads really come alive with. One thing to mention is that you'll have to crank the volume a bit more than you would to get the saturation that you would want, but only because there are 2 less speakers than a 4x12. Either way, both cabs sound amazing.

Ibanezex718 said:
I use mainly the mesa 2x12 horizontal, and you can definitely get that grit you're talking about. It's definitely something to do with the V30's that these mesa heads really come alive with. One thing to mention is that you'll have to crank the volume a bit more than you would to get the saturation that you would want, but only because there are 2 less speakers than a 4x12. Either way, both cabs sound amazing.

So I went to the local music store with my 2 1X12's looking to trade for a new 2X12 Vertical cab. They happened to have a used one (which I've never saw a used one there) for a really good price. Ended up trading the open back 1X12 towards it and only paid $160. Ecstatic! I get my 2X12 and keep my closed back 1X12 for less then I would've paid trading both 1X12's towards a new 2X12.

Tried it out at the store with a JP-2C they had and it sounded great. Too bad my kids are sleeping or I would be playing through it right now.

So did you get to try it out yet at home? I am really considering the Vertical 2x12. Already have two 412 and the one with the V30 is amazing with the JP-2C. Looking for 212 as I do not need so much loudness. I would assume the MC90 would not be a great fit as it is similar to the Celestion Cream 90W Alnico (only similar tone wise) as I have one of those in my Mark V combo. Plugged the JP-2C into my amp with that speaker in it and was not overly impressed.

I am not a fan of the vertical 2x12. I originally bought it because it looked like an ideal match for the Mark V, and the fact that it was slanted so it would project the sound more than a straight 2x12. I sold my Orange 2x12 to get it, which I actually never had any problems with because it sounded quite good. I assumed the Mesa vertical 2x12 would be even better. I was wrong.

My first impression was that it lacked the bass of the Orange, which makes sense because the vertical is physically smaller and the sides of the cabinet are not as thick. The Orange cab sounds like a 4x12, honestly. The vertical also seemed to accentuate a cardboard-esque, honky midrange tone in whatever amp I ran it through.

I should also mention the casters, which I assumed would make transporting the cab much easier. Wrong again! I have never had so much trouble putting casters on a cab in my entire life. I had to fight to get them on every time, to the point where I dreaded doing it. They slide right on my Bogner 4x12. Long story short, I bought a used Orange 2x12 and am selling my Mesa vertical. Maybe the one I bought was a lemon? I don't know but I'm not fond of the cab at all.

Those push button locks are a PITA at times. My old Recto cab, hard to remove one. I tend to keep them on the cabs since I move my stuff around a lot. If I am recording, most of the cabs and amps I am not using will come out of the room as the makeshift studio is rather small, probably too small.

As for the honky midrange cardboard tone, that sounded like my original OS Recto 412 with the original speakers in it. Yep, sounded like ckicken scratch with all of the amps I had at that time. Either would flub or poke your ears out. I did get another later on and that thing is incredible. Also had more amps to run through it too. The old recto I bought new in 2000. The new one I got just last year.

It is good to read the good, bad and the ugly reviews of one thing. Since speaker cabinets are so subjective, I will have to hear it in person with the amp I intend to use it with. I will stick with new for the time being.

Thanks for the response :p

I have both the vertical and horizontal recto 2x12 cabs. They do not sound exactly alike, but they are 90% the same. The horizontal sounds like it has more low end, the verticals accentuate the mids more. I am 100% sure this is because of the location and angle of the speakers. The horizontal on its side (turned vertical) sound like the vertical and vice-versa. I prefer to hear the sound from the speakers directly, as that is what the crowd will hear, especially mic'd. My knees are not so good for hearing :)

As for one cab vs. another, my first vertical 2x12 I got used and then used extensively. The second I got new. I like (and am used to) the tone of the older one better, but I have found the V30 break-in period to be fairly short. The new one is sounding more and more like the old one.

The push-button locks suck. But I found a good way to at least put them in them pretty quick. It has to do with how I line up the caster plate. When taking the casters off, it helps to use a pen. At least they are secure.

I would agree, the casters may be difficult to remove but not impossible. They do not fall out or off when lifting the cab up stairs or to an elevated level. One complaint about the post style casters is they can fall out when the cab is lifted if the retaining spring is not very strong (assuming one is used). There are other similar cabs where you cannot remove the casters, and some completely without casters. I would prefer the slide in style that Mesa uses vs. the peg or post type. I am okay with Mesa Casters.

My new Vertical 2x12 came today before lunch. I could not get any answers from others :roll: about it before buying so why not find out for myself how the Vertical 2x12 pairs up to the JP-2C.

Holy Sh!t, this little cab rocks! :p, Best of all, it sounds just like the OS Recto 412 with just a slight reduction the top end frequency (very hard to tell the difference actually). This is another Mesa Cab I am very pleased with.... Still have the Recto sitting in the same spot on top of the old Recto cab. Kept it in the picture for reference so you can see the size difference between the two. I would definitely recommend the Vertical 2x12 cab in place of the 412 if you which to save on space or weight. Not quite the same amount of air but definitely plenty to be impressive.

20161005_131248_zpsv3yka7yt.jpg

bandit2013 said:
My new Vertical 2x12 came today before lunch. I could not get any answers from others :roll: about it before buying so why not find out for myself how the Vertical 2x12 pairs up to the JP-2C.

Holy Sh!t, this little cab rocks! :p, Best of all, it sounds just like the OS Recto 412 with just a slight reduction the top end frequency (very hard to tell the difference actually). This is another Mesa Cab I am very pleased with.... Still have the Recto sitting in the same spot on top of the old Recto cab. Kept it in the picture for reference so you can see the size difference between the two. I would definitely recommend the Vertical 2x12 cab in place of the 412 if you which to save on space or weight. Not quite the same amount of air but definitely plenty to be impressive.
[/img]

I finally got to use the vertical 2X12 live. LOVE IT! The venue we played at is in the middle of a FoH upgrade and they only had the singer going into the PA. Was a little worried, but man, the 2X12 kicked ***. Was a small/medium sized venue - stage at back of it, very long space with a large bar and high ceilings - typical upstate NY spot. I went "naked" to the show - just the JP-2C, Cabinet and guitar. Didn't use my floorboard. What a great sound we had and it was such an easy setup.

Here's a video from the show (it doesn't really do it justice seeing it's a cheap camera that was right next to the bass players amp) -- https://youtu.be/Ln44w9myR64

I had to compare the VR212 to the OSR412. Both sound great with the JP-2C but what I like the best is the VR212. I would highly recommend the Vertical Rectifier 212 cab over the OS Rectifier 412 cab any day. The smaller cab sounds huge and has very tight bass response. Midrange and top end is almost comparable to the 412. The OS Recto 412 is also worthy to be pushed by the JP-2C but will have more top end. The smaller cab not only weighs less, it is more compact and will do the same job as the 412 but not quite as loud but loud enough. A keeper for sure.

I have yet to try the cab clone. Then again I have only recorded the amp once for a brief paly though before I was familiar with it. So many things to do yet so little time. Sooner or later that will come to pass. I am considering getting the Horizontal cab to use with my Roadster. Not only did the JP-2C spoil me, so did the VR212. My other amps sound really awesome through it. The one Mesa recording was done with the HR212 (the one with the multitrack parts). Too many decisions now.

I agree with the VR212 comments. These are my favorite cabs, and way easier to gig than a 4x12, with less floorspace required than the HR2x12 for those of us on smaller stages.

For the volume difference, I suspect the amp may have just a bit more power left to make it up :shock:

bandit2013 said:
I had to compare the VR212 to the OSR412. Both sound great with the JP-2C but what I like the best is the VR212. I would highly recommend the Vertical Rectifier 212 cab over the OS Rectifier 412 cab any day. The smaller cab sounds huge and has very tight bass response. Midrange and top end is almost comparable to the 412. The OS Recto 412 is also worthy to be pushed by the JP-2C but will have more top end. The smaller cab not only weighs less, it is more compact and will do the same job as the 412 but not quite as loud but loud enough. A keeper for sure.

I have yet to try the cab clone. Then again I have only recorded the amp once for a brief paly though before I was familiar with it. So many things to do yet so little time. Sooner or later that will come to pass. I am considering getting the Horizontal cab to use with my Roadster. Not only did the JP-2C spoil me, so did the VR212. My other amps sound really awesome through it. The one Mesa recording was done with the HR212 (the one with the multitrack parts). Too many decisions now.

I'm so glad I went with the VR212 - it has been my favorite cab by far. I thought about the horizontal - but the vertical definitely has better monitoring characteristics and the footprint is just so easy to manage getting on and off stage.

As far as the cab clone - I probably wouldn't use it for professional recording. It's not as good as you would get with a Two-Notes unit. But, that said, it's a very handy feature - especially for scratch recording, FoH applications and to facilitate tube saturated bedroom playing. It has basically eliminated a piece of gear I owned (Two Notes Torpedo Reload) as I don't do pro recording - I go to a studio for that. But for home use it's been great...

I am going to get the standard Recto horizontal 212 cab. As it seems I am moving away from the 412's. I will keep all three 412 cabs though. I am considering moving the Creambacks into the smaller traditional sized Egnator cab and dump the EVs back into the old Recto. That would give me three different tones to chose from. The Creambacks did sound great in the OS recto but I got spoiled with the Vertical 212 cab so much that I may get another one but would rather have a slight change in tone so my sights are focused on the horizontal one at the moment.

I use an Avatar 4x10 with G10c/s on the Bottom and the 20 watt Veterans on the top.
It sounds phenomenal! It is a very full sound without the shreeky highs. It is a very rounded sound on the high end and warm "Brownish" lows.

I've never heard any cabinet that sounds better than a Mesa Mark series metal grill half open/half closed with C90s up top and mighty EVM12Ls below. I used to have a 1960A for my Marshall, but the Mark series slayed it so badly, I sold it and got another Mark! Whichever of my Capital Amps (Think Capital Ships aka Battleships) is in use, it always has 8x12 behind it. :twisted:

I duplicate 1/2 of this with my MkIV combo + Thiele. It's simply unbeatable to me.

I finally got around to stuffing the old OS Recto cab with the EVM12L -BL speakers..... I guess the divorce did not get finalized and the marriage is back on with the EV... I basically did this to run my Roadster but found the JP-2C sounds incredible though the EV loaded cab. Much better in a sealed cab vs open back combo with a single EV in it. Still the V30 sounds great on its own when not trying to compete with an EV loaded cab pushed by another amp.

Still prefer the Vertical 212 for most of what I do as it is easier on my hearing.

I'd love to try the V2x12 some day but so far I've just had the Recto 1x12 & 4x12. That said I think the V30 Mesa cab sounds more modern, and my 1960 G12T-75 cabs sound more vintage with the Mark amps. Both sound great with the JP. I do think the 1960 really needs to be loud to sound its best though. The Mesa cabs can sound great at any volume.
https://youtu.be/NdARuM_4QJ8

I did just come up on an original EVM12L, which actually sounds really cool with the Mark amps. Trying to decide if I want to drop it in a 1.3 cubic foot Thiele or maybe try out one of the old Mesa 4x12s with the metal grills that had them. Hmm.. That could be juicy. The Celestions all seem to color the tone where the EVM doesn't seem to, and has a really cool feel.

Anyone have a quick rundown of what different setups were offered in those older metal grille cabs?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1yoy1die8luaq6w/File%20Mar%2019%2C%2010%2011%2059%20AM.jpeg?dl=0
Richb

Sorry to resurrect this thread a year later but I am hoping for some feedback.

So I just ordered a jp2c which will be here next week. This will be my 3rd mesa, I had a trem-o-verb dual rec 2x12 combo which I sold many years ago for a large PA system (a decision I sorely regret), and I currently have a rocket 44 1x12 combo. My question is this, while I have 2 no name 2x12 cabs loaded with random crap speakers, I also have 2 cabs I built my self about 6 years ago that are oddball open backs with 4x8" alnico 60s era organ speakers and 1x12" WSG vet30 each. I actually think they sound pretty good, and I will at least try one out with the jp2c when it arrives. But I also noticed that there is an 80s vert mesa halfback available locally for $400, it's got evm12ls top and bottom, and I don't think that the back panel to close the top is still around.

To those in this thread who have the old halfbacks, should I bother with them? Are they still floating your boats? And if so do you run the top open or closed and what's the speaker configuration?

Thanks for your consideration, also richb how do you like your fx8? I am also thinking of getting myself one asap.

Back