PRS + Mesa... why do they work so well together?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is major mojo between PRS and Mesa Boogie for sure!

I got my Custom 24 back in 1995 and played it through a Fender Bassman 70...traded the bassman for a 2x12 USA Blues Deville. The PRS sounded ok through both. I then played the PRS through a band mates Mark III and knew I had to get on board. Bought a V-Twin Pedal on a whim and ran it in front of the Deville. Loved that combo and ran it for about 5 years. Then got a deal on a DC-5A and use it to this day.

Of all my guitars the PRS > DC5 has the most mojo, but all my humbucker guitars sound stellar through it. I just picked up a Fender Baja Tele that does NOT bond with the DC5 very well but me thinks I need to dedicate some extra tweak time and I'm sure it will come around :D

I think it is more a case of people with the willingness to be flexible in their opinions. The guitar world is full of stubbornness and ritual choices. Many can not be convinced that any other than a "Les Paul through an old Marshall" (insert any combination of Fender/Gibson/Vox etc)can possibly be the answer.
These people will never acknowledge any Mesa or PRS, individually or in combination.
I would guess that the majority of the frequenters of this forum would agree that a PRS/Mesa is a winning combination.

I can think of other forums that would hammer anyone for supporting either brand, let alone a combination of both.

My "truth" is that there are many brands of desirable guitar and amps. The only question I ask myself is will today's choice do what I need it to. The answer for my Mark iii and PRSs is always yes. I can't say the same for my 335 and a Plexi 100 however much I like the combination.

yelly said:
I think it is more a case of people with the willingness to be flexible in their opinions. The guitar world is full of stubbornness and ritual choices. Many can not be convinced that any other than a "Les Paul through an old Marshall" (insert any combination of Fender/Gibson/Vox etc)can possibly be the answer.
These people will never acknowledge any Mesa or PRS, individually or in combination.
I would guess that the majority of the frequenters of this forum would agree that a PRS/Mesa is a winning combination.

I can think of other forums that would hammer anyone for supporting either brand, let alone a combination of both.

My "truth" is that there are many brands of desirable guitar and amps. The only question I ask myself is will today's choice do what I need it to. The answer for my Mark iii and PRSs is always yes. I can't say the same for my 335 and a Plexi 100 however much I like the combination.

Big +1 to this...Recently started jamming with a co-worker that had never heard a Mesa or PRS, let alone together. He was putting a pedal into a Marshall and getting his sound from the pedal. He can't believe the sounds that come out of the Rectifier.

FYI, PRSh has been known to play several amps personally, but one of his most modded amps is a Soldano. It's revoiced into a Plexi meets JCM800 with some serious guts. I've played that amp and its impressive for its age and considering Paul wasn't really an electrical engineer. He has since had Doug Sewell build his "Paul's Amp" , which is more of a Marshall/Dumble/Tweed thing. But their latest Archon line definitely takes a page from the Book of Boogie.

I play in a 9 pc horn band that does everything from Big Band to Classic Rock and everything in between. The PRS/Boog combination is always a winner. What's interesting is that the PRS will get you past the Les Paul skeptics. Our band leader doesn't like LP's at all, but is totally ok with the PRS Custom 22. I know they aren't the same (I have LP's) but IMO they are in the same basic camp.

I think both PRS and Mesa are companies that go the extra mile to make sure they produce superb quality products, and the tones compliment each other nicely. Just like a Fender through a Fender or a Gibson through a Marshall. They just work.

screamingdaisy said:
PRS + Mesa... why do they work so well together?

I'm not a PRS dude and I've never actually played a PRS through a Mesa... just wondering what people's opinions are on the subject?
I just read this and snickered. :lol: That certainly changed, didn't it?

Latest posts

Back