Larry Carlton's "Last Nite" Cover with a Mini Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiJoe

Reaction score
From my home studio, a tribute to Mr. 335 using my Epi Dot fitted with DiMarzio 36ths and my Mini Rec. My own arrangement and backing track.

https://soundcloud.com/kiwijoe-1/last-nite

really nice

i really dig the feedback tones in the middle,
just enough gain,
the mini rec can obviously get very close to early mark or even dumblesque tones with the right settings

gonzo said:
really nice

i really dig the feedback tones in the middle,
just enough gain,
the mini rec can obviously get very close to early mark or even dumblesque tones with the right settings
Thanks, mate.

I think the MR does do a pretty good job of getting early Mark (like Mark I) type tones, too. I've had the Mini Rec for 4 years now, and I'm still in love with what it does; just perfect for what I do both recording and with my trio. What I've found works best is 25W setting (the 10W setting is just too compressed, squashes the transients), "vintage" with low-ish gain (9-10 o'clock), high channel master (around 2-3 o'clock) fed by low output PAFs. I also fitted a 12ay7 in V2; seems to soften some of that Recto edge on the OD channel. I keep the bass around 9 o'clock, mids around 1-2 o'clock, treble around 11 o'clock and presence dimed. I also use a Fromel Shape parametric EQ in the loop to boost some upper mids and treble. That's my go-to setup when gigging with my trio, slight adjustments according to the room etc. That's also exactly what I used for the feedback section.

For the rest, including the solo, I took a slightly different approach going for more of that Dumble-ish vibe. I run the Mini on "clean" @25W with the gain around 1-2 o'clock and the master dimed, the rest of the tone stack similar to the OD channel. With the guitar volume wide open it clips nicely; good, classic rock type crunch. To get the D-amp thing I run a Wilson Lotus Drive (like a Zen Drive or any other D-amp type pedal) with the gain all the way off, level at unity, so it's more for that sparkle than actual OD. For the first verse I had the guitar volume just cracked open @1-2, 2nd verse it was about 5, neck pup for both. For the solo and final verse it was both pups blended to just give a hint of clipping but still sounding clean. Again, the Fromel Shape in the loop.

I mic the stock Mini 1x12 cab with a Rode M1, basically an SM58 clone, with the wind screen removed so it's basically a 57.

Then just a bit of compression (just to even out but not destroy the picking dynamics), delay, and reverb at the board.

Latest posts

Back