I picked up a Mark iii Red Stripe this weekend (My 1st Mk)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoogieHog

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up this beauty for $700 and it has to be one of if not THE best sounding amp I've ever heard. The only thing is needed was an eq so, I picked up an MXR 10 Band eq in a trade. I am BLOWN away!

Would any of you like to share your thoughts or favorite settings on your Mark iii?

13501730_10210010875767454_1560251415991315407_n.jpg

My favorite setting for today is Volume one @ 8.5, treble @ 8, bass @ 1.5 pulled, mid @7, master 1.5 pulled, LD @ 5.5, LM @8, presence @ 7. MetalRock tone. Tomorrow might be different with the LD higher, Channel one lower. I always seem to adjust the GEQ every time I play, from a mild V to an M to a deep V for a Marshall/Fender tone. That's where you get the amp's feel from. These amps are organic, not bionic, and sound different everyday, they're alive inside, either that or atmospheric conditions affect it more than other amps. Also the tubes you use will matter in tone timber and how the sound jumps out. The right tube in V1, they all like a particular one, and the amp will leave a grin on your face you can't wipe off! 8) Oh yeah, I almost forgot - the amp needs to warm up for at least 20 minutes before it starts to thicken up. After an hour or two it'll ooze with tone. I was just messing with my amp and already the settings are a little different because I changed the pick up in my guitar.

You ain't kidding! This amp is organic and I ALREADY can't get the smile off of my face. I own 2 Tremoverb 2x12 Combos a 94 and a 98 and I own a 98 Dual Rec Solo head that I run through an Avatar Cab with V30 Hellatones. And I THOUGHT I knew what I wanted UNTIL I got this little power house. My favorite settings in this place are: Volume 6.5, Treb 7, Bass 2, Mid 7, Master 3 (Pulled), Lead Drive 6.5, Lead Master 3.5

But it changes all the time AND for whatever reason I LOVE it. Also, I am now running an MXR 10 Band EQ in the FX Loop and MY GOD what a difference. This thing just CAME ALIVE!!

Congrats on your new amp! I've owned lots of Mesa amp (Rectos, Marks, Roadking, F-50...) However, the Mark III puts a smile on my face every time too. Enjoy your amp.

Congratulations on the new amp! I love my Mark III too, so many tones that you can get out of it.

Congrats ! I have a Mark III no stripe here. Try these settings as a starting point. You will find some thing that needs to tweak a bit to fit your tone. Its a bit fuzzy when your low volume in the bedroom or something but, open it up to 1.5 - 2.5 and it has exactly what works for me.I ride my volume on the guitar a lot of tone changes.

front.jpg

Good luck, you will love that amp!

My Mark III amp.

Room1.JPG

I love my Red Stripe, it's a Marshall killer... once it's dialed in. I can get almost perfectly John Sykes' tone from Whitesnake's 1987 album. He used a couple Red Stripe Coli's for that album, same preamp with two extra power tubes. Settings I have so far are Volume 9, Treble 9, Bass 1, Middle 5, Lead Drive 7.5. Master and Lead Master set as high as you wanna go. I have the GEQ set in a V pattern. I throw a light overdrive and compressor (on a low setting, unless you like NOISE) in front and a mild chorus in the loop (I found it opens up the amp even more than just the GEQ alone). Perfect Whitesnake/Pyromania-era Def Leppard. I'm still tweaking though, after having the amp for almost a year.

Seriously, enjoy this thing. If you're patient in dialing it in to your liking, it'll blow most things out of the water.

Timmy,
That was an awesome reply! And every single thing you said was on the money! I have sine bought abother one ( a black dot with the red stripe upgrade & it he the GEQ) AND A Mark V and the red stripe is still my favorite!

Congrats on ur getting one of the most underrated amps ever! 700 USD is a real bargain even if it comes with no eq.

Congrats on the best Boogie ever made!
Keep the presence down with or without the eq.
I can get unbelievable warm tones out of my Green & Red Stripe Mark III's.
As long as the Presence is below 2.
I love how Mesa Boogies self proclaimed biggest Mark series failure, the Mark III is
my all time favorite Amp. Best midrange without question..
The money I could have saved if I had bought one 25 years ago..

I love Mark 3s and there are so many different ways they sound good. Maybe a less obvious one: use the lead channel but turn the lead gain down as low as you can get it before the signal starts to fade out (I wanna say this is usually like 1-2 on the dial, depending on your guitar). Then roll the presence down. Great smooth overdrive and compression.

Congrats, and welcome to the III club! Ever time I play the blue stripe it makes me happy! The amp is stock, no mods, just guitar to amp. Oh my settings are:

9.5 Volume 1
7 Treble pulled
1 Bass
4 Middle
8 Lead Drive
5.5 Lead Master
0 Reverb
1.5 Presence

front.php

thank you all for all of your comments! They helped tremendously! Especially you, themisfit138, HOW did you get that pic like that? That's boss!

That amp SO inspired me that, I now own a Mark V, a JP-2c+, AND I got another Red Stripe but this on is the Simulclass and has the GEQ and it was originally a Black Stripe that was upgraded to a Red Stripe. That one is amazing as well!!

I can't believe it took 35 years of playing to find out that the tone I was looking for was in a Mark series amp (Specifically the JP-2C+)

BoogieHog said:
thank you all for all of your comments! They helped tremendously! Especially you, themisfit138, HOW did you get that pic like that? That's boss!

That amp SO inspired me that, I now own a Mark V, a JP-2c+, AND I got another Red Stripe but this on is the Simulclass and has the GEQ and it was originally a Black Stripe that was upgraded to a Red Stripe. That one is amazing as well!!

I can't believe it took 35 years of playing to find out that the tone I was looking for was in a Mark series amp (Specifically the JP-2C+)

I got it off of here a a few years ago,in one of the Mark III threads. Here is the link http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/
Also, I use a foot switch when I play the Mark and just didn't list the lead channel knob as pulled.

BoogieHog said:
You ain't kidding! This amp is organic and I ALREADY can't get the smile off of my face. I own 2 Tremoverb 2x12 Combos a 94 and a 98 and I own a 98 Dual Rec Solo head that I run through an Avatar Cab with V30 Hellatones. And I THOUGHT I knew what I wanted UNTIL I got this little power house. My favorite settings in this place are: Volume 6.5, Treb 7, Bass 2, Mid 7, Master 3 (Pulled), Lead Drive 6.5, Lead Master 3.5

But it changes all the time AND for whatever reason I LOVE it. Also, I am now running an MXR 10 Band EQ in the FX Loop and MY GOD what a difference. This thing just CAME ALIVE!!

I vividly remember the first time I took my MkIII home and really cranked it. As you know, it switches to God Mode somewhere after master volume of 3, and powers through anything. I literally couldn't wipe the smile off my face for 10 minutes, and I'm not usually one to go around with a big grin on my face! :lol: I had to ask, is that ME playing? It instantly made me feel like I had reached another plane, that I could hang in more serious company. This was true of course, because now I was louder than all of my friends, and felt more confident than ever because sonic lightning bolts were shooting from my speakers! I still feel just as elated every time I crank it, especially if someone else hears it for the first time. I always run it through a full Mark Series stack side by side or spread apart somewhat for stereo effects.

I have a KFK 10-band, which I bought with the idea of boosting R2 or as a volume boost for Lead, although I virtually never use it since tweaking my amp to perfection.

Back