The Mark IV thread....!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was noteworthy after chatting with someone at Boogie about some issues I'm having; I have a IV-0086XX S/N but still have the permanently-attached power cord. At 1K per year I figure I'm sitting at a 1996 or so build date so they must have found an old early-revision-B chassis laying around and built it?

I kept referring to it as an "early B" and he was perplexed by the later S/N and earlier cord arrangement; I honestly think he thought I was an idiot. *shrug* Wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

Rick Finsta said:
I thought this was noteworthy after chatting with someone at Boogie about some issues I'm having; I have a IV-0086XX S/N but still have the permanently-attached power cord. At 1K per year I figure I'm sitting at a 1996 or so build date so they must have found an old early-revision-B chassis laying around and built it?

I kept referring to it as an "early B" and he was perplexed by the later S/N and earlier cord arrangement; I honestly think he thought I was an idiot. *shrug* Wouldn't be the first time. :lol:

It's not that unusual; mine is serial 008106 built May '96

Adding to this long-standing thread.

I am the proud new owner of a 1991 Mesa Mark IVa compact combo.
I purchased it from the original owner. It came with hang tag, receipt, printed manual, the cardboard sample settings that sits on top of the amp and a cover. It's in excellent condition.
I've had the Mark III, Mark V and a Multi-watt Dual Recto. I didn't gel so well with any of em.
This Mk IV, on the other hand, was instant gratification on the clean channel. It took a couple of hours of tweaking, but I have the crunch and lead channels where I want them.
I much prefer running the amp through a 2x12 vs the EVM in the combo.
I could live on R2. Set for crunch, work guitar volume for cleans, hit with pedals for more dirt and leads.
It works great at bedroom volumes, and sounds freaking fantastic cranked up.
Of course the lead channel is fantastic for the heavy stuff.
I love the tweed, triode settings for at home. Can't wait to get out and rock it with a band.

Anyway, so glad this popped up for sale on the local Craigslist. And glad I could join the many owners of various Mark IVs here on the board. :)

Hello fellow Mark IV disciples!

I was a Marshall owner/player until I was studio tracking in 2012. For overdubs, the engineer encouraged me to try the mark IV. It was a Mark IV short head through 2 1x12 mark series cabinets and I was blown away by the clean/lead channel. The next day I purchased a Mark IV combo with Blackshadow speaker locally in mint condition and have never looked back!

I've been gigging with this combo since then and I've been very happy (usually miced to the PA or standing on top of it's flight case), but I'd like to add an extension cabinet to my rig for more thump.

My question for you Mark IV gurus is.. should I go for a single 2x12 cab with the combo speaker (thinking 2x12 compact rectifier closed back) or should I leave the combo speaker plugged in and opt for a 1x12 cab? Has anyone tried it in both configurations?

Thx!

Hi there, does anyone know the frequency values of the MarkIV's tone controls, particularly for the Lead channel?

And what frequency/ies they shift to when "Lead Fat", "Pull Shift", "Lead Bright", and "Mid Gain" are engaged?

I guess they slot around the graphic equaliser's frequencies of 80Hz, 240Hz, 750Hz, 2.2kHz, and 6.6kHz?

I do have a MarkIV and don't have an issue with setting it. But I am curious to what the frequency values are of its tone pots. Please help.

Hi fellow Mark Players! 1st post here. After 3 months of owning this great amp (iv), I'm getting the hang of it :)

What i'm wondering is, do you active gig players protect the amp with a case or something? The open back is just waiting for a hit of a drum stand or whatnot, in the van.

Welcome, metal player I assume with eyepategod/eyehategod being so similar. Get a case! The knobs on the front can get seared off very easily during transport or at practice. That's what happened to my IV once when the other guitarist caught a knob and snapped it off. I was able to super glue it back and it worked fine but I've seen a lot of IV's with missing knobs, (always a fifteen dollar fix) for sale. I don't think I have ever seen a Mark 1 - 3 with a knob knocked off. I've owned amps and guitars for 40 years and they mostly look like the day I bought them because they travel in cases. The one old Marshall cabinet that I bought new in 1985, has no case and it is beat!

Hah, yea i'm all about the riff and TONE :)

Cant find any cases for the IV in Europe web shops... :( The V:s case seems abit too big.

Anyone notice a little bit of noise and hum when in Triode mode on their IV?? Mine has just a bit of hum in Triode (not much), but Pentode is dead silent by comparison. Not sure what setting I prefer? but I think I prefer Pentode just because of the headroom?? I like to get the full 85 watts. Tweed, Class A, and Triode just makes the amp a little bit looser and less full. The amp sounds so good at bedroom levels that it's not really necessary to have these lower wattage options... I just turn the output control down.

Anyone else notice how **** loud the Mark IV is? or just how dramatic and touchy the taper on the Output control is?? I can get to band level volumes with the output only at 2, with the Lead Master up fairly high. This is definitely a gigging amp, but is very bedroom volume use friendly as well.

My girls :)

10599551_10204404301965102_1350337081055144016_n.jpg

My recent Mark IV purchase from a pawn shop in Austin has serial number IV1525. Would that be a first year? Maybe second at most I would think.

Wow, the shortbody combo I just bought has a serial in the 4ks, so it should be an A version. It came with a tag that had inspector names and the serial on it, but I don't know where to look to find the serial on the amp itself. I HOPE it's the same 4k serial number, but either way, this thing sounds amazing.

Does anyone know where the serial# is located?

My MK IV has a volume drop in RH1, I need to max gain and master to get sound out of it. Anyone experienced this?
Never mind, I bought another one in perfect condition.

Hi to you all,

I have just picked up a nice MKIV rev. A combo SN IV 4320.

Did any of you owned this amp previously?

There is a jack, probably a modification (my guess would be a reverb switch) just next to the serial plate, does anyone know about this mod?

Also, has anyone had experience with the Tube Amp Doctor retubing kits for the MKIVa?

http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/de/shop_Tube_Sets_Mesa_Boogie_Tube_Sets/Roehrenset_fuer_Mesa_Boogie_MK_IV_A_3917

Thanks in advance!

Thewiz said:
My MK IV has a volume drop in RH1, I need to max gain and master to get sound out of it. Anyone experienced this?
Never mind, I bought another one in perfect condition.

Yeah had the same problem.

Replace the V1 preamp tube with a new 12AX7.

The V1 slot is the one with the metal housing over it push upwards and give it a slight twist to remove it.

I hope I was able to help you a bit :p

It had all kinds of problems so I bought another one. The new one is a late 2006 and looks like new. Sounds amazing.

Hi,
I currently run my mk ivA combo with a thiele cab (both with ev speakers) and it sounds great. The only problem is the combo weighs around 50Kg in the flight case so is a bit of a back breaker to say the least. I recently acquired a head shell and re housed the amp (I was lucky to find a mint condition 1991 shell) but I soon returned the amp back to the combo since the 1x12 lacked something by my itself (I'm guessing because it's very directional...and was probably killing the guy sitting at the bar!). The mix of the open backed combo and the ported thiele really does sound great.

However someone I know is selling a vertical closed back 2x12 boogie cab for a good price (currently has v30s but I guess I could swap one or 2 for my EVs). I know tone is a matter of taste, but how would a 2x12 vertical cab compare to the combo/thiele combination I currently use?? I'm guessing it would also be a back breaker...but I've checked it out and it's only 34Kgs instead of 50! I generally play classic rock, blues and a bit of metal. Anyone give me some advice here???

I'm thinking about adding a long Mark IV and have a question about size. I like using a 1x12 rectifier can which is 18 2/3" wide across the top. I know the Mark IV is wider then that. Are the feet positioned so that it will sit on top of the cabinet and just overhand a bit or will it wobble, etc...?

I guess I could always put a pc of heavy plywood or something sturdy across the top of my cab to support the head if that is an issue?

Thanks!

Qstick333 said:
I'm thinking about adding a long Mark IV and have a question about size. I like using a 1x12 rectifier can which is 18 2/3" wide across the top. I know the Mark IV is wider then that. Are the feet positioned so that it will sit on top of the cabinet and just overhand a bit or will it wobble, etc...?

I guess I could always put a pc of heavy plywood or something sturdy across the top of my cab to support the head if that is an issue?

Thanks!
I'll answer this for you when I get back from the store in about an hour. I gotta grab a tape measure and go out to my shop.

Edit: Okay, footprint is 20 3/4" x 8 1/2". Mind you, that's to the edge of each rubber footing, so I'd suggest cutting the platform at least an inch extra per side, ie 22 3/4" x 10 1/2".

On another note, my serial # is 006703 and has the FX Loop, so by all means should be a MIVB, but I swear I remember Boogie telling me mine had the A circuitry when I had it repaired around the early 2000's(New transistors I think, can't remember, but cost me like $350). I bought this amp brand new in Dec. of either '93 or '94, can't remember which. It has the attached power cable and I think that was indicative of A's and early B's.

Picture of my rig and knob has since been repaired. On my 2nd footswitch:
WgmqhHU.jpg

Back