EL34 mod for 50/50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACHIEVEIT

Reaction score
Hi guys,

i am thinking about getting a used 50/50 I found at a very good price locally and I want to see if I can make the best out of it. I have multiple preamps (Mesa Studio, Lee Jackson GP1000 and some Marshall custom ones) and I was thinking about modifying one side of the 50/50 for EL34s. Haven't seen the schematic yet but i expect that I will have to make bias adjustable and use a separate bias configuration for the EL34 side (plus all the other necessary changes to use el34s), but apart from that, can it be done? Will the PT handle the extra current requirement of the two EL34 tubes? Any reason not to pursue this road at all?

Thanks

Without anything about how difficult this mod would be or what it might sound like, the first thing that comes to my mind is that since the circuit was designed for 6L6s, you might find it doesn't really sound as it was meant to (i.e. in a bad way) with EL34s. This is not necessarily a reason not to try it, but I'm guessing Mesa went with 6L6s for a reason.

Latest posts

Back