3 Channel Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier Users - Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks LouE! This is a tremendous help. This dates Rev E down to the 32,000 range. With Rev C+ going to at least 27,000 or so, we've only got a 5,000 unit window for a Rev D to be made. So, it was either very short lived, or bypassed completely.

Anyone out there have a Recto in that range that can chime in (28000 - 31000 or so)?

3ch Dual Rectifier 2002
S/N 031962
Rev E

Original Tubes:
6L6GC STR430
12AX7 Russian 2

I bought this amp brand new in factory sealed box from Steve @ Guitar Center in Seven Corners, VA.
No mods, still running original tubes. Great sounding example.

3124+ said:
3ch Dual Rectifier 2002
S/N 031962
Rev E

Original Tubes:
6L6GC STR430
12AX7 Russian 2

I bought this amp brand new in factory sealed box from Steve @ Guitar Center in Seven Corners, VA.
No mods, still running original tubes. Great sounding example.

Awesome. This is great information, and helps narrow the gaps even further. I have a buddy with a Rev E. As soon as I get a chance to document it, I'll get the update made. I've got Rev C and Rev C+ documented and photographed.

Silverwulf said:
Is there anyone with a mid to late 40,000 serial 3 channel that can confirm what revision they have?

3ch Dual Rectifier 2007
S/N 048483
Rev E

3124+ said:
Silverwulf said:
Is there anyone with a mid to late 40,000 serial 3 channel that can confirm what revision they have?

3ch Dual Rectifier 2007
S/N 048483
Rev E

You're on a roll! I'll grab the Rev E from my buddy this weekend and get a full update made. I think I've got enough to at least draw some educated assumptions now.

Silverwulf said:
Just start Version 1.0 of the guide and added the entry for Rev C! Now posted, will be requesting a sticky.

Just read the guide; really, really cool and interesting to read. Definatly sticky material! Great work Silverwulf! I look forward for more. Thanks for sharing your hard work, research, and years of knowledge!

Thanks for the effort. Also, those are some nice PCB shots. Some initial thoughs:

Compared to rev C+, there are some minor layout changes here and there on the clean channel. Other than that and the mentioned caps, it seems to be pretty much identical. Rev D seems to introduce some other changes, but I need more quality PCB shots to confirm.

Those larger filter caps Silverwulf mentioned are in the low voltage supply circuit and shouldn't have any effect on the tone - unless there was something considerably wrong with it to begin with. Are the B+ supply cap pairs 10uF/450V? If those would be 15uf, that would definitely make the amp more akin to the 2 channel model.

SamuelJ86 said:
Just read the guide; really, really cool and interesting to read. Definatly sticky material! Great work Silverwulf! I look forward for more. Thanks for sharing your hard work, research, and years of knowledge!

Thanks! It has a long way to go, but I think it's off to a good start. I'll go back through today and clean up the typos after my morning coffee from typing at 12 AM... :mrgreen:

Shemham said:
Thanks for the effort. Also, those are some nice PCB shots. Some initial thoughs:

Compared to rev C+, there are some minor layout changes here and there on the clean channel. Other than that and the mentioned caps, it seems to be pretty much identical. Rev D seems to introduce some other changes, but I need more quality PCB shots to confirm.

Those larger filter caps Silverwulf mentioned are in the low voltage supply circuit and shouldn't have any effect on the tone - unless there was something considerably wrong with it to begin with. Are the B+ supply cap pairs 10uF/450V? If those would be 15uf, that would definitely make the amp more akin to the 2 channel model.

I'll take a few more shots the next time I have the chassis out. I'm trying to take relatively hi-res shots so folks can zoom in as far as they like.

Rev C and Rev C+ are fairly close indeed. You'll see when Rev C+ is updated soon, but there's a few other differences as well. I'll try to get that updated today.

I guess it begs the question if the transformers in later models introduced some of the fizz? I assume you have played professionally modded amps, like Voodoo's Recto. Could you comment on Mercury transformers?

My tests have included DI to my Nova System from the Send jack. The preamp sounds much clearer and sharper through the NS than through a cab. I know the power amp lends a layer of fat, but I haven't found a definite cause of fizz in it. A transformer update would make sense as being a cause.

I have a 3 channel recto that to me sounds a little different then others I've played. The serial number is R- 017437. My question is .. Is this a Revc? Mine has no line above the output and solo controls, the trademark symbol is there also. The power tf is 562105. Any help would be great.

It sounds like it may be a C. That serial number falls in between the known serial number cut-off points that Silverwulf has noted that the revision change likely occurred. If you feel comfortable enough to pull out the chassis you can confirm for sure.

I have what I was told is a 2004 Triple Rectifier. Here is the info on mine to add to your records.

Rev: C+
Serial: R-0285xx
Brackets and "Loop Active" are present.
"TM" on front logo.

Ronn said:
I have a 3 channel recto that to me sounds a little different then others I've played. The serial number is R- 017437. My question is .. Is this a Revc? Mine has no line above the output and solo controls, the trademark symbol is there also. The power tf is 562105. Any help would be great.

Sorry for the delay. Work travel and life in general, but now I'm back again... :mrgreen:

It would be really interesting to know what this one is! Cosmetically, all signs point to Rev C, but this is also right around the time that the transition to Rev C+ started happening, so there's some chassis overlap there.

Right now, the earliest confirmed Rev C+ is R-017882, and it also has the 561140 PT in it. So, the 561140 PT definitely extends into the very early Rev C+ models. With that in mind, if yours is stock, it should definitely have the 561140 PT in it. The 562105 is the Dual Rectifier OT.

If you're ever up for pulling your chassis, this one would be great to know! That would either narrow down Rev C to lasting into the R-017430 range, or it would drop the confirmed start date of Rev C+ down by over 400.

Latest posts

Back