NAD

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Picked up a gig playing bass. Needed an amp. Sold some things, bought an amp.

Mesa D-800 and Subway 1x15. Sounds great. I plan on adding the 1x12 in a few months when I have more money.

IMG_1600.jpg

Dang! :p You're not messing around dude. Congrats on the head, I bet that thing can really bring the thunder. It's massive! 8 kt88's!!!! lol. I suspect that thing puts a big grin on your face.

I see you subtracted some gear from your sig. You're not turning into an ex guitar player are you?

SamuelJ86 said:
Dang! :p You're not messing around dude. Congrats on the head, I bet that thing can really bring the thunder. It's massive! 8 kt88's!!!! lol. I suspect that thing puts a big grin on your face.

I see you subtracted some gear from your sig. You're not turning into an ex guitar player are you?

Not an ex guitar player, but I don't have as much time for it. I'm working on being a legit bassist and not a guitarist who plays bass.

Traded in one my PRS for my first J-Bass and one of my Dual Rectifiers for a second J-Bass. Traded in the first bass pictured up top towards the 4x10 pictured below.

I brought it to rehearsal last night, which was the first time I got to crack the volume on it. Sounded killer... nice tube overdrive without being too dirty. Guitarist said it felt like he was being hit in the chest, and the keyboard player said every time he looked over at me I was grinning like a little kid with a new toy. Sonically, it was a good match for the band and once I had the settings dialled in I felt pretty confident that this was a good choice.

I experimented a bit with distortion and fuzz too. I could never get them to sound right with the D800/Subway rig, but through the Strategy/410 they sound killer. I don't think it's the D800s fault... i think they were voiced for an 810.

Gigged it last night. Sounded killer.

I ended up ditching my MXR Bass Distortion and Bass Fuzz. I felt like I was constantly fiddling with them and could never seem to get a tone I consistently liked. Traded them for a Red Llama, which sounded f*cking killer in the mix. Has a loose breakup that sounds kind of like a tube amp that's pushed to the edge. You can kind of see in the lower right corner of the picture.

Ran the amp in low power mode (125w) and it had plenty of volume. Had the gain and master just under 12:00, so a decent amount of drive/compression. Cut a bit of highs and mids to get it to sit underneath the band a little bit and that was that... great tone all night.

IMG_1841.jpg

Livestream of my band.

Bass Strategy DI'd (post-EQ) into the soundboard. Powerhouse 410 on stage for monitoring.
The acoustic is plugged into my Electra Dyne.
Electric's an Orange TH30/Randall 4x12. Been trying to convince him he wants a Rectifier. It's a work in progress.

https://www.facebook.com/theyegmusic/videos/761777444003941/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Edit: And Mesa... if you're reading this thread, I could really use some sort of artist deal on tubes. 8x KT88s is f*cking expensive...

Back