Electradyne 1x12, wiring additional cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to whoever read's this,

I have just registered to this forum and i did searched for a while before posting this.

I own a Mesa Boogie Electradyne 1x12.
Also I have a cabinet with a speaker Electrovoice EVM -18B (18” driver), which doesn’t proivde a stapmed value for the impedance. I measured it and the results is 6 ohm (which am guessing it is the minimum value). Searching on the net by the speaker model I stumbled upon this pdf which gives the nominal and minimal value. I have uploaded the specification google drive and here is the link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5FJr1RqWT-RLVZDdnhKakg0QVk/view?usp=sharing

Also I have read the manual for the electradyne and the additional 5 pages for wiring, however my amplifier has a switch for 4 and 8 ohm, and all provided examples are from different apms.
My questions are:
1. Does the switch 4-8 ohm impacts both cabinet inserts available in the back of the amp (as there is a arrow pointing only toward one of them)?
2. Can I use the Electradyne’s speaker (inside the combo) which is 8ohm and the Electrovoice toghether. If yes, should I set the to 4 ohm? I know that if the cabinet inserts are wired in parallel inside the amp the end result will be to 4 ohm if 2 8ohm speakers are connected. I know that having a smaller impedance might result into a possible damage as I=U/R.
3. If I only use the electrovoice speaker alone I'm guessing i should put the switch back to 8 ohm (even thou leaving in 4 ohm should not result in demage to the amp)

Any experiences out there.
Thanks
Marjan

Most speakers rated at 8 ohms measure more than 4 and less than 8 ohms. if you use both speakers, set the selector to 4 ohms. If just using one or the other, set the selector to 8 ohms.

thunda1216 said:
Most speakers rated at 8 ohms measure more than 4 and less than 8 ohms. if you use both speakers, set the selector to 4 ohms. If just using one or the other, set the selector to 8 ohms.

Thank you for your reply.

If you do not have the manual yet, you can down load it from Mesa in the support section on their website.

You can run a single 8 ohm speaker using the 4 ohm setting as this will not harm the amp since the load is higher than the expected load. Mesa calls this a safe miss-match. In the Mark V manual they recommend it for experimentation. May be similar in the Dyne.

When it comes to pairing two 8 ohm speakers, use the 4 ohm switch setting. If you had two 16 ohm speakers you could make use them with the switch set to 8 ohms as the combined load would be 8 ohm. The pair of speaker jacks are parallel and use the same OT taps. The switch selects which tap off of the OT will be applied to the jacks. The speaker pictograms are general and are not amp specific. The manual should have a full description on use of the speaker jacks and impedance switch.

Thanks. It is a bit older post. Yeah i pretty much tried all the combinations. I also have build by my self an external cabinet and loaded with a cream alnico celestion.
I=U/R and P=U*I givs all the necesary details to understand that using a larger ohm speaker into amp with lower ohm is safe. But at the time of the post i really wanted to see if someone had tried the combinations.
Thanks for your reply.

How does the Cream Alnico sound with the Dyne? I am loving mine with the Mark V. Thought I had an issue but not, it was something else. I probably should have returned the amp long ago when I first started having issues within the first 2 months. Amp was eating tubes up. that was just the starting point of further issues, regardless of the problems I have had with the Mark V, it sounds really great with the Celestion Cream 90W Alnico. I have to question myself, would I get another Cream to replace the current one if I blew it up, Yes I would. First I would probably sell my Mark V combo and get another one then swap speakers. I think my V is a lemon but for now it is running much better after restoring the fixed bias much closer to its original state. So far tubes have not failed but may be too early to tell.

bandit2013 said:
How does the Cream Alnico sound with the Dyne? I am loving mine with the Mark V. Thought I had an issue but not, it was something else. I probably should have returned the amp long ago when I first started having issues within the first 2 months. Amp was eating tubes up. that was just the starting point of further issues, regardless of the problems I have had with the Mark V, it sounds really great with the Celestion Cream 90W Alnico. I have to question myself, would I get another Cream to replace the current one if I blew it up, Yes I would. First I would probably sell my Mark V combo and get another one then swap speakers. I think my V is a lemon but for now it is running much better after restoring the fixed bias much closer to its original state. So far tubes have not failed but may be too early to tell.

I will follow back with more detailed approch (pocs and all if interested). I had only a small window to play throgh the speaker, i would like to make some comparative recordings as i have also build a "studio" (kind of dont lile that word studio). It sounds brighter (subjectievly) but it is in a closed cab and i much prefer the sound vs the combo. I think the room is creating some huge uncontrolable low frequencies that are reduced maybe even up to 70% with the closeback cab. It might take me some time am kind of in a "rush" period. First time father and all :)

Back