Studio Preamp not sounding as it should

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzman1997

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first post here. I recently snagged a Studio Pre off of Reverb for a pretty good price, but the sound is nothing like what I've heard in demos and presets from the manual don't sound anything like they should. Trying to get a tight, saturated metal tone I've had to go all the way up to Volume: 10, Treble: 10, Bass: 0, Middle: 4, Reverb: 0, Lead Drive: 10, Lead Master: 3, and put an SD-1 in front with the Volume and Tone knobs totally pegged. Even then, there is still some bass flub and this ear-piercing buzz/whistle in the treble region even with both the 2200 and 6600 EQ sliders all the way down. I messaged the seller and he told me that the tubes had just recently been changed (they are all Mesa brand and look fresh to me) so I'm wondering if something got knocked around in shipping. Have any of you had a Studio Pre acting like this before, or do you think I should sent it to Mesa for servicing?

I've never encountered that problem, but that sure as hell ain't right.

Is there any difference if you use the effects send instead of the main outs (or vice versa depending on how you have it connected to your power amp)? You should be able to get a massive lead tone with the volume on 2 or 3 and the lead drive around 7 or 8.

Whoopysnorp said:
I've never encountered that problem, but that sure as hell ain't right.

Is there any difference if you use the effects send instead of the main outs (or vice versa depending on how you have it connected to your power amp)? You should be able to get a massive lead tone with the volume on 2 or 3 and the lead drive around 7 or 8.

Tried the main outs, the effects send and recording out. The recording output takes away most of the high end sizzle, but then it sounds like I have a thick blanket over the amp.

I should have mentioned this in the OP but I've tried using a 6505+ and a Marshall 3203 as power amps (both into a V30 cab) both of which give the same poor results. Even straight into my computer with impulses it doesn't sound quite right.

I've seen all of those YouTube demos where people are getting massive lead tones by plugging straight into the amp with Lead Drive on like 5, so something definitely seems off with mine.

Yeah, you've got troubles, I'm afraid. Best thing to do is to take it to a qualified Mesa tech, or even send it back to Mesa for service.

Look fresh does not mean they are fresh. Do a full tube swap with new Mesas or your favorite brand, but make sure they are from a reputable source.

Latest posts

Back