Problem W/ New To Me Electra Dyne

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmmallinson

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

It has literally been years since I've been on TBB and since I've owned a Mesa amp. Glad to be back. I just acquired a 2009 Electra Dyne 1x12 Widebody. It is by far my favorite amp to date. I have one issue with regards to which I require your advice and wisdom. When I engage the reverb, it adds a ton of gain on the HI/LO and a pretty healthy amount on the clean. I do happen to know that the gentleman I acquired it from had just had it retubed with a JJs tube set. Is it possible that the tube that drives the reverb is a high output tube? If so which tube should I replace it with? Or what else could be the issue?

The Dyne is designed to have all 12AX7, including the loop and reverb drivers.

One quirk of that amp is that the reverb bypasses the loop. So if you have an FX unit in the loop and use that to control master volume by dropping the FX output signal, the reverb will come out super loud by comparison.

How low are you running the volume?

I find the ED doesn't start to "work right" until it has a bit of volume behind it. At extremely low volumes the reverb tends to add a harsh brightness that goes away as the amp's volume increases.

So, I haven't run any effects in the loop as of yet. However, I am running the MV about as low as it can be and still sound decent. I live in an apartment that necessitates that practice. I imagine that is the issue. I suppose I should start shopping for an attenuator. Thanks for the help!

cmmallinson said:
So, I haven't run any effects in the loop as of yet. However, I am running the MV about as low as it can be and still sound decent. I live in an apartment that necessitates that practice. I imagine that is the issue. I suppose I should start shopping for an attenuator. Thanks for the help!

I had the same issue with master volume and tinkered passive volume box as an solution. Just one 250k log pot in fx loop and the issue is a bit more manageable :) it is not perfect or anything but better than the jumpy MV which would travel from dead to earthquake with one small nudge (at least it felt that way when children are sleeping ;)) The reverb is not working properly as it is post fx loop...

Just a cheap alternative to attenuator..

Back