Mesa JH-2C

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryswanson

Reaction score
Now that I have your attention :twisted: Everyone knows including Mesa that if they made a James Hetfield sig amp they would sell **** loads of them. It makes good business sense. So I was thinking that maybe we should start brain storming ideas here to help Mesa with there inevitable quest to build the next big thing.

So here is as good as place as any to start. I myself don't know have the knowledge to contribute technically but I do know I have money that will leave my bank account at an astoundingly rapid rate if the before mentioned amp ever came into reality.

So let's make it happen!

Mesa should collaborate with Roland and throw a ss clean channel in there. Then you could have 3 lead channels, with 3 GEQs. In each channel have a three way voicing toggle. The middle position always being normal mode. The other two toggle positions for each channel will be voiced for an album. So you'll have a puppets mode, a justice mode, a black mode, a load mode :lol:, a garage mode, and finally a magnetic mode. Simul-class and a crunch berries logo on the front. Bam!

images

A built in noisegate. The one in my KK is awesome. I throw a ropey old microphonic P90 into it with tonnes and tonnes of gain dialled in and it still keeps the thing quiet. And helps tighten the sound up a bit too.

I don't understand the infatuation with the Roland JC120. It's a good solid state amp but has nowhere near the character of even a basic Marshall clean sound. Let alone the good stuff that Fender and Mesa call a clean sound.

How would you go about the drive sound? A graphic and then a parametric straight after? I wonder how interested Mesa would be in copying a 2203's power amp. Personally I find my MkV's simulclass setting uncomfortable for metal. I prefer 45watt A/B and even find class A better in some respects. But like I said, that's a personal thing.

I mean, if we really wanted to get the James Hetfield amp from the old days, we'd need this:

Roland Jazz Chorus Clean channel
Mark IIC+(+?) preamp for lead channel
Mesa Graphic EQ, then a built in Parametric EQ.
Two mode power amp: Mode one is a 100w marshall power section with EL34s, Mode two is a 200 watt SimulClass power section from the Strategy 400 power amp.

And if you want to take this to it's logical conclusion...
...you'd add a second amp inside in stereo which runs a diezel lead circuit into a Mesa Graphic EQ.

Barring this, I'm not really sure what we would or could expect differently than the JP2C or the Mark V renditions.

I don't think Mesa would go too much outside of house for another signature amp.
To be fair and because I think it needs saying. I've a lot of respect for Mesa not going along the signature root, to any appreciable degree. Especially over the last 10 years when things must have been slow for a high end amp maker.
I mean, look at all the companies that immerse themselves in the signature thing. And how those things never meet expectation.
I fell for it. I bought the Marshall 2203KK simply for that Slayer sound. Did it deliver it? No, in short. Mainly because the sounds we hear are much further processed from the amp in the room. And then you have the whole gamut of gear going into the front end.
I think Mesa realised that and considered that it would actually work against them. How much signature gear do we look at think, "paid for that fella to put his name on it. So they could sell it".

I think given the level of support given to and from Petrucci. His endorsement is a different thing. He constantly uses Mesa amps. Is always seen with them. Whether that's gigging or on instruction videos. His sound is very much Mesa. To not endorse him would be foolish.
If Mesa were to go along the same route with Hetfield, could they guarantee the same level of loyalty? We already know Hetfield is super secretive about his settings. I saw the settings taken from his Mark V and I don't believe that's what he uses at all. I think he turned the knobs to keep em hidden. Those settings are pretty close to what I gig with. I lower the low mids a little more and use less high end on the EQ. They work well for my band.

It's a nice idea, I think I'd be more interested in a Mk2C+ rack preamp. Though I really like the twin power amp idea. I wouldn't want to see it happen with 6550's or KT88's.

You know what I reckon if it did happen it would probably be a rectifier with a five band EQ

barryswanson said:
You know what I reckon if it did happen it would probably be a rectifier with a five band EQ

Probably.
Heaven preserve us. It'd be guitar shops full of wasp sounding guitars, all over the world. As an army of 15 year olds sought to rid the world of mid frequencies

Nicklotsaguitars said:
barryswanson said:

Probably.
Heaven preserve us. It'd be guitar shops full of wasp sounding guitars, all over the world. As an army of 15 year olds sought to rid the world of mid frequencies

Boogie Board quote of the year!

Dreamtheaterrules said:
Nicklotsaguitars said:
barryswanson said:

Probably.

Boogie Board quote of the year!

Amen!! Soooooo funny. :lol:

Nicklotsaguitars said:
barryswanson said:

Probably.

I, for one, cannot fathom why Mesa put the mid dial and 750Hz slider onto their amps. They're never used by anyone, anywhere - just a waste of circuitry and front-panel real estate. Writing a letter to my MP to petition for all mid frequencies to removed. From everything. Everywhere. Including human speech.

Back