1960 A 4 ohm cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot

Reaction score
I think I know the answer to this but am asking cause I didn't want to argue w/ someone when I wasn't sure. I've got a 5 50 express that I wanna hook up to a cabinet for a upcoming gig. have a marshall 4 ohm 4 12 available but pretty sure I shouldn't plug it into my express. The manual says I can plug my combo speaker into 1 of the 2 4 ohm jacks on back of amp and cab into other jack as long as cab is 8 ohms, right ??
any help would be great
Thanks
Scot

The 4 ohm cab should only be used by itself.
Does that mean I can use the 4 ohm cab with my combo as an extension with out my combo speaker ? (yes it is still the 8 ohm speaker)

Okay I've done a little research and am now more confused :lol: the cabinet is either 4 or 16 ohm in mono or 8 ohms in stereo. what I gather is that I can just unplug my combo speaker and connect the 16 ohm mono jack of the cabinet into the single 8 ohm jack on amp and should be okay ?? and leave the 2 4ohm jacks empty. sorry don't really understand the impendence conversions, up good down bad

A 1960 cab should be 16ohms, so if it's 4ohms total, it has been rewired. If you bought it used and aren't sure, I'd open it and confirm both the speaker impedance and the wiring scheme. Then you can connect it to your amp armed with real knowledge.

8ohm output on the express into the 16ohm box is ok..

if you want to use 4ohm outputs you need to use both of them at the same time...for example with two 1x12 8ohm boxes...thats it!
it's explained in the manual..

Latest posts

Back